cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

destroyfx
Journeyman III

Re: gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux

Yes, they do pay for the RMA shipping in both direction. But somehow did not made the paperwork properly for me.
Fedex corrupt Customs estimated the value of that R7 1700 to 1125$ US and so charged me the 16% tax plus the Fedex "broker fee/extortion fee" that are more expensive than say taxes for a total of about 200$ US.

knowing that, I would have dumped the chip on the local market and got myself a threadripper instead.

It's the first time I do pay custom for RMA since I moved to Mexico, I guess they just messed up the paperwork or it's Fedex (all my other RMA occurrence where by UPS or DHL)

0 Likes
xwtl
Adept I

I think the freezes I reported above were just caused by heavy swapping.

12 Hours of kill-ryzen 4 4 went without problem overnight, so I installed the latest xubuntu with mesa, updated and installed the latest stable kernel. This time kill-ryzen with 16 parallel builds would make the system extremely laggy but not freeze - some xorg related processes were pushed to swap. After aborting and clearing the ramdisk, all was fine again. That's about enough of an explanation to me being no computer scientist but just an engineer concerned with some large simulation code.

Will now test 24 hours without ramdisk. But I'm confident I won't see any segfaults.

Thanks to AMD for the pretty fast replacement and thanks to you guys for examining, discussing and explaining the issue over the last months.

PS: The did pay for my shipment.

debaser
Adept I

You are lucky. My defective unit was sent a week ago, and I have had no news about AMD tech support, they not even confirmed the arrival of the parcel. I wrote 3 emails and have had no answer yet.

They also paid for my shipment.

0 Likes
scorpio810
Adept III

debaser a écrit:

You are lucky. My defective unit was sent a week ago, and I have had no news about AMD tech support, they not even confirmed the arrival of the parcel. I wrote 3 emails and have had no answer yet.

Stay patient and wait ! process need about 10 to 15 days and depend on AMD warehouse CPU stock they have. 😉

they not even confirmed the arrival of the parcel -> same here, no tracking shippement return but I did receive the new one.

0 Likes
debaser
Adept I

@

scorpio810 escribió:

debaser a écrit:

Stay patient and wait ! process need about 10 to 15 days and depend on AMD warehouse CPU stock they have. 😉

they not even confirmed the arrival of the parcel -> same here, no tracking shippement return but I did receive the new one.

Thanks! I have no choice but to waIt, hoping they'd send my replacement some day. But I miss some more communication from AMD to be honest...  They said they'd send the replacement as soon as I send them the tracking number of the defective unit, but it didn't happen that way.

0 Likes
mfuchs
Adept I

Thanks for the tip.

After running memtest for a while it turned out that one RAM module is broken.

Thus my week 28 CPU seems to be ok.

Sorry for the fuzz, a pity that I did not think of that myself. I was too focused on the CPU.

In any case I managed to run kill_ryzen for 30 minutes before all stopped.

Though at that point the ramdisk already consumed 15 GB, so I suppose I was out of memory, especially since I don't have a swap-device.

oberbutze
Adept II

Same here. DHL picked my CPU up on 11.09. and it arrived in the Netherlands on 12.9. I wrote AMD on 11.09 and send the tracking no. On 12.9. they replied that they will write me again if they have news from the warehouse and a tracking number. Since then I heard nothing. 1 1/2 weeks without a working PC is pretty hard

0 Likes
scorpio810
Adept III

oberbutze a écrit:

Same here. DHL picked my CPU up on 11.09. and it arrived in the Netherlands on 12.9. I wrote AMD on 11.09 and send the tracking no. On 12.9. they replied that they will write me again if they have news from the warehouse and a tracking number. Since then I heard nothing. 1 1/2 weeks without a working PC is pretty hard

scorpio810 wrotes

I gave my processor to DHL on September 1st for 1437 EM Rozenburg (NH), my shipment arrives at destination on September 4th in Amsterdam ???,

I asked support, it answers me that new processors will arrive to AMD EU warehouse, i saw Fedex tracking (MARKHAM  to ROZENBURG on 7 September).

Since I wait and have no news.

Edit : It has just arrived (1728 SUS) September 11

oufff I am relieved, thanks AMD. 😉

According to DHL tracking mine was just picked at AMD. But I guess it is highly unlikely I'll get new one before weekend (they would have to send new today to reach me on Friday).

0 Likes
oberbutze
Adept II

AMD just wrote me:

I would like to give you an update on your replacement CPU.  Your part has been shipped and is currently in transit with our carrier and should arrive shortly.

Once you have received your replacement CPU, please update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version with AGESA 1.0.0.6b after installing the CPU.

I look forward to your update once you have the replacement part installed and can confirm that your issue is resolved.

We appreciate your patience and if you need any more information, please let me know.

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days.

If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you."

I'm not sure if that means it should arrive shortly at AMD or at my place...

Edit:Wrote AMD again and they replied within minutes:

Thank you for your email. Your replacement part has been shipped through Fedex xxxxx  to our AMD EU warehouse in Netherlands. Once they are in receipt of your shipment, they will redirect it to your final destination. I believe you should receive your replacement processor in next couple of days.