cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rawintellect
Miniboss

Hardware acceleration bug is NOT fixed.

When hardware acceleration is turned on in chrome, steam, discord, Blizzard launcher or ANYTHING that uses it ANY game played will black screen forcing a hard reboot. With hardware acceleration off none of this occurs. Which is to say you have not fixed this particular bug. I know in the release notes it mentions a specific scenario of having a RX Vega  series card and running Folding@Home, but this is the same behavior that has existed for at least a full year now. Please address this.

Test this yourself. I have done clean installs with DDU and factory reset. Nothing was carried over from previous drivers. This bug is NOT fixed.

AMD, I'm a patient guy. Please do not say you've fixed something when you haven't. I realize you say you only fixed this specific case but I'm bringing this to your attention in hopes it will be universally addressed.

P.S. Enhanced sync has been broken since you turned it off in game profiles in 19.xx.x, It can be turned on, but will reset itself to off upon rebooting the computer. Also note enhanced sync is off when I'm testing the aforementioned black screen issue. So it's NOT enhanced sync causing the black screens.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB 
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit 1909
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 

• Display Devices
    • Make and model, connection/adapter in use, resolution and refresh rate; e.g. ASUS MG248QR 1900x1080 @144Hz 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • ROG Strix X399-E Gaming American Megatrends Bios Version 1203
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Antec HCP1000 Platinum Power Supply 1000 Watts

• RAM
    • 64GB
19 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

In my case, I have the same issue as you, but someone said I have old PSU. Is the old PSU can cause the black screen and freeze too?

0 Likes

I seriously doubt it's my power supply. It's 1000 watts. But you didn't say what PSU you had?

It’s definitely not psu, I’ve tried 3 different psu's since the purchase of rx 5700 and all possible combinations of power connection. The problem is that the driver somehow conflicts with the operating system, or some software that causes the driver to fail. A system that is stable in stress tests can hang in light games that do not even load the graphics card. It's just funny when I can play for several hours in cod warzone, and then get a black screen in a 2D game on unity, or in csgo in which the system is almost idle. Perhaps the driver also conflicts with certain combinations of hardware, but this does not cancel the fact that this hardware works without errors separately from this videocard and driver. Why amd can not contact some users who are experiencing these problems, so that they provide their pc, and amd could debug the problem, and understand what could conflict by analogy and fix it?

Yes, you're right. I have tried many different kind of stress test and the system is normal with no black screen/blue screen/freeze issue. But when I play games, somehow black screen and freeze happen in random. 

0 Likes

By the way, since the moment of using rx 5700, I have been observing a lag when switching viewing modes on youtube, for example, from normal to full-screen, and also when scrolling through comments. There are no such problems even on my 10 year old PC at work

0 Likes

Have they acknowledged this issue? not knowing how to fix this issue is the most annoying thing!

0 Likes

They are "monitoring" it. I've been having this problem with Radeon VII since the 2020 update released back in November/December. While it does seem slightly more stable now on 20.4.2, I still get blackscreen and crashes on certain software. As far as I know there's no general fix and I haven't seen an update from AMD saying that one is on the way.

One thing that has helped mitigate the crashes is turning off hardware acceleration on my web browser, as I always had system hangs and crashes when watching videos online. As for games, it's just a pot luck really, some work fine others not so much.

osulf
Adept I

i have this problem and many others with the ultimate Radeon Software, APPCRASH's, BSOD (system Service Exception), Drivers Crashes.... i don't know if they release a new GPU with all this issues and bugs and even drivers certifications with Windows who sometimes doesn't recognize the drivers or updates... it's so frustrating, i spend a lot of money thinking in a good and the best product and i receive this. I try all the tipes of configurations of the Drivers and of my SO and Bios and nothing, i have a thread with my issues and specifications of my PC, (https://community.amd.com/thread/252321
am just until now...disapointed from AMD

rainingtacco
Challenger

Try a different monitor and see if it helps. I also encounters some black screens in HA applications. Thankfully i only need to turn on the monitor again. 

0 Likes
toshi_ltd
Adept I

I think ive narrowed down the issue to these 3 programs iCue, afterbuner and riva tuner. since deleting them, ive not had crashes for over a week + im using software with hardware acceleration on. Took some time to get used to amd fan curves, but feels much beter using the pc, without the fear of it crasging.

0 Likes
rufus_pt
Adept I

Hello everyone.

I'm having this issue also...but but but...i have one thing different from you.

Previous setup: Vega 56 + AMD FX

Current setup: VEGA 56 +  Ryzen

Swaped Mobo+RAM+CPU ONLY!!!

In my PREVIOUS setup, I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS ISSUE!!!!

This is driving me NUTS and this really happens in 2D ambient with hardware acceleration requested by any software: i have this issue mainly with battle.net launcher (warzone).

This is ridiculous a GPU with almost 2 years having such issue...considering buying NVIDIA or returning the new setup...

0 Likes

Still broken on 20.12.1. Can’t get anything accelerated video wise...totally locks up the computer. Doesn’t matter if it’s YouTube, steam, discord, twitch, or even windows elements like the loading circle. Will randomly crash on all of it. You can game for 18 hours straight without a single crash, but the moment you stop and do something lower powered and basic, it’s game over. :,((((

0 Likes

If I run a Game in a window plus VLC Media Player, my PC will hang up randomly within 10 minutes or 1h - but it always will crash.
It always ended in a grey screen and PC death.

Since I disabled the Hardware acceleration within VLC, the driver never crashed again.

Radeon RX Vega 64 Card

0 Likes

I know this is a bit late but i have a new Rx 6800 xt and have the same issue, when playing games i get stuttering and micro freezes. I searched and searched for the issue didnt find anything wrong. Dissabled hardware acceleration in spotify and now it works a bit better not perfect but its at least playable again. 

And what do we learn from this ... next time go with Nvidea!!!

0 Likes

Try removing all the graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller and install the latest version of the Adrenalin software.

I also have RX 6800 XT but I am not experiencing such issues (I have removed my previous Nvidia drivers using DDU)

0 Likes
Raikxge
Journeyman III

Still having this issue I first encountered it using chrome, teams, discord, and VLC.

It's crazy I didn't have any issues before and suddenly after the Adrenaline update last month, it goes to **bleep**. I highly doubt its any sort of hardware issue: Ryzen 5600x, Rx 6900Xt Powercolor, Corsair HX1000 PSU

0 Likes
HalfGrape
Adept II

Hardware Acceleration doesn't seem like the issue, I disabled it a long time ago and still got black screens forcing a hard reboot.

Nearly 3 weeks ago I installed AMD Software as minimal installation and no black screen since, I hope that was the solution. I have nothing enabled but AMD FreeSync and 10-bit colors, I'll gradually enable more stuff to dig deeper.

0 Likes
Mihai95
Journeyman III

i have same problem on asus rog strix g15 amd ryzen 7  6800h  rtx 3060 ,new out of the box . Using igpu for hardware accelerated videos  will often  black screen   causing  the screen to refresh  . disabling igpu in armory crate and  using just nvidia fixes the problem but is a battery killer , or disabling  HW on everething that  IGPU is using for video play back  . this is some bull**bleep** from amd  flagship hardware ......!!!!!!!

0 Likes
riin4
Journeyman III

Same problem here (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X + MSI RX 6800 XT Gaming X Trio).

It started to freeze sometimes after Adrenaline 23.9.1 update, and the problem become common after the 23.9.2. now with the 23.9.3 become impossible to use anything running Hardware Acceleration features, like Chrome or Discord!

It sounds like a major bug. I have spent 1k USD on a GPU that can't even run Chrome preperly? seriously?

0 Likes