Journeyman III

FX-9830P 16.6 AMD Radeon Settings Crash

My system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD R7 Graphics
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • (Laptop) Asus FX550I
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Home Single Language (64-bit)
  • Driver Version Installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6
  • Processor
    • AMD FX-9830P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
  • RAM
    • 4096MB RAM
  • DirectX Version:
    • DirectX 12

Okay guys, so I kinda need your help on this one. This is actually my very first time handling AMD drivers and what not, so please bear with me

Anyway, here's my problem. Whenever I try to update my drivers using Radeon Settings, I'm able to find updates and it shows me the update for the latest driver which is 17.4.4 (something like that) so I try to update it, but whenever I install the update and try to restart my laptop, the program crashes so I would have to restart my laptop manually. And upon rebooting the laptop, it will say that there is no AMD graphics driver that is detected. So in a nutshell, I am unable to update my drivers to the latest update. Oh and also, whenever I try to open the tab "Display" in Radeon Settings, the program crashes. And that always happens, always.

I'll be providing screenshots of my system, the errors, and my current versions of my drivers and what not.

Hoping for your kind consideration and help guys. Thank you!

P.S.

This laptop isn't even three weeks old. So I would really love if someone can help me out to resolve this.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
37 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar

Re: AMD Radeon Settings Crash

never update driver using crimson radeon software thats rule #1.

go too computer, drive c: and open that then open amd, how many drivers do you have 2?

either way go to uninstall programs or features. and you will see either amd catalyst or amd software as such. uninstall that and reboot. then go back and see if any amd is still in the uninstall programs most likely still is, uninstall until it is gone rebooting each time. then come to amd website and download the full graphics driver package. thats the correct way to install a new driver. you probably have 2 or more drivers conflicting..!

if the problem still remains which should not.. we will need to uninstall again and remove a little more. like ati technologies and ati file. and reinstall total fresh.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Rebelyell is mainly correct in his advice. I would use Control Panel to uninstall all AMD software. I would run latest DDU in safe mode and have DDU restart the computer automatically after uninstalling AMD drivers and software. Once on your desktop, Open Device Manager and check to see you are running MS basic Display Adapter. If you are, than all traces of AMD has been deleted. Also, make sure your C:\AMD folder is deleted. Than reinstall the AMD package with whatever driver version corresponds to your AMD video card. Than restart again. By the way, You may want to disable Windows Update from automatically installing the latest driver before you are able to run the AMD package of choice for installation before running DDU in safe mode.

If by chance, Device Manager is showing AMD Display driver after running DDU. Try running DDU again in normal mode without restarting and see if it uninstalled the remaining AMD Display driver and is just showing MS Basic Display Driver adapter.

0 Likes
gabrielcarlom_
Journeyman III

Thank you for the help rebelyell! But I do have a question though. Whenever I try to download the latest driver from the website, I can't seem to find the exact driver for my laptop. Yes I do know it's an R7 Graphics, but I don't know what series. So oftentimes, I just download the one that automatically detects and installs the drivers.

0 Likes
gabrielcarlom_
Journeyman III

Thank you for the help! Hehe. I was wondering if the same applies if I can't download the exact driver for my graphics card. I'm not entirely familiar with the series of my graphics card but I do know that it is an R7. I just use the option to automatically detect and install. Would that be okay once I finish uninstalling all AMD software on my laptop? Or do I have to be able to download the EXACT driver for my laptop and graphics?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

This is how you choose the correct driver for your laptop > Download Drivers

These are the correct drivers (full version)  > APU  This is the only driver you install.

Do a clean install :

Uninstall all AMD software using the computer "uninstall a program" feature

Reboot into Safe Mode...run DDU let it reboot.

Install the new drivers.

Reboot

0 Likes
gabrielcarlom_
Journeyman III

Thank you so much mister Kingfish!!!

0 Likes
gabrielcarlom_
Journeyman III

kingfish, just to make sure; I'll be downloading the crimson relive software right? Because I see something else in the optional downloads tab and it says that there is an AMD chipset drivers. Which one will I download?

0 Likes
gabrielcarlom_
Journeyman III

Okay so I did all the steps above, and after doing so, this is what happened when I clicked "Restart Now" from the software installer. Screenshot_83.png

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

which package did you download. chipset i beleive is raid driver

0 Likes