cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

m1llie
Journeyman III

H.264 Decoder Bug (and a bug in the bug report tool!)

I am not sure if this is the right place to report bugs, but as detailed below I am not able to use the in-built bug reporting tool in the Radeon drivers.

I'm trying to use the AMD Bug Report Tool in the Win10 Radeon drivers (22.9.1) to report an issue with corrupt/stuttering video decoding of certain bluray discs after using the seek function, but I receive a generic "Oops!" message every time I try to submit the report, so I am posting the report I would have submitted here instead:

Many (but not all) bluray discs exhibit corruption and stuttering if seek/fast forward/rewind is used during playback. If the discs are simply played at 1x speed from the beginning (or paused and resumed) there is no issue, but as soon as fast-forward, rewind, or seek is used, green blocky corruption starts to appear every few frames, and the in-between frames flicker and stutter badly. Seeking back to the very beginning of the disc will also fix the issue (but you will have to watch the film from the beginning).

This happens regardless of which media player is used. I have observed the same issue with VLC, Windows Films and TV, and MPC-BE (using LAV filters for decoding). Examples of bluray discs that cause this issue are Sunshine (2007), The Breakfast Club (30th anniversary remaster), and Twin Peaks ("The Complete Series" box set). I am testing Australian releases; releases from other regions may behave differently. I have even noticed that some segements of the same video appear more prone to the issue than others; but a segment of video which causes the issue will cause it consistently.

Playing the same discs on my other PC (which also uses Windows 10 x64 and the same media players, but has an Nvidia GTX 1660) exhibits no such issues.

If anyone from AMD reads this, please feel free to contact me if you need an excerpt from a bluray disc that causes this issue. I will remux the disc and cut out a small segment without re-encoding: The issue still occurs after remuxing/trimming.

Here is a screenshot of the corruption after seeking to the opening scene of Sunshine.

Some more info about my system:

• Windows 10 64-bit (fully up to date via windows update)
  • Radeon 6600 XT with driver version 22.9.1

I have also tried the discs/remuxes that exhibit the green flickering (after seeking on my AMD machine) on the following other devices:

• Desktop PC with Windows 10 64-bit and Nvidia GTX 1660 (VLC, MPC:BE/LAV, Windows Films and TV)
  • Laptop with Fedora 35 and Intel 1135G7/Iris Xe (VLC, Gnome Celluloid)
  • Raspberry Pi 4B with Raspberry Pi OS

All the above devices were able to play/seek the same discs/remuxes without any corruption or flickering.

5 Replies
m1llie
Journeyman III

Bump, I bought this card specifically for use in a media centre PC so blu-ray playback is pretty important to me.

mustafa811
Adept I

i have the same problem too with my 6900xt, whenever i try to seek in h.264 with high bitrate movies there is green artifacts and laggy performance

this happens with hardware h.264 1080p decoding with lav filters and mpv codecs on media player classic, please find a fix, i have tracked the problem and it has been there for a very long duration without amd addressing it, i will have a very hard time in recommending your gpus to anyone anymore.

0 Likes
Dragokar
Miniboss

May I ask if you are using the latest BRT-version found there:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

So does it happen with e.g. 23.2.2 ?

0 Likes

No i didn't use the report tool yet, may be i will, i had the problem with the 23.2.2 driver so i updated the driver to the latest one but it didn't help too, searched google to find that this is a know problem with amd gpus, also found a lot of issuses with games, am thinking of returning the gpu and asking for a refund 

0 Likes

Well, the number of reports increases the value of a needed fix, that's why I recommend sending in reports.

Games are fine btw, did not had any real game breaking bugs in years for my collection.

0 Likes