cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FYI: Windows 10 Fall Creator Features that have been removed or made obsolete in latest version of Windows 10

Yesterday I tried to restore a System Image backup because my computer was acting really erratic after updating some drivers. My Monitor kept losing it image to black from a  couple of seconds to about 30 seconds constantly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Old and new GPU drivers with the same result. Decided to use CRU feature to restart GPU driver and card. same difference. Then I made a major booboo. I clicked on Recovery Mode from CRU. Immediately got a permanent black screen. Restarted the computer three times knowing it will get me to the Troubleshooting page. I then clicked on restoring my System Image from January 5th. The System Image restore failed for the first time since I have been using that feature since I was using Windows 7. Not only did it fail once but twice in a row. Finally I found a workaround by booting from BIOS directly into one of my internal Hard drives that I copied the Windows Installation disk to. Finally I was able to make a successful restore of my System Image backup. Googled the failure and found out from MS Forum that Microsoft Redacted (made obsolete) SIB (System Image Backup) by preventing it from restoring. One of the commenter showed  a link to the official document which I have copied here in its entirety.

Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Summary

The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update are either removed from the product in the current release (“Removed”) or are not in active development and might be removed in future releases (“Deprecated”).This list is intended to help customers consider these removals and deprecations for their own planning. The list is subject to change and may not include every deprecated feature or functionality.For more information about a listed feature or functionality and its replacement, see the documentation for that feature. You can also follow the provided links in this table to see additional resources.

More Information

Removed and deprecated features

FeatureRemovedDeprecated
3D Builder appNo longer installed by default. Consider using Print 3D and Paint 3D in its place. However, 3D Builder is still available for download from the Microsoft Store.X
Apndatabase.xmlFor more information about the replacement database, see the following Hardware Dev Center articles:

MO Process to update COSA

COSA FAQ
X
Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)Use will be blocked. Consider using the Exploit Protection feature of Windows Defender Exploit Guard as a replacement.X
IIS 6 Management CompatibilityWe recommend that users use alternative scripting tools and a newer management console. X
IIS Digest AuthenticationWe recommend that users use alternative authentication methods. X
Microsoft PaintWill be available through the Microsoft Store. Functionality integrated into Paint 3D. X
Outlook ExpressRemoving this non-functional legacy code.X
Reader appFunctionality to be integrated into Microsoft Edge.X
Reading ListFunctionality to be integrated into Microsoft Edge.X
Resilient File System (ReFS)Creation ability will be available in the following editions only: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

Creation ability will be removed from all other editions.  All other editions will have Read and Write ability.
(added: August 17, 2017)
X
RSA/AES Encryption for IISWe recommend that users use CNG encryption provider. X
Screen saver functionality in ThemesTo be disabled in Themes (classified as "Removed" in this table). Screen saver functionality in Group Policies, Control Panel, and Sysprep is now deprecated but continues to be functional. Lockscreen features and policies are preferred. X X
Sync your settingsBack-end changes: In future releases, the back-end storage for the current sync process will change. A single cloud storage system will be used for Enterprise State Roaming and all other users. The "Sync your settings" options and the Enterprise State Roaming feature will continue to work.(updated: August 17, 2017) X
Syskey.exeRemoving this nonsecure security feature. We recommend that users use BitLocker instead. For more information, see the following Knowledge Base article:4025993 Syskey.exe utility is no longer supported in Windows 10 RS3 and Windows Server 2016 RS3X
System Image Backup (SIB) SolutionWe recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors. X
TCP Offload EngineRemoving this legacy code. This functionality was previously transitioned to the Stack TCP Engine. For more information, see the following PFE Platform Blog article:Why Are We Deprecating Network Performance Features (KB4014193)?X
Tile Data LayerTo be replaced by the Tile Store.X
TLS RC4 CiphersTo be disabled by default. For more information, see the following Windows IT Center topic:TLS (Schannel SSP) changes in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 X
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Owner PasswordManagementThis legacy code to be removed. X
Trusted Platform Module (TPM): TPM.msc and TPM Remote ManagementTo be replaced by a new user interface in a future release. X
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Remote ManagementThis legacy code to be removed in a future release. X
Windows Hello for Business deployment that uses System Center Configuration ManagerWindows Server 2016 Active Directory Federation Services – Registration Authority (ADFS RA) deployment is simpler and provides a better user experience and a more deterministic certificate enrollment experience. X
Windows PowerShell 2.0Applications and components should be migrated to PowerShell 5.0+. X

Applies to

This article applies to the following:
  • Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Last Updated: Dec 12, 2017

Needless to say, people from MS Forum weren't to pleased to find this out until after they tried to restore a System Image Backup.

1 Solution

Microsoft recommends using a 3rd party to take the place of System Image Backup. I use Acronis and also downloaded a free version of Easeus TODO BACKUP HOME which does everything that Windows Backup does plus more. Unfortunately, to restore to a different computer you need to purchase the PRO version. I did a backup using Easeus and it seemed to do a good job. But I will find out how well it restores the Windows Drive in the future. I have both Acronis and Easeus in case one restore is not as good. So once MS removes the SIB feature permanently, I will still be able to do a System Image Backup and restoral.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies

Microsoft recommends using a 3rd party to take the place of System Image Backup. I use Acronis and also downloaded a free version of Easeus TODO BACKUP HOME which does everything that Windows Backup does plus more. Unfortunately, to restore to a different computer you need to purchase the PRO version. I did a backup using Easeus and it seemed to do a good job. But I will find out how well it restores the Windows Drive in the future. I have both Acronis and Easeus in case one restore is not as good. So once MS removes the SIB feature permanently, I will still be able to do a System Image Backup and restoral.

0 Likes

I see you found your solution, and is working for you i think ?

Just to add although the older system image recovery feature had been listed as Depracted, if you would take a last look at your chart you posted, it was not removed. Just to recap those changes, it was revamped, not disabled, to be located and function in the new Creators Update Settings. You can had to

(SETTINGS/UPDATE&SECURITY/BACKUP) Enable the new Windows10 Baackup and select your location, then click the Advanced Backup Settings. This will take you to the new path toSystem Image/backup Win7, which windows10 still will use for the entirity of life of OS, just because, it upgraded 100% of the worlds PC's.

Removing that feature would be a service violation ...

With that said, many manufactures offer Free/Pro software for all storage drives and alot use Acronis as a solution like Seagate for instance, they have 3 tools including Seatools and  Seagate DiskWizard, which will allow everything in the pro version, but the Imaging and drive managment is free to use.

I just used Windows10 Intergrated Image +backup feature yesterday. This feature is very much working as intended. I have 1 Interchage housing 1 External HDD slwo storage rated, and currently 4 PC,s backed up onto it. You can disable the scheduler for backups and power down to unplug any drives if your system isnt ( hot plug capable.) Just thought id past that along.

News like this worried many people over a year ago. I can confirm the feature is working without error or failure.

The problem is that System Image Backup actually backs up your system and creates a System Image. The problem is you can not Restore the System Image under the new version of Windows 10. This is a comment from MS Forum:

Two things:

1. Deprecated does not mean removed.

2. In my case, I was able to create the system image from 1709 but not restore.

The long-winded answers are pointless. Yes, MS recommends using a third party tool so that at some point in the future when the status goes from deprecated to removed users won't be left high and dry, but the tool  they provide to do the job currently  creates backups just fine. It fails to restore. Period. That's broken. Not deprecated.

I agree, the System Image Backup is not removed but moved to obsolete. Like I mentioned above, it does work as far as creating a System Image. It just won't work in Restoring the System Image under the new version of Windows. That is why MS suggest to use a 3rd party backup software.

System Image Backup (SIB) SolutionWe recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

If you need to make a full recovery of your Windows 10 OS on a corrupt hard drive or OS, does the new Windows 10 Backup do that. From what I gather all it does is backup your files and folders. I don't see anywhere in the new Windows Backup to make a full recovery of your Windows OS. Just the files and Folder you have selected.

0 Likes

elstaci siad"If you need to make a full recovery of your Windows 10 OS on a corrupt hard drive or OS, does the new Windows 10 Backup do that." ?

Short answer : Long as you either WIPE or Format your drive first. Otherwise how would you determine if you have a faulty drive recked with errors or a just a corrupted image.

Anyways glad to help. Windows OS image backups are know to corrupt on there own, in storage , not plugged in and off system. Its just what they do, im sure your backup had just got corrupted my best guess. Either way you had 2 failures in a row.

To clarify a system image is a system image regardless of what software created it. Windows-10 is now setup to defualt backup personal files AND create a full-sytem-image.

There is a option to the left pane that allows a system image only. It is labled . Create a System Image: Left Pane underneath Create a Recovery Environment startup and repair Disk. Both these options work and we would hope for that. second option allows a bootable CD / USB or Media boot to Windows-10 WinRE Environment in case windows-10 wont perform a 3 time boot or F8 was never renabled or gets tsuck. It is know to just get stuck at logo when certain conditions happen, Ex: lost the C: drive but allows you to go through options only available in windows-10 meaning it reads windows-10 but it still says it cant ... this has happened to me, i cant remember why

Windows backup is kind of wonky sometimes, but not in windows-10, that was fixed for Creators Update. Hope this isnt to long winded....

0 Likes

Not at all winded.  My backup System Image was good. It was the Fall's Creator version that was causing the problem. I was able to restore the same System Image that failed twice in a row by directly booting into a Windows 10 Installation I have on another internal Hard Drive and properly restore my System Image on my computer. This has never happened to me before since I have been using WIndows 7. Here is a couple of comments from another Forum concerning this:

joecrow
Elite

Curious! I have had a number of problems getting the Fall Update to work on an HTPC (no problem on my desktop PC) each time after several failed attempts (various problems with apps, not the OS) I was able to restore it back to 1703 using an Image Backup that I had made prior to the update with no problems. Is it that an Image Backup made under 1709 will no longer work, seems odd given that a Restore (via a Repair Disk) worked OK for me!!!!!! Or is the answer that the Image Backup/Restore is still fully functional on an older Repair Disk????

0 Likes

From what I understand, it seems to be any System Image created under Windows 10 version 1709 that people are having problems restoring. Any Windows prior to version 1709 System Image restores normally.

Was going to ask if you had tried booting to system recovery, looks like you tried it out and worked. Not going to lie, when i heard about trying to restore a image directly through settings, i couldn't believe it. I always known to restore through Direct Boot using a dos tool or other bootable image recovery tool, or in windows-10 case alwasy used the startup menu found in installation ...

I did test the settings recovery option yesterday, made a image and went to test it immediatly after using the settings options. It does prompt a new warning message stating that "* warning :You may have to use boot and startup recovery to use this image* "

which made sense to me, restoring a image with a image on the drive is a big no no <<< That means its going to drop your image directly onto the previous image causes something bad to happen -imo-

Just for clarification were you able to restore the image sucessfully using the boot and startup recovery/repair disk?

0 Likes

In the past I didn't need to use a Windows Installation disk. When you do a System Image Restore, It deletes everything on the drive being restored, as far as I know. It is not restoring an image with a image. It even warns you before restoring your System Image that all information and data will be deleted.

Seems like Microsoft got smart and are now warning people about restoring the System Image Backup under the new version of Windows.

0 Likes

This person's comment seems to explain better about why System Image Restore doesn't work on the new version:

Hi elstaci,

fg2001 has replied to the question I cannot restore any system image which was created in Windows 10 v1709 using Backup and Restore. that you are following in Microsoft Community.

Two things:

1. Deprecated does not mean removed.

2. In my case, I was able to create the system image from 1709 but not restore.

The long-winded answers are pointless. Yes, MS recommends using a third party tool so that at some point in the future when the status goes from deprecated to removed users won't be left high and dry, but the tool  they provide to do the job currently  creates backups just fine. It fails to restore. Period. That's broken. Not deprecated.

I agree, it is broken!

It works fine with the old Legacy machines.

It also works on a UEFI machines as long as you don't need to reformat the disk.

If you try a restore to a different disk it needs to recreate the partitions and reformat, that is the phase when it fails.

Using third party programs is not a solution as suggested by some in this thread.

Microsoft needs to fix the bug.

Another problem with third party programs is that you need to create a bootable disk or USB stick for every PC, because they just setup the drivers for the PC where you create the bootable media.

The windows installation media works pretty much on every PC unless you need some new driver that is not yet included.

I surely don't want to keep a separate bootable recovery media for every different PC I have to deal with

I do agree with the sentiments expresed in the previous post and it is good to have confirmation of the limited funcionality of the tool. In fact I am farly certain that some of the restore failings may have been there ever since Win 10, I know I stopped reformatting on restore after a couple of failures way back. Really nasty, you think you have taken precautions to protect everything only to find that it was useless.

0 Likes

I agree, I have always used System Image Backup as my "FailSafe" method in case anything drastic happened to my Windows OS or Hard Drive. I has always worked like a charm. Now I need to find out if any of the two 3rd party Backup does just as good as a restore as System Backup.

I was really upset when I learned the hard way, that Microsoft is deciding to stop updating and eventually remove this valuable feature since Windows 7.

0 Likes