cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Adept I
Adept I

FX6300+R7 370 - System Freeze/Crash Under Graphics Load

Hello I have a windows 10 system with 8 gbs of ram an AMD FX-6300 6 core cpu a 500w PCU and a AMD Radeon R7 370 Series GPU. Im on driver version 18.6.1 and my temperatures are all normal, I havent had any spikes or anything, but as soon as I put graphic load on the system, mostly happens with games, whether its a brand new beautiful game or a game from 2006 my PC crashes, i get a million lines accross my screen and it just restarts, sometimes it takes a few hours of gaming til it crashes, and sometimes just loading up the title screen will crash it. This has been happening more and more frequently as time goes on, originally it would only crash every few days, now its several times a day. It will not crash in safe mode, ive tried stressing it and putting it under load for hours and it wont crash in safe mode, so my guess is it has something to do with the drivers that are loaded in regular boot up. I appreciate all the information and help you can give me .

Message was edited by: Matt B

Title Edit

0 Kudos
56 Replies
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: Computer crashing whenever graphics are used

Unstable power from PSU?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

How would i test this?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Download a free diagnostic program called OCCT. Run the test for one hour with the "Errors" box check marked. If it finishes without crashing it will open up OCCT folder at "Documents" and show you all the statistics while running the test.

If it crashes while running the test, then go to "Documents" Folder and click on the OCCT folder and then click on the first image. then hit the side arrow to go through all the test images.

While running the GPU Test you will be able to see if your PSU outputs stay within tolerance. If one doesn't, may indicate a bad PSU.

You can also check your PSU. But note, if you have a cheap or weak PSU, running the test might damage it. Normally it will shut down immediately if the PSU is not strong enough or you will see the same image as when you ran the GPU Test.

The PSU Test basically runs both the CPU and GPU Stress test at the same time putting maximum Load on the PSU.

Adept I
Adept I

It crashed immediately, black screen followed by no input then computer restarting, didnt even get a log or picture of what happened, it went from baseline idle to crashed, that was on the GPU test, any point in testing the PSU if the GPU crashed by itself?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Go to Windows "DOCUMENTS" folder. CLick on the OCCT Folder . Then click on the first image. See if you see anything wrong with the data from the test then arrow through the rest of the images showing the various data from the test.

Check to see what the PSU outputs were before it crashed. Especially the 12 vdc, 5 vdc, and 3.3 vdc.

Since it crashed using the GPU Test it will most likely crash in the PSU test since the PSU Test consists of running the GPU and CPU test at the same time.

If you are able to, install your GPU Card in another computer and see if it works correctly. If it does, that indicates you may have a bad PSU or some other hardware that is failing. If it the exact same problem occurs in another computer, then it is a good indication your GPU card may be bad.

You can always install another GPU card even if it is older and see if it crashes under load. If it doesn't and the GPU Test works correctly without crashing this will probably indicate a bad GPU Card. But if it crashes also under load , then it is a good chance your PSU is bad and not providing enough power under load.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think you are alone on this. I was trying to help another to no avail yet with I think a very similar setup. Read this thread too: A little help with computer crashes

amdmatt​  might be able to offer some advice or send you guys same issue to engineering.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I do not have that folder, i told you it crashes directly as soon as the test begins, doesnt even get to load the test all the way, and im noticing radeon settings pops up "reset wattman settings due to unexpected failure" or something like that, is it possible that newer drivers arent compatible with my GPU? and if so how would i figure out what the last compatible driver is?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

I used the driver uninstall tool from that post, but unsure if i should install the newest driver, or if theres an older more stable version i should be using instead

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

I would try the latest then regress if that doesn't work.

0 Kudos