Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

Games won't run after driver update

Jump to solution

I'm a very casual gamer; the only game I play regularly is GT Legends, an old racing sim, and then the odd RPG now and then.  Have just finished Dragon Age 2, and this week purchased Dragon Age Inquisition.  Figured I'd better update my video drivers for this new(ish) game, as it's been a few years since the last time.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-930

RAM: 6Gb

GPU: Msi Radeon R9 280X 3Gb

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E, Socket-1366

PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-650

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Service Pack 1

Went to the driver download page and did a manual search, with these criteria:

Desktop Graphics

Radeon R9 Series

Radeon R9 2xx Series

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

Suggested driver was Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1, which I downloaded. Uninstalled the old driver, and then installed the new one, including ReLive.  No errors during installation, and when finished, I could enter the new control panel and alter a few settings.

However, no games would run; GT Legends reported that no DX 8.1 videocard was present (game can use DX9, and requires DX 8.1 minimum)  Neither of the Dragon Age games would run either.  Can't recall the exact wording of the errors, but the essence again was that no suitable videocard was present.  I also have a couple of the 'Heaven' benchmarks installed.  V. 2.1 wouldn't run, but 4.0 did - only in a window though; couldn't get it to run fullscreen.

Next I tried the auto detection on the driver page, which wanted to install Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.4.  I asked for a clean install, and this time skipped ReLive.  No change however; had the exact same issues as with Crimson ReLive Edition 17.5.1.  After this, I uninstalled the new driver and went back to the old one; Catalyst 13.12.  Now everything runs again, including Dragon Age Inquisition.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the explanation ?

I do notice that I have the exact same Motherboard as the poster trying to switch from Nvidia to AMD, and his problem seems quite similar to mine.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Games won't run after driver update

Jump to solution

Please try our next driver when it becomes available and let me know if you experience the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I have the same problem :/

Just I have an amd raedon hd 7700 series.

I don't thin its the Motherboard, I think the programer dicked around with the Software and released it before testing it. ^^

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

In the Nvidia to AMD switch thread, it was suggested to try the 17.2 drivers instead, by someone with the same problem.  I have tried them too, and it solves my problem!

The 3 games I've tried all run now, and as hoped, the newer drivers have given a massive boost in Drago Age Inquisition, with regards to minimum fps.  On 'High' settings, benchmark minimum fps jumped from 20.1 to 35.3.

Do hope this is a temporary issue, so that I'm not barred from driver updates in the future.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

This last 17.4.x and 17.5.1 are crappy drivers. In my RX 460 i have the same problem that you have. Only works fine until 17.3.3. It's a driver problem, and amd staff doesn't put on known issues or solve this problem. I'm really dissapointed. I used to have a nvidia card and never had such a huge problem like this.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Please try our next driver when it becomes available and let me know if you experience the same issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Ok thanks; will do that.  When do you expect the next one to be ready ?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

When it's ready, no exact timeline.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

This is really disheartening. I recently updated my system to the Creators Update on Windows 10, which seems to be the issue for most, and I also get fatal errors when trying to start games. Currently running 16.6 until a fix is found. Very tough to deal with. Anything 17.x.x doesn't work for me. Tried even reinstalling windows to no avail. Please help.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

for my, driver 17.5.2 still not fix it.

Far cry 4:

aplication error (0xc0000022)

MPHC:

dx9allocatorpresent failed

d3derr_notavailable

but sometimes my W10 is loading without  this issue.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just to let you know, I have the same problem. 17.2 works for me, too.

0 Kudos