Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

trense
Adept I

Good graphic drivers for AMD Radeon R9 M290X

Hi everyone,

This is gonna be a long post, and sorry for my English: I'm French and quite angry.

I have a MSI GX60 3CC. It contains a AMD Radeon R9 M290X GDDR5 2GB with two graphic cards:

• An AMD Radeon HD 8650G
  • An AMD Radeon HD 8970M

If the computer runs with the 8650G, the LED on the switch on/off of the computer is white, meanwhile when it runs with de 8970M, it's orange.
I have a windows 10 pro version.
To use correctly my computer, I installed the good version of Control Catalyst Center(CCC), and I was able to switch between the two graphics cards (the famous commutable graphics) and everything worked perfectly.

One week ago, I was playing PUBG and I had some fps drops. This is why I looked at AMD website to look if where was some software update:
If I manually select my driver I can see:

• If I choose Radeon R9 2XX series (for my Radeon R9 M290X), AMD advise me to download its Adrenalin Edition graphics software
  • If I choose Radeon HD 8900M series (for my Radeon HD 8970M), AMD advise me to download its Adrenalin Edition graphics software
  • If I choose A-series APU w/Radeon HD 8000G series (for my Radeon HD 8650G), AMD advise me two choices: Catalyst Software Suite (version 15.7.1) or Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

Because I'm not a computer engineer, I think "Okay, I want the graphics when I play my games, so I should take the Adrenalin Edition graphics software and install it" and this is what I do.
After install, the AMD Adrenalin version writes: "This version does not fit for your current graphics" or something like that but allows me to install some softwares, so like an idiot, I install the softwares.
And since this doomed moment, it's impossible to play any game. I haven't set a any recover and I don't remember what was the famous "good version" of Control Catalyst Center that allowed me to play. Impossible to go back.

I uninstalled every AMD software using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) in safe mode, and tried to install a lot of MSI and AMD drivers.
(I precise that every time, I use DDU to remove every AMD software and reinstall something)

MSI driver: ati_r9_131.52_0x7a41faed_w878100 an
ATI VGA Driver recommended by MSI on the MSI GX60 3CC support page (link)
It contains a Catalyst Control Center application, install a lot of things. In the end, I have the white LED and I can lauch video games but the graphics are horrible, very low fps and crashes (this is because it's the
AMD Radeon HD 8650G of course)

With AMD, downloaded on the AMD website:

Adrenalin Edition graphics software (full name of the driver: win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.3.2-march12): the LED is orange but I can't lauch any game, when I try to double click on the Adrenalin icon on the task bar it says something like this "Impossible to detect your AMD GPU"

Catalyst Software Suite version 15.7.1 (full name of the driver: whql-win10-catalyst-15.7.1-oct30) : sometimes the install application "stopped working" or when installing I have blue screen with "VIDEO_SCHEDULAR_INTERNAL_ERROR"
so it doesn't work.

Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta (full name of the driver: non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1-sep20): the LED is orange and I can't launch a game, it's like the Adrenalin Edition.

I tried some other AMD drivers: "non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb2" doesn't work

I feel frustrated, exhausted and %#&£ed. I can't use a recover point to go back to a good version because I haven't got one. So I really need help to install the good drivers, I tried everything I can.... I spent the whole week to look at forums, install softwares, understand what is inside my computer...

Help. Thanks.

0 Likes
9 Replies

One option is try the workaround from Installing AMD Drivers On A10-5750M + HD 8970M Laptops

Page 7 is older workaround, go to last page, work backwards for various changes.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

You are trying to install the wrong drivers? Please tell us which APU you have. Sounds like you are trying to install drivers for the graphics instead of the APU.

And you might read this Laptop graphics update...How to

Well indeed it's very complicated for me. And I've already looked at your "How to" post. And your "Clean install" method. Seems you're helping a lot of people, thanks for your help.

My APU is AMD A10-5750M, I don't find a good driver for it in the download drivers. I don't find any "A-series with Radeon R9 graphics", that would be my case no?

0 Likes

AMD A-Series A10-5750M Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Please read > Laptop graphics update...How to

Download Drivers

Your APU/laptop graphics are considered Legacy. Choose one of the available updates to install. There will be no more.

That's exactly what I explained before: I already downloaded this.

AMD advise me two choices: Catalyst Software Suite (version 15.7.1) or Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

Catalyst Software Suite version 15.7.1 (full name of the driver: whql-win10-catalyst-15.7.1-oct30) : sometimes the install application "stopped working" or when installing I have blue screen with "VIDEO_SCHEDULAR_INTERNAL_ERROR"
so it doesn't work.

Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta (full name of the driver: non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1-sep20): the LED is orange and I can't launch a game.

0 Likes

Did you take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing graphics drivers?

Did you try the drivers furnished by Microsoft?

Did you use DDU?

Did you try disconnecting from the internet whilst installing new drivers?

Did you follow goodplay​ suggestion above?

0 Likes

Did you take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft from automatically installing graphics drivers? Not really, Windows tried to install three driver updates:

1) ADM - MEDIA - 10/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.1.5 and succeded to install
2)AMD, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 8650G and failed to install

3)AMD, Inc driver update for AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M and failed to install

Did you try the drivers furnished by Microsoft? See above

Did you use DDU? Yes. Everytime I want to try a new driver like you said in your clean install method.

Did you try disconnecting from the internet whilst installing new drivers? No.

Did you follow goodplay suggestion above? This is what I'm trying to do.

I will try to follow the steps mentionned in that topic, I will tell you in a few hours if it works. And I will disconnect from the internet to avoid the installation of Windows updates.

Thanks all for the help.

Also try disabling fast startup:

trense
Adept I

Okay guys, I've spent two days with updates so let's go (I haven't found the right solution for me yet! ):

-Fast start-up disabled

-Windows Update Disabled

-Everytime before installation, I go on fast mode and uninstall every file with DDU

I've tried the "Ubilada" solution with win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.3.3-march18 for latest drivers of Radeon HD 8970M. I install the .inf file and it's correctly installed (This step seems ok)

After, I installed separalety several drivers with previous step to test them:

win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.2-jan3

non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1-sep20

whql-win10-catalyst-15.7.1-oct30

and restart two times.

Everytime, at start the power LED is White, than after 30s it turns Orange and my computer freeze!

I tried the "arthurmcdowell" solution with win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.3.3-march18 for latest drivers of Radeon HD 8970M. With device manager I update my 8970M and it's correctly installed (This step seems ok too)

After, I installed separalety several drivers with previous step to test them:

win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.12.2-jan3

non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27

non-whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-16.2.1-sep20

whql-win10-catalyst-15.7.1-oct30

and restart two times.

This time, it doesn't freezes but Catalyst software says I don't have good device for AMD drivers. Impossible to play any videogame.

Someone (heroutm) said he had same problems and solved it with installation of drivers for his HP computer just before installation of APU driver.

I probably need to install some drivers for my computer but it's an MSI GX60 but no drivers from Windows 10 can be found on the MSI website (link)

do you know what driver I should install? I think we're close to solve the problem...........

To recall: I have an MSI GX60 3CC, with Windows 10 pro, and  AMD A10-5750M as APU

0 Likes