cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: GPU usage spike to 100% then black screen... at idle

Alienware X51 R2 does not support a standard power supply. The PC case is very small. A PC case and a PSU can be purchased together. The processor still looks good for performance.

0 Kudos
manyregrets
Adept II

TBH I'm still not convinced that it's a power issue, since it only happens for a shortish time (during idle and low loading) and the once it clear up after a while, it's good to go and can be pushed hard. The issue is intermittent and the system hasn't really changed aside from software updates. 

What I'm really concerned about is the GPU spiking to 100% usage for no reason. Task manager and Process Explorer both don't pick up a process that's actually using it to 100%, but only that it does spike in usage to 100%. To me this seems very strange and pointless, as it can happen at any time but seems to have some graphics trigger as it's more frequent if I launch games or watch youtube in a browser. SO whatever is causing it to spike is causing the black screens, freezing and BSOD's. But once it's stopped being doing it, 100% usage for extended usage is no problem. Weird issue...

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

Yep and those Dell boards typically don't even use standard hole alignment on their boards. Everything about them is typically proprietary. I have done that kind of thing often with Acer and HP boards. They are usually standard aside from their small form factor stuff.

Only the OP can decide what is best for them. It isn't just a size thing with power supply either. They use a different plug on them and the motherboard too. You can't switch them out on many of their products.

pokester
MVP

Maybe you should just test for a software issue then by doing a clean install of Windows. All I know is as an RX 580 owner which is practically the same as yours, that the black screens are Power Related. Anytime your card goes under full load and you don't have enough power behind it, they freeze. Often black and often you will still here the sound continue. You fix this issue by raising your Power Limit Slider to it's maximum. In your case if you do that it may not help as you don't have enough power to begin with.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

1.png
2.png
3.png

Make all of WattMan settings manually as in the pictures. Also make the power -50%. These will put less load on the PSU and the system can run more stable. Check these out?

0 Kudos
manyregrets
Adept II

Yeah, sadly the X51 is very limited in ways you can upgrade it but I know it when I bought it and it was discounted. I usually do buy my own components and assemble it myself like my previous 4 gaming PC's but the last one had issues with components and really didn't perform as it should have, so I got something that was made to work as a whole. 

It's been good up until recently. It's run VR on the Oculus DK2 and CV1 before and after I put in the RX 480. I've changed the power limit on Wattman from -30% to -50% so I will see how it goes. 

manyregrets
Adept II

Okay after having the issue still this whole time, I've managed to spot that in taks manager when the black screen is occuring, DWM.exe is starting and ending during this time. I can only see if for less than a second before it disappears from Process Explorer, but have been searching the web and have seen others having this issue. Judging by the timing, this might be linked to malware in the startup? Any ideas for the best way to test for this?

0 Kudos
manyregrets
Adept II

Okay after having the issue still this whole time, I've managed to spot that in taks manager when the black screen is occuring, DWM.exe is starting and ending during this time. I can only see if for less than a second before it disappears from Process Explorer, but have been searching the web and have seen others having this issue. Judging by the timing, this might be linked to malware in the startup? Any ideas for the best way to test for this?

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If dwm.exe ie desktop manager does not work properly this can lead to problem. But this is not the case for a game. Only dwm.exe may cause black screen problem for your desktop. If you think the problem is caused by dwm.exe, do a clean installation of Windows with an USB stick.

0 Kudos
andrewingram928
Adept I

Did you ever resolve the issue? Having the exact same issue. Radeon VII. 1000w power supply. All new hardware within a year old.

0 Kudos