cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GPIO Controller update causes black screen of death

Driver Booster prompted me to update my AMD GPIO Controller drivers (two copies of it, which I gather is normal) to version 2.0.1.0 this morning.  Ever since my computer has randomly black screened with the fans doing a passable impression of a jet engine, though the computer is still responding (caps and number locks will turn on and off, and system sounds happen if I unplug something).  A couple of times reboot has given me the recovery screen with error code 0xc0000225, required device isn't present or can't be accessed, though usually it restarts normally. Despite the fans kicking into high gear, there is no other sign of overheating. 

I did diagnose and rectify a concurrent problem with Windows Update, but that issue is now resolved, and while it no longer seems to black screen in normal idle/browser only operation, it still black screens very shortly in games. 

My processor is a Ryzen 5 3600.  I have an NVidia RTX 2080 that was recently installed, but it ran beautifully until this driver update this morning.  I'm trying to find a way to roll back the GPIO driver update, but there doesn't seem to be a ready way to do that.  Anyone got any ideas? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

It turns out that the controller update was a coincidence.  There's something wrong with the GPU that didn't manifest for a few days; in desperation I took the old GTX 760 out of my old computer and put it in the new machine and it works perfectly. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

I found the GPIO controller under System Devices in the device manager; I had thought it was a processor driver so I had looked under Processors.  It's rolled back now.  It's stupid late, so I'll test tomorrow morning and report if that solved the issue. 

0 Likes

It turns out that the controller update was a coincidence.  There's something wrong with the GPU that didn't manifest for a few days; in desperation I took the old GTX 760 out of my old computer and put it in the new machine and it works perfectly. 

0 Likes