cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: AMD when you correct an error of UVD bug?

Jump to solution

I've opened a ticket with engineering. If i have any further updates i'll post them here.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

We have been unable to reproduce this issue so far, the clocks reset to the default values as expected.

Below are the steps we took and the specs of the systems we tested:

Reproduction steps:

1. Download & install Media Player Classic > https://mpc-hc.org/
  2. Monitor clock speeds and  open Google Chrome and open YouTube and start playing a video. Open Facebook and scroll down the page. Open Windows Media Player Classic and begin playing a video file.
  3. At some point the clock speeds should increase from idle clock speeds and get stuck in a higher clock state.
  4. Close all applications, clocks should now be stuck in a higher clock state than idle.
  5. If you now launch a game, the GPU will not reach maximum 3D clocks but will instead use the highest UVD clock state instead.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700X

HD 7870/R7 370

Win 10 RS4 +

Adrenalin-18.6.1

We're going to need alternative instructions on how to reproduce this issue.

0 Kudos
fargod
Adept II

Jump to solution

amd 280x

I wrote you

1. Come into a game

2. Win + G Windows Game mod   frequency will get stuck UVD bug

0 Kudos
fargod
Adept II

Jump to solution

Start several Media Player Classic windows at the same time, also you will reproduce uvd bug. How so left that we people the bought AMD cards have to beg you to correct your errors?

0 Kudos
maverique
Adept I

Jump to solution

That's not how you do it.

Open Chrome. Open Facebook. Scroll down and trigger the HW Acceleration clocks, in my case 501/1500. Once they're there and not going down, you open a video in MPC. See how the clocks go to 850/1500. Close everything. The clocks are now stuck...

If this sounds like a far fetched scenario, it happens to me every damn day. I'll open Chrome, send messages on Facebook, check my feed, trigger the HW Acceleration clocks, forget about it and then open a video somewhere, say a movie. Get stuck on UVD clocks and only remember it later. This is not a nice thing to happen and it happens to me every day. The drivers don't function right. It was all good until 16.7.2....

alleyviper
Elite

Jump to solution

You are most probably failing to do the detail what I've underlined twice in the instructions, because your reproduction steps don't mention it properly. When you scroll enough in Facebook, clocks must jump to 450/1200 on a 7870 or 501/1500 (as per maverique's 280x example) and remain there without going back to idle 150/300 even if you change a tab and let it rest for a while. This is very important. Only then you can launch MPC-HC to play a DXVA2 accelerated file to trigger the bug.

Btw, given that most clips on YT are VP9 accelerated under Chrome instead of DXVA2, they shouldn't affect the UVD.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I'll pass that feedback on, thanks.

maverique
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thank you! this is very annoying and we hope to help you fix it.

0 Kudos
fargod
Adept II

Jump to solution

news?

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

We were able to reproduce the issue after opening Windows Game Bar. Once it is fixed it will be called out in the release notes of a future driver release.