Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

makkara
Adept II

GPU Fan Tuning problems

Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse

Windows 10

Note: Fan is controlled with junction / hot spot temperature.

Problem 1: GUI shows fan "curve", but in reality it does not change fan speed between steps. Yellow line is how it really adjusts the fan speed.

Going step up increases the fan speed fast and going step down decreases the fan speed slowly.

3.PNG

Problem 2: This might be graphics card problem. Set fan speed and reported fan speed are different. Setting fan speed to 10% makes it 15% reported by HWiNFO64. Set 40% is ~50% and set 45% is ~60%.

MSI Afterburner fan curve is also broken because it stops increasing fan speed even when the curve says so. Other times it seems to be completely haywire and cant adjust the fan at all.

Problem 3: After restart GPU fan is stopped in low temps when it should spin constantly, min 10-15%.

=Tuning settings are not applied after reboot / sleep.

Temporary solution: In fan tuning apply any fan curve value or load profile.

31 Replies
makkara
Adept II

Re: GPU Fan Tuning problems (settings dont apply)

20.1.1 Not fixed

0 Likes
ln25271
Adept I

Re: GPU Fan Tuning problems

RX 5700 XT Nitro+ here,

My problem with all drivers i tested so far (19.7.3, 19.12.1, 19.12.2, 19.12.3, 20.01.1) is that if i set a custom fan curve, the card start to stutter in games and in benchmarks. The solution i found is to set a flat fan curve of 55% fan speed (can be set as well to 50% or 60% etc) and for target temperatures i set:

p1=25c

p2=30c

p3=35c

p4=95c

p5=100c

With that setting the stuttering problem has been solved for me.

Another issue i found but, only with 19.12.3 and 20.01.1, is that when i open the radeon software, the HWiNFO reports immediately high (peak) CPU voltage (core vid). The high value remains even after the closing of the radeon software. The only solutionis to close the radeon software host application into the task manager.

However, this could be an issue of the HWiNFO because at the same time the CPU-Z and AIDA64 reports normal core vid. Also the CPU usage (ryzen 2700) is about 1% so, not high at all.  

0 Likes
makkara
Adept II

20.1.2 Not fixed

goodplay
MVP

Prob.1. Wattman/ fan tuning (afaik) has always been speed step (not a true curve of gradual ramping).

Prob.2. I don't use the above, can't say on the hwinfo diff. reading.

And probably the 'same old story re using wattman enabled and afterburner may cause conflicts'. the usual call is use one or the other.

Prob.3. Seems a legit issue, report it to amd.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
0 Likes
makkara
Adept II

Afterburner was uninstalled, still reporting different speed.

0 Likes
paul1979uk
Adept I

I found a solution, kind of, I have my fan settings at?

p1=23

p2=25

p3=25

p4=25

p5=34

With the above settings, my fans stay on when idle at a low fan speed of around 400rpm, when gaming, it mostly stays at around 1200rpm which is very quiet and if needed, it can go higher if more cooling is needed but it rarely is needed.

None of this really makes much sense because the fans seem to work mostly with these settings but the numbers I am using are set to different fan speeds then they are supposed to be.

I also find that the fan percentage curve is quite different in the drivers compared to other software like gpu-z, the idle fan speed is reporting as 23% whereas gpu-z is reporting the correct number at 9%

I've not messed about with the temp numbers but it makes me wonder that if the fan numbers are so far out, the temp numbers are likely are as well, hence why the fan curve we are trying to set doesn't add up to what it's trying to do.

Anyway, when I say it mostly work, I mean that it seems to stick to the fan curve I want it to do but it seems to aggressively slow the fan speeds even thought it shouldn't.

Anyway, I'll keep working on it and if I find anything new, I'll report it here.

0 Likes
ln25271
Adept I

thanks for the info Paul,

my problem is not the noise from custom fan curve but, the stuttering as a result from setting one. 

however i solved this by setting the fans with 55% speed as follow:

p1=25c

p2=30c

p3=35c

p4=95c

p5=100c

0 Likes
paul1979uk
Adept I

Seems like an odd one that, never known changing the fan curve to cause stuttering unless it's allowing the temps to go really high and the card is downclocking which could cause stuttering.

I take it the temps were in check when you had the other fan curve that was causing stuttering?

Anyway, I think I might go through each fan speed and see what the actually fan speed is with other programs because it's clear the drivers are not reporting the correct numbers and that might be part of the overall problem with setting them up correctly, but the only problem with that is trying to figure out the temp numbers because I suspect they are not reporting correctly as well, more so because it seems to have a mind of it's own on when to up the fan speeds and doesn't do it at the temp numbers it should do.

0 Likes
ln25271
Adept I

Temps are always in check with or without custom fan curve, no problem at all.

With stock core clock and voltage, the maximum (with stock fan curve)  gpu temp i see is 71c and hot spot at 93c.

Stock core clock and voltage with custom fan curve and as a result stuttering stuttering, are about 68 and 88.

With my custom flat fan curve are the same 68 and 88 but, without stuttering.

I have also checked, in order to be sure, with stock fan curve, core clock at 2100, stock voltage and power limit to 10% and there is no stuttering at all. With the same setting but lower temperatures due to custom fan curve the stuttering begins. With my custom flat fan setting there is no stuttering. 

With undervolt at 1080mv, core clock at 1980 and power limit at 15% i have gpu 63c and hot spot 78 to 80 with flat fan curve at 50% without stuttering. 

With that setting above the core clock while gaming stays always stable between 1920 and 1960.

If i undervolt at 1130mv, set core clock to 2030 and power limit to even 10%, my core clock stays stable between 1990 and 2010. Again, if i leave the fan curve at stock there is no stuttering, the same if i set it flat at 50 or 55% with target temps at p1=25,p2=30, p3=35, p4=95, p5=100.

But if i set for example the fan speed for the last two states stock target temperatures to 50 and 60% respectively, the stuttering begins. 

The only solution to avoid the stuttering is to leave the fan curve stock or to set a flat one as i have described above.

At least I am not the only one with this issue, i found another guy here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1129626-gpu-stutter-5700-xt/?tab=comments#comment-13201050 with the same problem but, with a gigabyte card!

I think that the problem with 5700xt cards is a combination of the new 7nm architecture, the bioses and the drivers too.  

0 Likes