I see the similar problem in different situation. I'm using Ubuntu in VMWare on Windows 10.I see the crash of gcc and bash while parallel-compiling WebKitGtk+.
Neither updating to the latest UEFI BIOS nor disabling SMT in UEFI BIOS settings solve the issue. I can't find uOP cache setting in my UEFI BIOS.
I found this web page <https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8069900.html?sid=2da2652865b21738ab70b247be4b90b3#8068952>, and I disabled Cool'n'Quiet in my BIOS. It seems that this solves the issue for me.
I tried to build gst-plugins-bad-1.10.4.tar.xz in three settings.
cache control: enabled
2 failures in 881 builds
cache control: disabled
3 failures in 852 builds
cache control: enabled
0 failures in 554 builds
Disabling both uOP cache and SMT does nothing for me.
Disabling ASLR seems effective for me.
Here SMT or any other BIOS settings doesn't change a thing. Today the ryzen machine compiled 1290 packages and it had 15 segfaults, it means 1 segfault every 86 compilations. So, this machine is "unusable" and it should be a "working machine".
I opened a ticket and I am waiting for some answer, but my main interest is in understanding what is causing this problem: after having tried 4 MBs, 3 RAM kits and after having bought a brand new PSU, such in case the old one was the culprit, I don't know what to do. Is it a CPU problem? Should the users of ryzen CPUs with this problem RMA their CPUs? Is it fixable with an AGESA update? Or there is no solution atm at all?
Thanks in advance. A long long time AMD user.
There is no need to open new tickets on this issue. We are investigating and as soon as there is any updates, i will let you all know in this thread.
I finally found a way to make parallel compilation works (here): enabling LLC (Load Line Calibration) in BIOS. But it makes me very worried...
Enabling low levels of LLC (Levels 1-2) is not dangerous, it just ensures less voltage droop when the processor is under heavy load.
I appreciate your patience and i have some suggestions you can try.
In the Asus BIOS there is an option called called OPCache Control. Disabling this may resolve this issue.
Another suggestion is to try disabling SMT. Look for an option in the Bios called 'Disable SMT'.
Please try one or both of the suggestions above depending on which Motherboard you have and let me know how you get on.
Not all the BIOS have the OPCache option, f.e. my Gygabyte K7 doesn't. Disabling SMT alleviates the problem, but it doesn't solve it. As well the LLC I cited, which greatly reduces the segfaults, but they are still present.
The problem is not about the time needed to solve the iusse ("patience"), but it is if there will ever be a solution. I am developing a sense of "this is how it is".