cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

eurobenzin
Newcomer

GPU Not clocking in a certain older game.

Mainly the game I am having issues with is SDO (Super Dance Online).

This game is rather old and runs on a .bin as a process which leads me to assume that Radeon Settings doesn't detect it properly and doesn't clock the GPU accordingly to the game.

I did try adding the .bin to Radeon Settings and while it does appear through a small trick editing a certain config file, it doesn't seem to care much, if at all that I added that game and continues run it like nothing changed.

I tried using a program called ClockBlocker to try and force a certain clock speed while the game is running, but again, to no avail. GPU clock is just simply all over the place like when watching YouTube for example. YouTube doesn't exactly need a lot of "horsepower" per se, but at 1080p it does ramp the GPU up a bit. It looks kind of like that.

Using 18.1.1 Version of Radeon Software, and 1709 (17074.1002) version of Windows Insider.

Running Ryzen 5 1600 at stock clocks, because stock cooler.

RX 460 4GB

8 GB DDR4 running it at 2400MHz.

Game itself is installed on my Hard drive which I highly doubt would be the case as to why I am having stutters since the Disk % shown in the task manager is around 2-5% during play.

If more data is needed, will gladly supply.

P.S. Haven't found anything as of writing this that actually helped.

Edit 1: I just realised I am not on laters Radeon Settings. WIll update post once I updated the driver.

Edit 2: Updated to 18.3.3. Still doesn't clock high enough so that the game doesn't stutter.

0 Likes
5 Replies
silentgame
Adept II

ClockBlocker on default settings only boosts clocks in full screen games.  You can change this in the settings for when ClockBlocker stops the downclocking.  If your game isn't full screen or a 3d detected game, you can force max clocks all the time in those settings and that should make the game run at boosted speeds.

0 Likes

Does GPUz say GPU load is at 100%? Also, Windows 10 tends to not like older games, especially more obscure ones.

0 Likes

GPU Load isn't on 100%, more around 50-60% according to GPU-Z.

And I know Windows 10 tends not to like older games, but I checked around the internet and people are having the same issue with the game on both NVIDIA and AMD cards on even Windows 8.1 and 7 as far as I've read.

0 Likes

Is this under the Rules section of Clock Blocker? I added the file to the rule and I can't seem to make it work with a special rule for the game.

It also doesn't seem to change the clock speeds in other games.

0 Likes

AMD drivers are designed to work with public releases of Win10..not insider.

0 Likes