cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

seanmack
Adept I

Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt)

Hello!

Most of you were facing low FPS during non GPU intensive games, stutters, idle GPU clocks during gameplay and other things which you don't want to see your GPU is doing when you play games.

I've found a way to prevent Navi GPUs from down-clocking during games no matter how high is GPU load for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt).

Please note - i'm using AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.4.2 Beta driver. I haven't tested this on other

versions.

You can use this fix either globally or for individual games by creating a game profile.

The fix to lock GPU down-clocking is quite simple. Please read through the guide and refer to to the attached pic as an example 

The frequency set for each power state needs to be within 50 Mhz of each other, but not lower than a value of 10 Mhz (and not the same frequency as this will cause a driver lock or crash and revert). This will lock your GPU clock. Your GPU will no-longer down-clock, regardless of utilisation.

You need your voltage to be the same for the 3 power states in Wattman

Don't touch memory overclocking or the power tuning section - this will produce stutters and your memory frequency will fluctuate.. Edit your fan curve to ensure adequate cooling and you're good to go.

Refer to the attached image as an example. Choose a frequency and voltage that works for you ( and one that's stable etc ) 

Any questions let me know 

13 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

How about 5500xt? Is it not Navi or the same?

0 Likes
seanmack
Adept I

Yes it should work fine - give it a try 

morelock
Adept II

Thanks for posting, gave it a go... back in game gpu load still drops to 0 and stutters on occasion.  

Newest drivers RE2, RE3, Fallen Order, Mankind Divided.   (5700 Red Dragon) 

I feel like I've tried the vast majority of workarounds / solutions, and I'm becoming more convinced it's a case by case basis on what (if anything) will work.  Unfortunate, my couple of year old 580 runs games better than my 5700. 

blitz
Adept II

Can you do a video on this?

blitz
Adept II

is this safe will it overheat?

It's unlikely unless it was getting hot beforehand. The temps should stabilize

mickeekung
Challenger

I'm very appreciated. This solution resolve my black screen/freeze issue for at least 3 days.  I don't know why but I've try many methods and I found that this method is working for me. @amdmatt  can you pin this thread because I think it may help many users. I've been suffering from pc black screen/freeze while gaming for more than 3 months and I think this is the absolute final solution.

pixelhuh
Adept II

Like many owners of the RX 5700xt, I tried every possible way to fix black, green, blue screens, flights to the desktop, etc.

Your advice was very reassuring to me, but unfortunately in my case - it did not help, I still experience driver crashes and departures from the games

Still, thank you for your advice, I'm glad it really helped somebody. I recently wrote a ticket to amd, attaching all possible and impossible logs of my errors and data about my configuration, they advise me to wait for new drivers and thanked me for my patience. This is ridiculous, if you take into account that the problem is about a year and I have paid money for it

christiang
Adept III

Not work for me, but thanks... AMD is ridiculous.

Hi when you say it's not working for you, can you be specific. Do the clocks still downlock substantially ?

If so, the setting you're applying are incorrect.  I would try the Wattman method as it's very straighforward.

0 Likes
blitz
Adept II

Not working for me too

seanmack
Adept I

Bumping this for visibility 

0 Likes
xiip
Journeyman III

Hi, not sure if you'll see this but. I changed my min frequency and followed all the steps, adn yet im still getting harsh downclocking. Any ideas why this is?Radeon Software 23_10_2020 13_33_45.png

0 Likes