cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Darktank14
Adept I

Games Won t run after driver update

Recently I updated my old drivers from 2019 to the Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.1.1. My graphics card is a RX 570 8 gig, after I did all the steps most of my games on steam stopped booting gaving a error message in some of them.

I already tryed reinstalling, old versions or some other steps but the problem prexists. All was working nicely before and this is the first time I have a problem with your drivers. Already sent a bug report on you software that installs the drivers. 

What's the solution for this? 

0 Likes
5 Replies
cristi_trohin
Adept II

@Darktank14 I doubt you'll hear back from AMD on your issues, but here's is what I did when I ran into this issue with my son's RX 580, literally half hour ago. I had the RX 580 running fine for nearly a year in my rig. Built my son a PC and installed the card with the January 2021 driver. Batman Arkham knight and Just Cause 4 crashed, while Fortnite and Batman Arkham Asylum still worked.

I used DDU to completely remove the AMD driver, and then let Windows install what it wants for the RX 580. Windows installed a driver from August 2020, and all games started working again. The AMD software team strikes again. If you find a working version, stick with that, or you risk breaking all your games with the "latest" AMD drivers.

Thanks for your reply, I already used DDU and tryed some drives. You mean manual update with the windows? I ll try that...

No one can be sure with their software in that case, a shame. 

0 Likes

@Darktank14 I meant DDU the current drivers, and restart Windows. After 10-15 minutes, Windows will install a driver from the Microsoft repository.

Well windows installed a driver for a RX 470 , the Adrenelin 20.10.35.02  unsual but the games are working , thank you very much for that. The only one not responding is Battlefront II a error with origin. So how can we make sure when we update any driver ? That way i can t keep up to date with improvements in games.

0 Likes

@Darktank14 I would only update to Recommended drivers, not optional ones. Usually, when a driver is Optional it has some version like 21.2.1, and then, after the bugfixes, it will be something like 21.2.2 or 21.2.3 (Recommended). That would mean it was broadly tested, and fixed. But with AMD, it takes a while to fix whatever new issues they introduce with optional drivers. My guess you would be safe with installing a Recommended driver, and as I see from AMD's website, the latest Recommended driver for your card is 20.9.1, and 20.4.2 before that. Choose any of these two drivers, and I think you're set. The performance won't be an issue in your case, since the card is pretty mature, as are the drivers for it. I doubt you'll see much improvement from now on.