cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

0x87
Adept II

Game freezes, black screen, hard shutdown required, disbaled drivers upon reboot

System specs

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 6700 XT Mech 2X OC 12GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max Wi-Fi Motherboard
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB Gold 850W Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
HDD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB
Monitors: Samsung 27" Flat Odyssey G50 & Samsung Odyssey G5 QHD 144Hz FreeSync Curved 32"
Windows: Windows 10 & 11 issue persisted
Driver: Adrenalin 22.11.2 & Adrenalin 22.5.1 Issue persisted

Issue:
For months I have had zero issues but last week while playing a game I had my game freeze, screens go back, music continued to play and act as if the PC was running normally, I tried everything to exit the game and restore screen to normal, I needed to do a hard shut-down, when turning PC back on only one screen would work, and drivers were disabled, requiring me to re-enable them via device manager, this issue continued to occur on other games, I have done a clean install of windows 10, new drivers same issue, clean install of 10 with older drivers, same issue, clean install of windows 11, both drivers (DDU clean up before installing newer drivers) same issue, tried using only 1 monitor, same issue, tried replacing cables.. same issue

Can anyone help me.. or do I need to RMA my card?

1 Solution
macchky
Adept II

Try to disable MPO(Multiplane Overlay)
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/feature-request-disable-multiplane-overlay-mpo.289163/

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

The lack of this key means its enabled

One Click reg file (mpo_disable.reg) is here

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157

View solution in original post

48 Replies

Solution worked for me as of 12/10/22

0 Likes
farmeunit
Adept II

Also, have you try DDU?

0 Likes

Yes as stated in my opening post I tired DDU 

Unless your replying to nightmare 13255, hard to tell on mobile..

0 Likes
0x87
Adept II

UPDATE

Store was unable to recreate crash, ran benchmarking for 2 days straight, no crash, will test pc when I get home and report on if issues continue 

0 Likes
223hpyhooker
Journeyman III

I ran various stress tests with my 850w psu and couldn’t recreate the issue at all . Both 1070gtx and my new 6700xt both were black screening in Fortnite. I didn’t have any other games to test if it was a game issue or just Fortnite. Anyway I bought an evga 1000w powersupply and have played 8 hours the last two days and set my graphics to high and haven’t crashed yet.

0 Likes
223hpyhooker
Journeyman III

Also if you’re running dx12 try dx11 in game if it allows and see if that help. Before swapping my psu it did allow me to at least play but would crash every now and again so dx11 stress the graphics card far less and use less power.

0 Likes
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

You wont fix everything by disabling MPO driver stability still will be bad while gaming, but during desktop use alt tabbing etc anything that triggers a blackscreen no longer will but as result it may instead freeze but unlikely while alt tabbing for example more then likely while gaming instead if lucky a gpu driver crash but mostly a whole system freeze that wont respond.

0 Likes
schnitzler
Journeyman III

So did we get a solution here? the same problem als happens in league of legends. MPO didn't fix it. neither did anything else.

0 Likes
rekoj
Adept II

do a full test on memtest86 to see if there some issues with the rams

0 Likes