cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

JuicyMango17
Journeyman III

Graphics Driver Update bricked my pc.

I attempted to run Unreal Engine 5 to begin development on a project my friend and I want to make, And it told me my driver was out of date. Per its instructions I went to the AMD site and downloaded the updated driver automatically. My pc now refuses to accept any monitor input. The pc runs but no monitors will connect. Needless to say I am not happy.

7 Replies

Please supply PC specs as per info required, then someone may be able to offer suggestions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Chester1994
Challenger

Let´s sort it out together.

When you say that your PC refuses to accept any monitor, do you mean that you don´t even get a POST? I mean, can you at least access the system´s BIOS? Do you get any type of image or text on screen?

Drivers are downloaded inside Windows and are used when the OS is loaded, but, prior to that, you should be able to see a "Press esc to enter BIOS" or something.

If you can´t see anything, it can more than probably be fixed by doing a clear CMOS.

Unplug your computer, hold the power button for 10 seconds. Open your case, take the CMOS battery out and hold the power button for 10 seconds once again. Plug your energy cable and turn your PC on. Give it some time; certain motherboards take more than a few seconds to POST after a clear CMOS.

If you are not getting POST after what I told you, do it again but try to boot it once without any RAM stick installed on your mother. You will get no post and probably a few beeps. Unplug your computer again, re install the memory sticks, plug it and try to turn it on.

kokosmos
Adept I

Exact same issue for me. Tried to install updated driver after unreal engine 5 told me too. I get no signal at all now. Not even a post. Tried to clear CMOS with a screwdriver but doesn't help either. Such a nightmare really. 

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Like Chester1994, drivers cannot do such a thing, unless you've done a firmware upgrade and somehow it went wrong.

One more thing to try, if the GPU has dual bios, try changing from P mode to Q mode or vice versa.

And you can always try the card in another system, that will sort it out for sure.

The Englishman

Yeah seems like the motherboard got bricked honestly. Maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened in the reboot after I updated GPU drivers. I tried to unplug everything from the motherboard, GPU, RAM, hard drives etc and while it lights up and starts the fans, I don't get any beeps or anything, nor any signal from the onboard HDMI slots. I also tried a different cable. At this point I'm out of ideas.

This computer has a fairly **bleep**ty PSU so maybe motherboard got fried or something. Sad either way but I guess **bleep** happens.

0 Likes

Which CPU do you have? I mean most AMD based ones don't have any iGPU so motherboard connectors are often dead anyway.

Have you tried using VGA, DVI or something else, or connect to TV instead of monitor? Also if you have GPU installed, iGPU is likely disabled by default. Uninstall GPU, clear cmos and then try connecting to motherboards video outputs (if you haven't already).

After reinstalling GPU, did you remember to connect, not only that 24 pin to motherboard, but also CPU power cable close to CPU and two GPU powercables to PSU and to GPU (and not daisy chain one cable from PSU to two connectors on GPU)

Could be just a broken PSU. Since you'll likely need a new, good one anyway, how about first getting a good PSU and get one you can use in future builds too, so 750W or more and good quality. Seasonic Focus GX is one fairly solid, not yet super expensive option.

Remember to remove all old power cables as they are not compatible with new PSU. Connectors are, but wiring not... Combining cables from one PSU with another PSU might fry your system.

kokosmos
Adept I

Hey guys, quick update on my situation (which is not necessarily same as OP). I was able to solve my problem today after getting my hands on a monitor with DVI port. To my big surprise i actually got into both bios and windows with the DVI port, although very low res. Once in windows the driver software started up and went through the normal installation process, which restored my resolution to 1080p, i got prompted to restart which i did and the computer started to work again, even with the same HDMI cable and monitor i had used before this whole affair. 

A very weird situation for sure, still not sure why i didn't even get into bios before if this was all due to some problem on the driver's installation process but oh well. I'm glad it works now. Big thanks to everyone who took time to answer here on the forum, i was pleasently surprised by the tone and engagement even for a casual like myself.

Beat of luck to OP and anyone else that might come across this post in the future

0 Likes