cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mutantxdvd
Adept III

hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling , where is it?

I updated to the new windows 10  update 2004, have new drivers WDDM 2.7, but there's no hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling settings. 

54 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

I also have this problem. I can't see it.

0 Likes
accn
Elite

Perhaps this option is not supported for amd by the current driver version, or by the current windows build.  It's possible to change this option using the registry, but I won't risk trying it

0 Likes
bobalazs
Elite

You're looking for something that doesn't exist.

Nvidia got it working,Intel and Amd not yet.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

why AMD doesn't work  WDDM 2.7  ??

0 Likes

AMD has nothing to do with what your going on about.

0 Likes

AMD needs to allow it through drivers. MS just added the option in their OS. Nvidia is the only one supporting it because they allowed it in the latest driver update.

0 Likes

And if you read the thread below, you will see that two reputable review sites, WCCFTech and TomsHardware, obtained contradictory results, WCCFTech showed an 8% increase in performance with the GTX 1050 and 0% improvement with a 2080Ti in two games, while TomsHardware tested 5 games and got an effective 0% improvement, and actually had a decrease in performance in some cases. So it seems, at best, this is a feature intended for 4GB cards at least at the present time, something AMD themselves say not to buy despite continuing to sell.

https://community.amd.com/thread/254491 

WCCFTech

reputable

choose only one

0 Likes

It works with windows 10 2004 + adrenalin 20.5.1 drivers.

yes i know it works with the new version i talk about the hardware accelerated GPU planning settings

0 Likes

You are really obsessed....Hardware accelerated GPU is a Microsoft program...comes with the OS. Please go ask Microsoft...not here.

0 Likes

WDDM 2.7
Windows 10 20H1 (Version 2004) includes WDDM 2.7.
Available in Windows 10 Insider builds starting from 10.0.19041.84.

• Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling : It allows the video card to directly manage its video memory, which in turn significantly improves the performance of the minimum and average FPS, and thereby reducing latency. It works regardless of the API used for games and applications such as DirectX / Vulkan / OpenGL.
  • Shader Model 6.5
  • DirectX 12 Ultimate (DX 12.2)
  • DirectX 12 Raytracing Tier 1.1
  • DirectX 12 Mesh Shader
  • DirectX 12 Sampler Feedback: Texture Streaming, Texture-Space Shading
  • DirectX 12 Video Protected Resource Support

you're not capable to use dx12.2 with AMD card . Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling  was the most important thing.

If you have 2 monitors you know what it means. Stability, fix of vsync issues of using two different vertical sync monitors, etc.

I fail to see why you don't see the importance of THAT.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

Why aren't AMD cards capable of DX12.2 ? I don't know what goes on with the Insider group...not much I think. Instead of reporting issues to Microsoft as they are supposed to do..they complain to the app/program vendor. AMD has nothing to do with GPU scheduling. That is a Microsoft program. If it works or not, if it shows up or not, is not a AMD issue. It is controlled by the OS.

https://community.amd.com/thread/253463 

0 Likes

If it's hardware scheduling how could it be MS program? MS doesn't write any  drivers, or offer Amd software.

They said dx 12 later this year, so let's hope. but probably expensive, and i won't sell my cards yet.

that dx12 extension is raytracing fyi.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT

Nope. MS put in OS support but GPU vendors have to make it work through drivers.

0 Likes

Windows OS has a basic memory and timing model for GPUs. It consists of many components, but all in all three sys files describe how the memory segments, DMA buffers, issued commands, the preemption itself, the device interface acceleration, certain memory control functions, etc. It's a standard model that the manufacturers build the gpu driver's scheduling. Meanwhile the hardware could work differently, so occasionally the windows standard model isn't optimal, because of compatibility requirements. Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling essentially is that the manufacturer can customize the scheduling to the hardware, and gpu driver's scheduling could be more independent. The benefits are evident, because closer-to-hardware model could mean better performance, in theory, in practice it shows the opposite for now. We could see a better model soon, it's not possible to know yet.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT

WDDM 2.6 contre 2.7 rx 5600 xt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC7K_958dnA

0 Likes

You are really obsessed....Hardware accelerated GPU is a Microsoft program...comes with the OS. Please go ask Microsoft...not here.

0 Likes

My rx5700 got a noticeable performance boost after the May update, I compared the performance in 3Dmark Firestrike and Timespy and I got a 3-5% increase.

me too i noticed when i tested some games on my pc i got an rx 580 asus with the new driver 20.5.1 and the new windows version 2004...................but I noticed another problem when activating superposition of the performers I have a huge slowdown and but fps lag

0 Likes

20.5.1 when you turn on performance overlay, there's is slowdown and fps problem. 

0 Likes

Yes a lot

0 Likes

so if you have problem use previous stable version problem solved.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes
wwwwawannnn
Adept II

Where're AMD engineers? we need info from reliable sources ,

here info from wiki, intel has remove support for hardware accelerated gpu scheduling with its final driver, so then this is not just microsoft program  like somebody said above.:

"

Windows 10 May 2020 Update[49] (Version 2004) includes WDDM 2.7.

• Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: an additional option in the system settings, which increases the minimum and average fps to reduce latency, requires a minimum version of shader model 6.3 in hardware from the video card. nVidia GeForce has support since the 10th series or later, but AMD Radeon only with the RX 5000th series, Intel removed support in the final drivers."

Windows Display Driver Model - Wikipedia 

mentioned above its required minimum shader model 6.3 video card, so like my RX 570 should get it, not just RX 5000th series card, come on AMD.

0 Likes

Okay if you are hoping for miracle performance improvements, you can simply forget about it, as i was lead to believe. In reality you can expect 3-4% performance improvement if at all, in like 4 years. So don't expect miracles from this. Anyway, as currently it is, you would need at least 10 real cores to have a real effect at all, because it's broken. It's definitely not just a "microsoft program" as i explained in above post.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT

• Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: an additional option in the system settings....system meaning OS. Not GPU. This is a trend to pass the buck to the OS as people with laptops learned a few months ago when the switchable graphics controls were removed from the GPU and turned over to Microsoft using the 'Display' setting.

Because it's a setting in MS windows does not mean it's up to Microsoft to develop.

Hardware developers write their own software that supports hardware-acc. gpu sch.ling. AMD-Nvidia-Intel

Just because a switch is there, in general, it's still up to the manufacturer to make and develop the software.

As it is currently, even if microsoft put the switch back in windows, it will not work because they turned it off (=AMD-NV-Intel)

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

Just wanted to add from WCCFTech's article on nVidia's new driver release today:

So it would appear that the GPU drivers have to have some level of support for it.

Your comment is uncomfortable for AMD guys in this forum, dude... lol "kingfish: You are really obsessed....Hardware accelerated GPU is a Microsoft program...comes with the OS. Please go ask Microsoft...not here."

0 Likes

Actually on reddit, users did ask a AMD rep and he did provide them with info telling its coming soon. But looking at some reports from Nvidia users, and benchmarks i seen, i see what 4-5 fps difference. I don't think its all that big of a deal, me personally i already get great performance in games using my setup, just have to wait and see though what it does using AMD gpus.

Which one, the one where AMD said not to buy 4GB cards, https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/05/06/game-beyond-4gb , or the one about hardware GPU scheduling not being a big deal?

0 Likes

This one "So it would appear that the GPU drivers have to have some level of support for it."

0 Likes
urielejh
Elite

Of course not, it's only for Navi based cards.. At least for now. People that paid 600 for Vega are out. They have probably planned a staggered release like RIS.

0 Likes
dfwood
Adept I

If you have either an RX5700 or RX5600 Series GPU, then you can download driver with Graphics Hardware Scheduling Support, from the Release Notes here - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1-ghs-beta

Installing 20.5.1 HWS removed Enhanced Sync for me. Can anyone else confirm this?

0 Likes

I can confirm, no enhanced sync for me as well

mutantxdvd
Adept III

Looking at some results, doesn't seem like a big deal, people are getting what 2-7 extra fps. 

few extra fps for updating on wddm 2.7 and few extra fps for enabling HAGS together give up to 10 fps for free, it's not so bad