Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pjssilva
Adept III
Adept III

Re: gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux

Same here, I also have a marginal system with good cooling (compiling never gets above 55C, I could make it lower by forcing the fans up, but temperature is not the issue). Everything on stock, never overclocked. From many threads around the net whenever people bothered to try many (I would say more than 50%, easily). The marginality comes only from the fact that the number of people that actually do heavy compilation is small.

I really hope that AMD is able to solve this problems in all processors with a microcode update. Otherwise it is gambling, betting that the bug will not appear somewhere else and that people are not going to test their system using kill-ryzen.sh script which is very easy to run.

Anyhow, time to start my RMA.

Good luck for all. It would be nice that everyone posts here what after after they got the new CPU.

0 Kudos
shmerl
Elite
Elite

amdmatt wrote:

The marginality is stimulated with very heavy workloads and when the system environment is not ideal.

Can you please provide some examples of common not ideal environments? That would help some to save time and remedy stuff that's possible to fix without replacing the CPU.

shmerl
Elite
Elite

pjssilva wrote:

Good luck for all. It would be nice that everyone posts here what after after they got the new CPU.

I'll probably wait for more successful reports, before doing the RMA. Meanwhile I'll try improving thermal paste application for the cooler.

0 Kudos
raydude
Elite
Elite

I'm proceeding with an RMA for my R5-1600. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

We'll see if they can screen the parts yet.

By the way: I love this system. It's exactly what I need. I'm using 515% (on average) of my CPU and I'm not certain an intel 4 core with hyperthreading would have been enough. I still have headroom to add the features I need to add.

I REALLY want it to be stable.

I'll keep working with AMD. I hope they find the actual problem soon. I'm glad they finally acknowledged it. I'm pretty certain the flame wars on Reddit were what got their attention.

Everyone: Thanks for all your hard work, and please be patient with AMD, they are responding pretty well to our little bit of noise.

Hopefully they'll be able to take our returned parts and do a proper characterization on them and figure out the difference between working and non-working parts.

Then they'll be able to bin for the RMAs and design in higher yields.

By the way: Unless they have shown that it's a packaging issue (something they may never admit), I don't believe them when they say the Threadripper and Epyc are unaffected. We'll see what Phoronix gets from AMD and see if his tests run cleanly. If they do work, then we at least know that AMD can ship working Threadripper and Epyc, which is great for AMD.

Long live AMD. Seriously.

And I'm glad you are paying attention to us.

Brilliant public announcement. Just hope the Threadripper and Epyc denial doesn't come back to bite you on the behind.

0 Kudos
runningman
Elite
Elite

amdmatt wrote:

We have been working closely with a small but important subset of Linux users that have experienced segment faults when running heavy or looping compilations on their Ryzen CPU-based systems. The results of our testing and analysis indicate that segment faults can be caused by memory allocation, system configurations, thermal environments, and system marginality when running looping or heavy Linux compile workloads. The marginality is stimulated with very heavy workloads and when the system environment is not ideal. AMD is working with individual users to diagnose the issues.

We are confident that we can help each of you identify the source of the marginality and eliminate the segment faults. We encourage all of our Linux users who are experiencing segment faults under compile workloads to continue working with AMD Customer Care. We are committed to solving this issue for all of you.

I wonder what it takes to be part of the important subset of Linux users. Your support form page doesn't work over HTTPS Email Form

Can AMD figure out how to display a form over HTTPS so we can at least ask for help? That'd be great.

supercom32
Adept III
Adept III

Following the post of other users, I've set my Vsoc to 1.1v and Vcore to 1.36v to see if that stabilises the issue. Since support recommended trying it, its probably a safe bet that AMD engineers did the same thing in the lab and reported success on some chips.

Using 'kill-ryzen.sh' with 6 threads, I was able to run for a few hours before I ran out of disk space. I reduced the number of threads to 5 and started my tests again. Hopefully this won't run out of disk space, but It seems like this might be a viable fix/workaround.

0 Kudos
runningman
Elite
Elite

supercom32 wrote:

Following the post of other users, I've set my Vsoc to 1.1v and Vcore to 1.36v to see if that stabilises the issue. Since support recommended trying it, its probably a safe bet that AMD engineers did the same thing in the lab and reported success on some chips.

Using 'kill-ryzen.sh' with 6 threads, I was able to run for a few hours before I ran out of disk space. I reduced the number of threads to 5 and started my tests again. Hopefully this won't run out of disk space, but It seems like this might be a viable fix/workaround.

This could mean that the silicon quality isn't great for some chips. I really hope this is sorted out soon.

0 Kudos
supercom32
Adept III
Adept III

A little off topic, but question for those who did the RMA process: Do you need to send them your CPU first, or will they send you a replacement CPU with return packaging/instructions? It would suck if you have to send them your CPU first, since your basically offline for the whole turnaround duration.

0 Kudos
oleyska
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

My vsoc at 1.1 would make the issue worse, from segfault to system freeze.

I am waiting for more info, this is a annoyance rather than critical for me as with many others.

Hoping they can solve it through microcode, but if not RMA it is

I'll wait for a while, I can live with it, not my first rodeo with cpu bugs (4x intel bugs) in the past.. my first amd and this one got responded to pretty much 6 months quicker despite everyone's fury.

they quickly acknowledged that the problem could be reproduced, and that's good but took a bit too long for a few I guess

0 Kudos
pjssilva
Adept III
Adept III

For me they said that they would send me the new CPU as soon as I sent mine (probably sending them a tracking number or something). In fact this is really bad. I live in Brazil and our customs suck. I am afraid the processor will take ages to get here if it is shipped from abroad. Anyhow, I do not trust my system to do real work. So the sooner I get the RAM CPU, the better. I hope they test it well before sending it to me.

I filled the RMA form today. I will now wait further contact.

0 Kudos