cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Bogdan2
Adept I

Game crashes with "Faulting module name: ntdll.dll" (RX 6700)

So I used to have an RTX 2060 in my system and recently ugpraded to a 6700. But when I try to play Alan Wake Remastered, the game crashes when I click continue game (or new game). I've tried EVERYTHING I could think of and find. I've reinstalled the game, ran Dism, sfc /scannow, uninstalled the drivers with DDU and downgraded, updated to the latest optional ones just in case (my drivers were up to date as when I switched from my old GPU to the new one I ran DDU to uninstall the old drivers and installed the latest ones - 22.10.3). I've tried tweaking some graphics settings. My CPU (or GPU) isn't overclocked. Windows is up to date. I've tried running the game without anything in the background and with no overlays enabled. There's more I've tried probably that I can't remember right now. The one thing I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows, but I don't really want to resort to that, although I will if I have to.

If anyone could help me figure out what's going on (or it might just be an unfixed driver issue) it would be great.

0 Likes
12 Replies

If the issue you are having is just one game only and not all games then it means either the game developers needs to patch the game to make it work with AMD driver or AMD fixes the problem in a future update.

Installing a fresh Windows, in my opinion, wouldn't fix the issue. It is either a game or AMD driver incompatible or conflict issue.

Note: Make sure you uninstalled all traces of Nvidia driver and its Apps from your PC which might cause conflict with the AMD driver by using DDU.

EDIT: You can notify AMD Support concerning the issue you are having with this one specific game from here: https://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EBB

Bogdan2
Adept I

Yup. The game is Alan Wake Remastered and is unlikely to be patched by the developers by now, but I've seen people playing the game with RX 6000 series cards. I have used DDU to completely remove the old Nvidia driver, yes.

As for the report, I will do that now. Thanks for the help!

Try running DXDIAG.exe and save it to a file.

Then click on the file and scroll down to the last Category to find out all the files that are having issues on your PC.

That might be useful in finding out which exact file is causing the problem with your game.

You mean the Diagnostics category? There are a few down there (relating to the game or not). Most of them are the same, but not all:

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket 2246911156671879163, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Game_f_x64_EOS.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 61547d9d
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.2130
P6: b5ced1c6
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000063526
P9:
P10:

and

+++ WER3 +++:
Fault bucket 1296192553539757550, type 5
Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Game_f_x64_EOS.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 61547D9D
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

0 Likes

I googled the error for the last entry "Fault Tolerant Heap" found this tech sit for 3d Max that gives a full detail on how to disable or exclude an app from the FTH in Winodws: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528347128593--Fault-Tolerant-Heap-errors-and-solutions-...

I would check in Event Viewer from the link above to see if the game is triggering the FTH feature in Windows.

NOTE: It still sounds like either the Game Developers or AMD will need to create a patch for that game to work correctly.

0 Likes

When the game crashes, it does show up in Event Viewer but the event doesn't contain any data related to the app, just that it started ("The Fault Tolerant Heap service started."). I tried disabling FTH and it doesn't make a difference

Thanks for the update.

Enable FTH again and open a AMD Support ticket to let them know about the game issue: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Alright, will do. Thanks for the help!

DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Irrc, ntdll.dll BSOD was an issue for me when i had 2 conflicting applications (for me both were games) be launched simultaneously. If they detect each other = BSOD in less than 15 minutes was guaranteed.

So i really doubt ntdll.dll will be of any link to GPU or GPU drivers there. It is Windows specific library

Question is what is conflicting in your case. Hardware, software, game itself or something else?

Hey. Thanks for the reply.

My PC doesn't BSOD, the game just crashes to the desktop. I could try running it in safe mode to check for conflicting apps maybe?

So i really doubt ntdll.dll will be of any link to GPU or GPU drivers there. It is Windows specific library

Well it worked before I changed my GPU so there must be some correlation.

I think the hardware conflicting is unlikely too?

0 Likes

Hmm... can you try reinstalling Windows as troubleshooting steps?
Sometimes after swtiching hardware, system may still have residue software pieces that can cause all sorts of conflicts.

0 Likes

I could try, but at the moment I'm a bit busy. I will try it and get back to you as soon as I can

0 Likes