cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

steveng8412
Journeyman III

GPU drops FPS before going above 70% usage

Recently built a new PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600 Mobo: B450 Aorus M Ram: 32 GB 3600 mhz

I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove old drivers and install the new ones as recommended. I'm upgrading from a Geforce 1070 as my last upgrade just to give you an idea of what I was working with before. My main game is PUBG but I haven't noticed much of a difference in average FPS from my old PC. If I'm just running around in pregame lobby where there isn't much going on I sit around 120 fps but as soon as I get in a game where there's more going on it drops to 50-60 FPS and is basically unplayable for a shooter. I've watched task manager during games and noticed that the CPU never goes above ~40% usage and the GPU seems to refuse to go above 70%. It drops the FPS before going higher GPU usage. My old PC would usually sit around 95% but wouldn't have the FPS ups and downs like I'm getting now. I've also noticed that it goes above 90% if I'm sitting in pregame lobby but drops as soon as I get in a game. Now when I open a game like Diablo 2, the GPU has no problem going up to 90%+ GPU usage. I've checked all of my PUBG and AMD settings and they're all at the recommended settings from what I can tell. I'm out of ideas at this point, I thought my frames would be up ~20%, not the same as with my 1070. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Reply

What temperatures are you showing for your GPU's Hot Spot? is it at or above 110c?

Do you have an aggressive GPU Fan profile so that the fans runs at maximum speed at a lower temperature?

Does this happen only with one game or any time your GPU is under heavy loads or stress?

If it happens only on one game you might try different Game and Radeon Settings to see if it works better.

The reason I ask the above questions is to rule out overheating GPU that will throttle and lower your FPS.

0 Likes