cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alexx855
Adept II

Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time, black screen, fans 100%

Hello, im having this weird problem since i brought my new GPU a few months ago, my whole build is new, the GPU was the last  purchase, previously i had a R9 290x in this same build, all works perfectly!

The crash is sometimes a black screen on all monitors and fans turns 100% speed, nothing to do here just force shutdown, sometime i got a blue screen with the message, THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER.

All this happens randomly, between 1 hours to 4 maximum,  while gaming and casually browse on my second monitor.

i have tried all the possibilities, clean windows install, a lot of drivers versions 18.x.x / 19.x.x, diferente pci-e socket, diferente PSU, two diferents power rails, undervolt, power limit +50%, GPU and motherboard BIOS update, basically all known tricks. 

My systyem:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Vega 56 Gigabyte OC version gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RXVEGA56GAMING-OC-8GD
  • Operating System
    • Desktop Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
  •  Display Devices
    • LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@59Hz Active DP to HDMI adapter
    • 23MP55 (1080x1920@59Hz) HDMI
    • HISENSE (1920x1080@59Hz) HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 + Bios F10
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel Core i7 8700k
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Seasonic 750W Gold 
  • RAM
    • 16GB Gskyll 4133hz

EDIT UPDATE:

The only solutions that works is the driver 17.11.1

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-17-11-1  

whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.11.1-nov10.exe - Google Drive 

EDIT UPDATE 2020 

I have been testing the new bios, for a week i think, no crashes.

UPDATE THE BIOS USING THIS VGA Bios Collection: Gigabyte RX Vega 56 8 GB | TechPowerUp  (or search for your manufacturer if its not Gigabyte )

Im using the default settings, with the lastest driver version,  turned off zero rpm,  changed the fan speed and power limit -50%

EDIT UPDATE MID 2020

Radeon pro drivers seems to fix all problems

https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-wx-x200-series/radeon-pro... 

425 Replies
nixsar
Adept II

Re: Vega 56 crash randomly all the time with any drivers, except which windows automatically installs

I have the same issue with the same card, also DP and HDMI connections if this is important at all. Also tried just about everything, undervolting, underclocking, increasing power limit, decreasing it, different rails and so on. I have Corsair 750W PSU, but it worked like a charm with my previous 390X. I did notice a pattern, after turning on the computer and gaming (or doing a stress test) for some time (on my computer it's usually no more than 10 minutes) a blue screen with THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER will appear. If I only reset on each subsequent gaming/stress test fans will ramp up to 100% and a black screen will appear. If I turn it off then I am back to a blue screen.

kingfish
MVP

Re: Vega 56 crash randomly all the time with any drivers, except which windows automatically installs

Driver issues should be reported to AMD > AMD Issue Reporting Form 

nixsar
Adept II

Submitted to both Gigabyte and AMD. I was hoping someone might suggest a driver, if this is driver related at all, that works. I guess a driver automatically provided by Windows 10 works for alexx855 . I don't know what driver that is, but I will try it just as an intermediate solution.

nixsar
Adept II

I can confirm it is indeed a driver issue. Windows installs Radeon Software Version 17.7 and there are no issues with it. I will try higher versions and hopefully find out at which version the issue starts.

nixsar
Adept II

It seems it is more complex than I would like it to be. Already on 18.12.2 drivers the issue is back, but a little differently - it takes longer to crash the system (about 30 minutes of gaming on my rig) and there are no blue or black screens only a total freeze. It does amount to the card being useless. We both have the same Gigabyte Vega 56 OC, but everything else is different.

MonitorAsus MG279Q monitor on DisplayPort (Freesync) + HDMI (TV)
MotherboardASRock Z170 Extreme6+
BIOSAmerican Megatrends P7.40
CPUIntel Core i7-6700K, 4 Cores, 4400 MHz (44 x 100)
RAM32 GB (4x8GB DDR4-2133)
PSUCorsair CS750M
spencer_-
Adept I

Hi

Finally i found people with the same problem.

I have the same gpu. Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb. I even RMA the card as my new build kept crashing. 

Turns out as you say its a driver problem. If i do a clean install of windows and let the default drivers installed the pc works perfectly.

If i update to any other version the crashes begin.

Hope we all find a solution asap. 

0 Likes
nixsar
Adept II

After more testing and a lot more reading I will RMA the card. It's a complex stability issue and I cannot wait/hope Gigabyte/AMD will stumble upon the solution any time soon.

0 Likes
alexx855
Adept II

nixsar i've read about a lot of people that sent the GPU to RMA, and they still have the same issue with the new ones, there are also topics on reddit about this, you can use the default windows drivers, these works perfectly, no crash in months, i know that it is not ideal, that was the reason because i opened this topic.

spencer_-
Adept I

Re: Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time with any drivers, except which windows automatically installs

If your problem is the same as ours i wouldnt recomend rma. I send it and they told me everything was ok. I gues even with a new gpu it would still happen. 

0 Likes