cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mjasnik
Adept I

Re: gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux

Sticker was on top only (w/ AMD hologram and QR code), like retail.

It's good You asked, because I checked bottom and it seems that the big box was opened from bottom side

Actually AMD did great, testing each unit, thumbs up

demonwolfx1994
Adept I

Many pages back, someone was looking for a link to it happening on Windows (don't remember which page or I'd be replying to them). Think I may have found it, the Classroom demo in Blender. Crashed on stock CPU clocks (memory is known stable at 2667 MHz having passed 100 runs of memtest86+), just crashed Blender.

Segfault issue (tested by the kill-ryzen script in Ubuntu 17.04) shows up reliably at stock in under 3 minutes (disabling opcache made no difference, disabling SMT made it work for about 40 minutes, don't recall exactly, but have screenshots from testing).

Edit: getting exception code 0xc0000409 in nvoglv64.dll when Blender crashes. Display driver crashes with it, but it's not giving useful info.

Edit 2: As said later in the thread, it's not a Ryzen issue, just software conflict (In my case, ASUS GPU Tweak II, wasn't changing clocks, just the fan curve)

System info:

MSI B350 Tomahawk

Ryzen 7 1700X - Stock (cooler is an MSI Core Frozr L with the stock fan replaced with a Corsair ML120. Max Tdie in hwinfo64 is 58 under IBT/prime95)

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 16-18-18-36 (running 2667 14-16-16-34-1T)

GTX 1060 6GB (driver 385.41)

Windows 10 1703 15063.540

bsp2020
Elite

I bought 1800X two weeks ago and it has segfault problem. I also noticed that the machine hangs randomly in Windows as well as in Linux if I leave it on long enough. So I tried to RMA it. However, after submitting RMA request, all I got was 2 automated e-mail replies. It's been 3 days. Should I wait longer? What should I do if AMD does not respond?

0 Kudos
koji54
Adept I

Well... After more than 12 hours of testing, my UA1730SUS 1800X, It seems that segfaults are gone. Will continue testing...

kaseki
Adept II

It may be of interest that I can run Blender Classroom render without any crashes in Mint 18.1 MATE 64-bit, using the version of Blender that is in the Mint (Ubuntu most likely) repository.  Kill-Ryzen, however, throws segfaults unless opcache is disabled.*  The first seqfault typically occurs around 80-something seconds.  [1800X at 3.8 GHz P(0), 1.356V; TridentZ 3200C14, 2 x 16 DRAM overclocked to 3333 MT/s]

*I don't recall how long I tested this, probably a few hours.  A segfault might still have occurred given sufficient testing time.

shmerl
Elite

bsp2020 wrote:

I bought 1800X two weeks ago and it has segfault problem. I also noticed that the machine hangs randomly in Windows as well as in Linux if I leave it on long enough. So I tried to RMA it. However, after submitting RMA request, all I got was 2 automated e-mail replies. It's been 3 days. Should I wait longer? What should I do if AMD does not respond?

Yes, you just need to wait. It can take them a while to answer.

0 Kudos
siliconavatar
Journeyman III

I submitted my service request 8/24/2017 AM. I received a response today requesting information about my system. It's taking them a while to process all the new requests.

0 Kudos
udamanfunks
Adept III

I got the RMA replacement R7-1700 (UA1730SUS) as well - it was opened from the bottom side just like the R7-1700X I received a few days ago (RMA as well).

Testing it now and will update the spreadsheet of my result.

malakudi
Adept III

Follow up on my status:

I stopped testing at stock CPU/RAM frequencies after 60 hours of successful run of kill-ryzen.sh (4 instances with make -j 4) and I now increased CPU frequency with zenstates.py at 3800 MHz, without rebooting. Will let it run at this frequency for 48 hours, then if all goes well will increase RAM frequency and start from beginning since this change requires reboot.

demonwolfx1994
Adept I

So likely something unrelated causing the crash..

On an unrelated note, I tested with the core at 1.3v and the SoC at 1.1v (won't test higher, can't keep it under 70c if I do), didn't segfault, but bash had it's stack-smashing protection trigger (Ubuntu 17.04 live usb).

0 Kudos