cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SchizoidMan
Adept I

GPU usage 99% but GPU power less than 100w

Regardless of GPU, has anyone had this issue? I haven't had an AMD GPU since an ATI Radeon HD 4870 and wondering if I'm missing something.

I got reference RX 6800 XT bought from AMD and it's isn't getting full power somehow. At 1080p Battlefield 1 and Unigine Heaven Benchmark just struggle to get even 20 or 30 FPS, CPU usage hovers around 20% and isn't overheating so it's not that. GPU temp is barely at 50 C but 99% usage and between 20W to 90W, with rare spikes to 110W, or so says built in Radeon performance metrics.

Corsair HX1000 with 2 separate 8pin power cable, tested in single rail and multi rail mode, only using original PSU cables, tested all 4 of them. Also tried direct to power outlet and surge protector just for the Hell of it. Same results.

I've already submitted a ticket with AMD, no response yet and I fear that I'll have to return this card and wait months just to get a refurbished replacement.

4 Replies

Got a similar issue with most of my games regarding GPU power, but in my case GPU usage rarely goes above 30-40%. Got a new rx 5600 xt yesterday and cannot get it to run at full power in most games. Managed only in the Witcher 3 and achieved that by turning on VSR and upscaling the game to 1440p (my screen is 1080p @1440Hz)..

0 Likes
korinogaro
Adept III

Probably driver issues. But it can be also AMD "logic" that I faced couple of times with 5700XT. Turn on VSR and turn on your game in 4k. Check if you have the same problem. Plus did you make a clean driver instal? Use DDU to remove old drivers and instal new one.

0 Likes

Yes, it must be the drivers as I used DDU. I even tried installing just the driver, without the radeon software (adrenaline), but didn't see any difference. The only option that remains and some people have had success with is to reinstall win10 as I haven't done this in years.

0 Likes

I also tried installing just the driver without radeon software, oddly enough I got better performance in benchmarks but still bad. went for 20 FPS average to 40 but very stuttery and only using around 100W or less power. Also tried everything again with a clean Windows 10 install, same results.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends nearby to test my GPU in a different PC.

0 Likes