cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

manyregrets
Adept II

Re: GPU usage spike to 100% then black screen... at idle

Okay, thanks. It's good news, except that I still get that weird issue. Will give the DDU driver uninstall for both tomorrow, maybe it's windows throwing problems with an update to the intel driver. Thanks all for the help. Will reply tomorrow after trying the driver things again with an update on the issue.

manyregrets
Adept II

Hi all, sadly no changes. I'm still getting the issue after Safe-mode uninstalling the intel and RX480 drivers with DDU and installing Radeon software 16.6.2. Not sure what else I can do here and I reeeeeeeaally don't want to reinstall windows OS. I'm open to more ideas tho. Thanks.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Why don't you use up-to-date driver?

Remove the old driver with DDU in Windows safe mode and install the latest driver with this... https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/radeon-rx-480 
Then download and run OverdriveNTool software and...
Reset settings, then apply standard core clocks like this...
Annotation 2019-10-16 103905.png

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I offer you a solution, but you do not try. Also, stop softwares that affects the video card, such as Chrome, before running a game. Your system is intact. You shouldn't have problems.... Good luck.

0 Kudos
manyregrets
Adept II

I have used the up to date drivers, as I have mentioned before. I have tried OverdriveNTool as well, and it still didn't. Every time I have uninstalled and then used an older driver, I have then had to revert the install back to the up to date drivers. Nothing has worked so far.

Edit: also, I don't run browsers and games at the same time unless I need to. The issue can happen at idle, browsing, watching videos or gaming. There is no definite trigger. Once the issue subsides then I can do anything without issue.

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Could you indicate brand-model of the graphics card?

0 Kudos
manyregrets
Adept II

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

MSI Radeon RX 480 (Blower) already has RX 480 referans design and clock values. This problem is probably hardware-releated and PSU may be not enough, so you may purchase a new PSU (600W or higher).

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

He can't as established many posts back. His is a Dell proprietary PSU and the one he has is already the most powerful and it does not meet the minimum requirements for the card he is using. Now knowing he has the reference model those drew even more power than AMD claims as much as 155 watts through the motherboard and 300 watts total for the card, according to testing. His PSU is 330. So with degradation over time may have barely worked and now may not be. Also due to having too little power over time could have damage electronics anywhere in the system. Best he can do is buy another PSU and see if that helps, but that money would be better spent toward a new system. 

pokester
MVP

Power testing on those cards:

AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Power Consumption Results