cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

valtver
Journeyman III

Re: Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

Before vBIOS F5 I was having crashes with 100% fans + this issue in idle:

image.png

After flashing F5 vBIOS by GIGABYTE I started to get this and black screens:

image (1).png

After latest drivers 20.9.1 my Vega 56 started to work stable under load (4+ hours) but loosing signal on one of 2 monitors became a new issue(or at least the same which was in the beginning). (1(NOT OK) is DVI-HDMI, 2(OK) is HDMI - HDMI). This happened mostly after heavy load (Shadertoy Demo on the left screen and NFS:Payback on right monitor). When left idle on desktop after - one monitor is getting lost.

I switched ports of monitors (HDMI - HDMI goes on 2 HDMI port because 1st doesn't work for me without drivers and DVI-HDMI on the first HDMI port), uninstalled driver and removed AMD Crash Defender from "hidden devices" in Device Manager in !!!SAFE MODE, then restart in SAFE MODE again and DDU. Then restart into normal mode and reinstalled 20.9.1 with HDMI-HDMI display ONLY on the second port. Connected DVI-HDMI on first port after the installation. This time I just prevented Radeon Software from starting (killed in task manager, so no tray icon). I repeat GPU stressing, leave it idle and voila! No black screens. (Not reproducible anymore at least for a day).

To AMD Team:  My previous clean 20.9.1 driver installation had issues with vSync (some games could not start even without it enabled) - went away now. I would really pay some effort to "Factory Reset" driver installation option as it may lead to a really unpredictable behaviors in such Vega-sensitive scenario. People rarely will be guessing right driver removal combination

Will try to keep you updated.

Windows 7 64

MSI H170 GAMING M3 (MS-7978)

i7 6700

16 Gb RAM

GIGABYTE Vega56 Gaming OC 8GB (Radeon HD 7870 was my previous bestie )

Seasonic 850W Gold

Update: RadeonSoftware.exe runs fine so far too. So: Cables or Clean installation

0 Likes
singul4r
Adept III

Re: Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

Take a look to our most recently comments, we got rid of errors using Enterprise Drivers, WX Series cards drivers. 
I just stopped testing the last Gaming drivers. 

0 Likes
valtver
Journeyman III

Hey, thanks, but same story. The only difference for me was that black screen happened not in games in two hours, but in Blender in 2 days .

BTW Update: Clean installation of last driver failed too.. crashed for me on the 47th minute of 99% GPU load.
(Sorry Vega, RMA, I'm fed up )

0 Likes
modmax
Adept II

>

install pro driver q3.1 for win 10 and q1.1 for win 7

<https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/win10-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q3.1-sep11.exe

>

0 Likes
modmax
Adept II

<https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/prographics/win7-radeon-pro-software-enterprise-20.q1.1-feb14.exe

for win7

>

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Do you have any 3rd party overclocking tools installed?

0 Likes
valtver
Journeyman III

MSI Afterburner for logging

0 Likes
valtver
Journeyman III

Hey,

I'm back after 2 weeks to confirm that after RMA my new vega is stable with latest drivers out of the box. Tested 12h full load on both screens (NFS Heat + Blender cycles). Like a charm!

For those, who still continue playing with driver versions, please stop and return your card. It's defected and it's known issue by GIGABYTE.

Cheers!

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Good news.

0 Likes
shilent
Adept I

Below is about the "black screen crash".  I'm mentioning this because there are others that are reporting different types of crashes/instabilities.  I believe most of us here are concerned about this specific crash.

I've been using the pro drivers since June this year, and not a single black screen crash since.  I would try out new drivers every now and then, but would get the black screen crash so I'd go back to the pro drivers.

I've been running 20.12.1 for 5 days now and not a single black screen crash.  I'll give it a few more days before I call it stable.

I'll update this thread if I get the black screen crash. 

0 Likes