Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zedmaster
Journeyman III

Green Screen Crashes on PN50 with 4800U

Hi,

I bought a PN50 mini PC with Ryzen R7 4800U and it arrived 2 days ago. I have had countless crashes where I see a green screen with no text and have to reboot. It happened in idle, while browsing and while video editing.

It hasn't crashed yet since I uninstalled the AMD radeon video driver, so that's my best guess but i'm not sure. But I can't use video editing programs and other things without that driver. 

I have used the AMD cleanup utility to remove the driver and re-download the Radeon Adrenaline 2020 program. There you have 2 options which version to install: 20.11.2 Recommended (WHQL) and 21.2.1 Optional. I've tried both and had crashes with both of them. I now uninstalled it again. I tried to install an older version 19.12.3 but it says my graphics hardware is not supported. 

I turned off hardware acceleration of Discord and Chrome, as some people recommended it online, and have my Windows power plan set to Balanced. 

Please help

Kevin

0 Likes
6 Replies
xeleron
Miniboss

Please check if you have secure boot/UEFI boot on or off. From my field experience AMD GPUs really love booting to pure UEFI environements (no CSM, no legacy boot, no PCI Op-ROM).

0 Likes

Thanks for your response.

Secure boot is disabled. I couldn't find any options "CSM", "Legacy boot" (only fast boot, which was active and I disabled it now) or "PCI Op-ROM". 

Does your answer mean that from your experience a secure boot could work better with AMD GPUs?

0 Likes

Secure boot is not necessary. Also, keep in mind that older builds of W10 do not support „properly” Ryzen 4xxx CPUS. You MUST have W10 2004 or 20h2 at least. Source:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

0 Likes

Thanks, I had the latest windows version. I think I found the issue: I created the windows boot stick on my macbook pro and it seems like something has gone wrong there. I created a new boot stick with windows, formatted my PC and re-installed windows. Has been stable for almost 24 hours now. Hopefully that was it.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, it happened again

0 Likes

Hi.

It have same problem for long time. I have brix 4800u... 

Dd you find solution?

0 Likes