cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rekiotsu
Journeyman III

Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G driver issues after package version 17.7.2

Hello. As the headline implies I have had problems with all driver versions after 17.7.2. Thus I am still using that drivers version, since all the newer driver versions have been unusable in a way. This is why I am using 17.7.2 as 'properly' working comparison. So the problem is that after just opening youtube video, this graphics card of mine goes to full core clock speeds, which is already abnormal since it doesn't do that in 17.7.2, but also completely gets stuck there even after closing the video and browser. Only way to 'reset' the core clock speed is to restart the pc. This problem has happened with pretty much with every new driver version that I have tested since 17.7.2 including the current newest versions 18.3.4 and 18.2.1. Also yes, it seems due to my testing with Microsoft Edge and few other video sites, that the problem only happens with youtube videos using Mozilla Firefox. The problem is kind of bizarre for sure. Then what does this problem cause? Well obviously answer is ridiculously high temps at idle, which is not nice. Also I am using Gigabyte extreme gaming engine utility which is pretty much required to have this card running nicely and for controlling the lights on the card. I have tested newer drivers while this is uninstalled and the problem still persisted. In other words I don't believe there is a conflict between AMD drivers and that utility.

So AMD, could you please help with this?  The issue clearly seems to be with the drivers since said 17.7.2 works just fine. I shouldn't have to change browser or stop watching youtube, also I shouldn't have to be stuck with old driver versions and miss out some actual improvements of newer drivers. Any answers are welcome. Thanks

My pc specs and stuff are the following:

- Intel Core i5 4590 4x 3.30GHz, 3,70GHz Turbo

- Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G

- 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (4x4GB)

- 128GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 1000GB WD Green HDD, 2TB WD Blue

- Windows 10 Pro 64bit

- Asus VG245Q freesync monitor (using freesync)

Few screenshots as attachment to show the issue.

0 Likes
1 Reply
rekiotsu
Journeyman III

I guess nobody couldn't/wouldn't answer me. Well then, I am answering myself. I actually happened to find a cause for the problem, it turns out, that Mozilla Firefox hardware acceleration and newer AMD drivers have a problem with each other, some sort of bug. Like AMD would say until this bug is fixed, if it ever will, disabling the Mozilla Hardware acceleration works as a temporary workaround by making immediate problem go away. This done by going to settings->general->performance and then unticking the 'Use recommended performance settings'. Also don't know which one is actually at the fault now, Mozilla or AMD or both but I would at least hope someone from AMD would acknowlegde the problem ('cause disabling the hardware acceleration actually makes the browsing less smooth). Thanks.

0 Likes