cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alexx855
Adept II

Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

Hello, im having this weird problem since i brought my new GPU a few months ago, my whole build is new, the GPU was the last  purchase, previously i had a R9 290x in this same build, all works perfectly!

The crash is sometimes a black screen on all monitors and fans turns 100% speed, nothing to do here just force shutdown, sometime i got a blue screen with the message, THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER.

All this happens randomly, between 1 hours to 4 maximum,  while gaming and casually browse on my second monitor.

i have tried all the possibilities, clean windows install, a lot of drivers versions 18.x.x / 19.x.x, diferente pci-e socket, diferente PSU, two diferents power rails, undervolt, power limit +50%, GPU and motherboard BIOS update, basically all known tricks. 

My systyem:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Vega 56 Gigabyte OC version gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RXVEGA56GAMING-OC-8GD
  • Operating System
    • Desktop Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
  •  Display Devices
    • LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@59Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • 23MP55 (1080x1920@59Hz) HDMI
    • HISENSE (1920x1080@59Hz) HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 + Bios F10
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel Core i7 8700k
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Seasonic 750W Gold 
  • RAM
    • 16GB Gskyll 4133hz

EDIT UPDATE:

The only solutions that works is the driver 17.11.1

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-11-1  

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.1-nov10.exe - Google Drive 

EDIT UPDATE 2020 

I have been testing the new bios, for a week i think, no crashes.

UPDATE THE BIOS USING THIS VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX Vega 56 8 GB | TechPowerUp  (or search for your manufacturer if its not Gigabyte )

Im using the default settings, with the lastest driver version,  turned off zero rpm,  changed the fan speed and power limit -50%

EDIT UPDATE MID 2020

Radeon pro drivers seems to fix all problems

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-wx-x200-series/radeon-pro... 

429 Replies
deckard
Journeyman III

Thank you singul4r no more blackscreens for me since I installed the pro driver. I'm using automatic undervolting and temps and performance are better than before. 

But will my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost be still compatible with newer drivers?

yes will be,  i will update this thread if all keeps working like now, these driver are a lot better solution than  the 17. x , at least we have a stable solution for now and i can play games like RDR2 witch is imposible to play in 17.x 

Yes, for my part, I was feeling a little exausted about crashings, playing every day with friends, reboots and all of that ****.
So I think I will stay on Pro Drivers branch for now on.

It seems the Enterprise / Pro driver teams, releases an update every quarter of the year. if you take a look at the current latest version. :

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-20-q2 

You can change the URL to point to other versions too, like "rn-pro-win-19-q2" for example.
If some of you can confirm that the Pro driver solve the issue, I will send a report to AMD with the problem and our solution. I don't know if it could change something but at least we tried.

tag75
Elite

hi , i was having the same problem , i could not figure it out but read some stuff so i did a fresh windows install i did not install the ryzen chipset drivers and one thing i read was to lower the gpu memory to 700mhz and lowered to vol to 900mv and set the power limit to - 15 and for 20 days now i have not had any crashes / bsod fingers crossed , hope it helps 

0 Likes

ps system spec

msi vega 56 

1800x

asus rog 370x hero vi wifi

16 ddr4 3000

rm 850 

0 Likes

Yes, some of those meassures could help a lot, but the problem I found about reducing clocks of memory/gpu and also reducing voltages and powerlimit is that you are basically reducing the card perfomance a lot.

0 Likes

its true but i dont notice much loss

scorchys
Adept I

Hi everyone, someone is testing the new version of Adrenalin 20.5.1?, it has been 2 days without the computer freezing, playing a couple of hours without rising above 50 degrees since I have not had much time, I will continue to check the behavior of the new drivers and I will inform you.

Yes. Window 10 20H1 + AMD 20.5.1 software is get rid of all black screen/freeze issue.

0 Likes

are the drivers still working for u ?

0 Likes

A friend of mine was using Pro drivers on Vega 56 Gaming OC Windforce with no crashes. He swapped this morning to 20.5.1 to give them a try,  and he had a blackscreen after few hours of playing GTA V.

senes
Adept I

I installed drivers for Radeon PRO, but after that VRM thermal sensors don't report temperature. Is it normal guys?

hope some one knows so i can try it

Hi yes,  is normal with the Pro Drivers, at least is the same in my card, it seems Pro Cards have a different way of reporting VDDC and MVDD temperatures. And HWinfo can't read them. Or it can be a bug of HWinfo, which is possible.

In my case, VDDC and MVDD temperatures were never a problem. And the card crash every day with every game.

Sorry, CRASHED every day with every game, not any more so I will stay on this driver for a while. I wrote a report to AMD yesterday explaining about the PRO controller, our experiences, and provide them a link to this thread which I think has enough information for a good troobleshooting. 

Latest drivers 20.5.1 starts random freezes again after 3 days, so i get back to pro drivers, i think its the best solution for now.

shilent
Adept I

The black screen issue is something I've been dealing with on my MSI Vega 56 Airboost for over a year now.  I'll give the Pro drivers a try.

Now, I do remember a previous version that seemed to fix my black screen issue.  It was version 19.x.  I wish I kept track of the exact version.  I wonder if these Pro drivers may be the same version.

I'll report back after this weekend with my results.

I tried also the 17.x.x version which OP mentions. I had crashes there too. The PRO version is the only thing that is working stable for me. 

And I tried a LOT of different stuff, since this problem has been haunting me for over a year  

what pro drivers are you using

0 Likes

thanks

0 Likes

Exactly the same here, I'd been plagued by the black screen/fan ramp/various BSODs since last year. I also seem to remember a 19.x driver being stable, but I'd also implemented the under-volting method mentioned somewhere in this thread around the time I was on those drivers, assumed it was that helping rather than the driver.

To cut short;

It's now been two weeks since I installed the Pro drivers for Vega 56. Not crashed since.

(To answer a previous question directed at me: When I say I'm "crashing", 90% of the time my PC would just completely lock-up. Either with the game I was playing frozen on screen, or the display would just go completely black.)

0 Likes

same but under- volting seems to help me had no black screen or crashes for 20 days untill i upgreaded windows 10 to 2005 and drivers 20.5.1 even when i put the same under-volting settings but that was only with playing elite dangerous so i went back to 20.4.2 and so far so good i hope but will try the pro drivers if it happens again , thanks for every ones help

0 Likes

After having the pro drivers installed for 14 days now, i had my first lockup. But this time with an automatic reboot.

0 Likes
jaibo
Adept II

Anyone notice that AMD added this to driver release notes "Known Issues" - not sure when they added it but it's fairly recent...

"Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely."

From: www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1 

yes i did

0 Likes

Yes, they are aware of the issue but it seems they are not being capable of reproduce it.

Yesteday I sent an old Windows Reliability History Report to them, I also wrote a support ticket explaining how Pro drivers help us with the crashes, and giving them some extra information, also a link to this thread. 

thanks mate

shilent
Adept I

Did lots of gaming this weekend, and not a single black screen crash using the Pro drivers.

I'll need to give it a few more days, but looking good so far.

what was your setting's meaning gpu frequency / voltage and memory settings

0 Likes

State 6 at 1602MHz 1025mv

State 7 at 1702Mhz 1050mv

HBM at 950Mhz. 

Power limit +50%

0 Likes

thanks

0 Likes

I really don't mean to be rude tag75, but you can just 'like' a posters comment or mark it as 'helpful' rather than making a separate post just to say "thanks"

The reason I say this: Many posters here are very likely to be subscribed to this thread (as I am) and therefore we receive notifications every time someone makes a new post here. Also, as you can see yourself, this thread has now become quite long so it would help to keep the clutter down too!

Since I've now posted something off-topic, I'd just like to add: 

It's now Day 18 for me of using the Pro Drivers, and still no crashes or BSoDs! This is the most stable my MSI Vega 56 OC Air Boost has been since purchase!

How GPU model do you have?

I have a gigabyte gaming OC vega 56 with hynix HMB2

I dont overclock mi GPU yet. I dont know if hinyx memory can support an aggresive overclock. 

I have the adrenaline drivers 20.5.1 with a little undervolt and windows update without crash and black screen.

S6 1538MHz to 1050mv

S7 1590MHz to 1100mv

Hmb2 800MHz to 900mv

Power limit +50%

I search an stable overclock an undervolt to my GPU model

0 Likes

Hi numix I'm just wondering why you deleted this previously posted message --> 

"Try the WX 9100 drivers. See this video Radeon Pro WX 9100 PC Game Testing - YouTube  at the 8:15 COD MW runs perfect"

Was there an issue with these drivers in the end?

Hi. I delete my comment because  wx9100 pro driver and the wx8200 pro driver are the same file. I think the GPU in the video runs with the adrenaline driver or the pro driver doesnt work fine in Vega gaming GPU 

0 Likes

The files between those cards are shared so both are the same. The problem is Pro Drivers are NOT gaming drivers, it will give you stability at the cost of some games compatibility, because the features of Enterprise versions are related to AutoCad and Maya, or some SOLIDWORKS for industrial design, used by Airbus and Dassault, Boeing... etc. If those drivers could deliver amazing game performance and stability on every game, and also works flawesly on Enterprise environments, that would be a perfect driver controller and Adrenalind does not have even a chance of existing.
Here we have to make a choice, or you play at maximum frames with last features, but knowing you have blackscreens and freezes and all that stuff. Or you install the Pro version and avoid playing some titles while AMD fix the issue. Is just a reasonable alternative while we waiting... this is not a definitve solution. Some prefeer to use Adrenalin, reducing clocks and use all features, because two crashes every day is not a problem. For me is a problem so I prefeer sacrifice some compatibility and gain continuous gaming sesions, even in multiplayers when friends keep waiting you until you reboot your computer and all that crazy stuff.

0 Likes

RE: Here we have to make a choice, or you play at maximum frames with last features, but knowing you have blackscreens and freezes and all that stuff. Or you install the Pro version and avoid playing some titles while AMD fix the issue. Is just a reasonable alternative while we waiting... this is not a definitve solution

The real choice is to stop putting up with AMD Driver Fiasco and buy an Nvidia GPU that works.

Tested a PowerColor RX5700XT - Had to use Hybrid Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + 20.5.1 driver combination to prevent crashing/BSODs. 
Slower than an RX Vega 64 Liquid at 4K on Resident Evil 4 and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. 

XBOX Game Pass Title: Forza 4 Horizon was tested as it is highly AMD optimised game.

Although FPS reported higher than the RX Vega 64 Liquid, the  RX5700XT FPS stuttering was atrocious in  versus zero stuttering in the Vega GPU.

So why all the Navi Hype?

My RX Vega 64 Liquid just about has all major driver issues solved that I have seen, 2 years and 10 months after launch. That is not "FineWine" That is bad driver support.

I just purchased 2 RX590 for OpenCL and Blender and they will not even work properly on that.
Even if they did work properly, both AMD GPU and CPU 'Blender' solutions are > 10x slower than running a single RTX2080 using  CUDA in Blender.
Nvidia OptiX is faser still.

Totally Agree.
I really don't know how they gonna sell BigNavi to a community who is dealing with Inmature drivers since 2017...
I don't know also, how I must react if I buy a shiny BIG NAVY this year, which it would cost around 1000+ USD and then realized that those things could have driver issues.... if that happens we need to go to AMD offices and burn up all there. 

The real choice I think it would be move to team green yes, but now I cannot swap my GPU, not now. 
Next year, I think my next GPU needs to be an AMD I already suffer a lot trying to solve those issues. hahahah

RE: " if that happens we need to go to AMD offices and burn up all there."

Calm down.
I know the World has gone mad but there is no need to join in with any barbarian behaviour just because AMD Drivers let down their GPU Hardware. 

0 Likes