cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BrowserUk
Adept I

Getting my apps to use my newly installed graphics card not the gpu built-in to my AMD processor?

Subject says it all.

I have a AMD A10 processor with a radeon R7 gpu built in.

I needed more omph, so I purchased an RX550 and installed it and adrenalin (Minimal install) and now I try my apps and they are all still using the built-in gpu not the card.

How can I divert them to using the newly install GPU?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Turns out all I needed to do was tell windows which was my primary screen. How to do that isn't as obvious as it might be, but I got there in the end.

Its an all or nothing solution; every app that needs a gpu now uses the new card, and the iGPU sits idle, but better than the other way.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
xmadmike
Adept III

isn't it possible to disable the iGPU in bios and set PCIE as primary video controller ?

also, don't forget to switch the cable from motherboard to GFX card

0 Likes

"isn't it possible to disable the iGPU in bios and set PCIE as primary video controller ?"

I've no idea. I'll have to look. But is that necessary?

I was kind hoping to use them both.  If it is possible, I'd like to have my CAD/Photo editing/video editing apps use the discrete GPU and leave the built-in for browsers and the like.

I currently have both motherboard and GPU connect via separate cables to the same moniter (different plugs) and I have set the screen to be mirrored for now and can use either plug to drive my desktop.

I'd really like to use both output as an extended desktop. (I can do that now, but then I cannot interact with the second screen).

But right now, the problem is getting my apps to see the card?

0 Likes

Turns out all I needed to do was tell windows which was my primary screen. How to do that isn't as obvious as it might be, but I got there in the end.

Its an all or nothing solution; every app that needs a gpu now uses the new card, and the iGPU sits idle, but better than the other way.

0 Likes