cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

I have been testing the new  vga bios as mentioned above in this thread, for a week i think, no black screens

Im using the default settings, turned off zero rpm,  changed the fan speed and power limit -50%

pastedImage_1.png

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

Good news after 2 week i think i found the cause of my strix vega 56 black screen!  at least for me, mabe will be usefull for someone else.
So short story long story:
- after i google it 2 weeks till got headstake brain;
- after i change termal paste and termal pads,

- after i upgrade my PSU to 1200w platinum with 2 separated pcie cable, (cause peoples saying first cause of black screen is PSU, yeah but was  wasted money lol)
- after i  begining to trying DDU install and dezinstall all the ''One hundred drivers''Smiley Very Happy from AMD site from 2017 to 2020 and nothing still was getting one crash per day at least,

- after trying undervolting and downclocking and +50 power and -50 power (cause a lots of peoples saying ''those vega's are f...king overcloked and need to be clocked down and undervolting),

- after trying swithing changing my vega from the first slot and putting her to the second one slot X4 mode pci,

- after thinking about flashing motherboard bios or fashing vega card bios,

-  after thinking is the time to get the vega card and  throwing her to the trash where was thinking it's belongSmiley Very Happy, thinkig that was deffectiveSmiley Very Happy

So after after.... allSmiley Very Happy, i found that the program ''AIDA 64 Extreme'' was the cause of black screen ha haSmiley Very Happy at least for me

Cause while i gaming i leave it all the time Aida64 runing in the background to see how my vega temperature fluctuated. But last night i runing games without Aida64 and guess what no more crash. I could not belive my eyes lolSmiley Very Happy

I think is something wrong some incompatible things between Aida64 last version and Vega56. Cause after that the second day  i leave only GPUZ runing in background while gaming and not a single black screen.

So after that i google it some compatibility between Aida and Vega drivers on google.

So i found a message on Aida64 Forum,  where a guy from the team of software Aida64 response to one vega56 guys question.  That MSI vega56 owner was teeling the same story as me there on Aida Forums. But a people from Aida64 team reply and saying is not them fault, cause AMD knew them drivers have some incompatibility with Aida64 log, and that are AMD fault cause AMD are the one who have to modify them drivers to be compatible with Vega not them lol strangeSmiley Very Happy

I also found some message on the site where some peoples using vega56 on  Linux systems, they also found that haveing Vega and leave Aida runing in background crash Linux also.  

That my story mabe will be usefull for someone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

That's an irrelevant and well known fault with ASUS vBIOS's, and most of us don't run aida regularly anyway...

In general, probing the vBIOS and attached sensor IC's regularly will expose vBIOS stability faults, of which aida does well. HWiNFO64 is similar, but they block regular probing of known unstable vBIOS's and their ICs by default, and may or may not ask you if you want to enable probing them at the risk of stability issues.

I only ever use HWiNFO these days, of which the standard vega vBIOS's are stable with anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

2020-01-23 05_39_44-.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

This is my setting for Gigabyte Vega 56 OC 8GB version. It run very good, you can try it.

I'm using bios newest on Techpowerup, 20.1.2 driver for AMD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Is that the default setting or is it your own custom setting? That is quite a major de-tune, is the memory P states correct? I would imagine P3 having P2's values? 

I think that flashing the bios to these values is a waste, when you can just set them yourself without having to flash anything. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I posted my setting in OverdriveNT tool, I flollow this thread https://community.amd.com/thread/243469 

Memory is maybe the major problem.

You can try and let me know how stable you set ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

the new bios didn't work for me, random crash continue

only driver 17.11.1 work for me even this is only partial because the games still crash but several hours after launch

Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Ok but do you have a Gigabyte OC Gaming Card or just another brand/model of RX Vega?
I installed a massive heatsink over the backplate, I will be testing this week, and will tell you, without any cooling the back of the card is hot as hell, you cannot touch without burning your fingers. 

vega.png

Let's see if this ugly thing can stop those crashed triggered by the VDDC high temperatures at the back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

yes i also have Gigabyte OC Gaming Card. I really need a solution to this problem, this card really cost me a lot.

pc.jpg

0 Kudos