cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dr_taco
Journeyman III

GPU can't restart after driver update

I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM. I kept the old gpu, psu, hdd and ssd. I can't successfully apply a display adapter of any kind. I can finish the download but after the restart, my PC will not remain on for more than 5 seconds. Here are the specs:

-Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard

-Sapphire R9280 Dual-X 3GB Gpu

-WD320AJSS 320 GB HDD

-Phoenix 3 FM25S3 120GBP3 2.5" SSD

-GSkill V Series DDR4 16 GB RAM

-750W Thermaltake PSU

-AMD Ryzen 5 2600

I know very little about pc error solutions and the correct setup for a new motherboard. I read the manual as best I could for the motherboard. I began with a clean install of win10 home, after setting up the BIOS. I downloaded the windows updates, up to 1803 x64. Windows could not successfully install the amd driver through the updater. I was able to download the am4 chipset 18.10.2 driver, which includes the radeon 17.12 display driver. The device manager does not show the gpu, and the 17.12 driver does not change the display adapter in Device Manager, which remains the Microsoft basic display adapter. Only when booted into safe mode does the device manager recognize the gpu. I have tried downloading drivers from 15.12 catalyst all the way to the most recent and in between, none are able to take effect after the system restart. Any help or insight is greatly appreciate, as I'm at the end of my rope and I feel as if I've tried every solution I've seen and has led me to believe I will need a new GPU which is not an option right now.

i

0 Likes
0 Replies