Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

john007
Exemplar

Re: Frequent cursor corruption in Win10

This was fixed years ago.

Is it back from the dead?

I haven't seen this cursor bug in years?

marinkavandam
Adept I

It's alive and kicking on the Hewlett Packard Laptop 17-ca0xxx I can assure you!

I've had my HP a couple of years. I use it in bed with a remote keyboard and mouse hitched to the TV at the bottom of the bed via an HDMI cable and the corrupt cursor problem has been a constant problem all that time. I like working in bed, spending most of my morning in bed, so it's a significant issue for me. I rarely get through a morning without having to restart at least once. Luckily the restart is very quick on the HP, so it's livable with -- but only just. The corrupt cursor is exactly like that pictured in this forum. I've never seen a fix for it and I'm only posting about it because I'm so annoyed it still hasn't been fixed in the latest drivers.

But there is a ray of hope on the horizon. I notice a contributor here says you can fix it by putting the computer to sleep and then waking it again. I actually haven't tried that, but so far haven't had a corrupt cursor to test. If that really is so, then that would be an acceptable fix. I'll let the forum know if it works.

Thanks for your response.

William Boyd

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar

Install RadeonPro mod and use a custom animated cursor.

I would completely reformat the unit, sounds like a keylogger to me, this bug is fixed.

0 Kudos
marinkavandam
Adept I

I thank you for the input John, but this bug is not fixed and has never been reported as fixed. No one has ever suggested corrupt cursors are caused by keyloggers. I'm *very* security conscious. I run Norton 360 which detects rootkit malware. Custom animated cursors are not an option. I want to use the standard Windows 10 pointer cursor.

It does look as if putting the computer to sleep between sessions helps. Previously I just left my computer on, as i've always done. When I'm sure I'll let the forum know.

Incidentally, blue screen reports suggest the fault condition is "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER".

0 Kudos
marinkavandam
Adept I

Adding to this, I promised I would report back on whether putting your computer into sleep mode and then rewaking fixes a corrupt cursor, and I can now report that it does, so that's good news and a very effective work-round because you don't have to restart your work and lose what you didn't save.

This morning was actually quite a hard test. Usualy the cursor corrupts while reading a document or something of the sort and you have plenty of time to save your work and even continue working for a while before the computer freezes. But this morning it corrupted during a YouTube video and I was faced with a stuttering cursor that was reluctant to appear and move. It took me several goes to get it across to Start/Power/Sleep and then Sleep didn't properly kick in for a minute or so. Eventually it did, and I was able to awaken the computer directly and found myself back in YouTube with a good cursor and my other work intact.

So that's certainly an acceptable fix, though I should much prefer it if AMD got their act together and directed someone, a college intern perhaps, to fix the way their drivers handle the standard Windows 10 cursor in dual monitor mode.

For newbies, you can  put your computer to sleep with Start/Power/Sleep menu. After a few minutes any keyboard or mouse input will wake it. Otherwise hit the Windows key on the keyboard or the Power button on the laptop proper. Usually sleep mode is part of your computer's power plan after  15 minutes whatever inactivity, but I have that disabled on my computers because I share my bedroom and living room computers' work with Splashtop  Streamer  and that software can't wake up computers in sleep mode.

Hope all this helps others trying to work round this really irritating AMD corrupt cursor dual monitor bug.  

0 Kudos
gambit2k
Adept II

So dissapointed to see this error again after believing it was fixed years ago. 2020 just got worse

marinkavandam
Adept I

I have slightly improved my Sleep fix. It turns out there are hot keys to activate this. First Windows + X, then U when the menu pops up, then S when the secondary menu pops up. Menu popping up can take up to half a minute or so, and after the comoputer goes to sleep perhaps another two or minutes befdore you can start again. But it is an effectgive fix, allowing me to coninue working without getting out of bed, where I geberallu se my bedroom computer. IT would be nice if AMD finally fixed this. Every session lasting more than a couple of hours say, I get a corrupt cursor that eventually freezes it. Sometimes more often.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar

This is so strange as I had the exact issue back in 2015 and worse.

It was fixed for me in 2016 and never seen the bug since.

I owned a FuryX back then which is still in the R9 range so I don't understand how its back from the dead?

0 Kudos
marinkavandam
Adept I

It's been a real problem on my Hewlett Packard Laptop 17-ca0xxx I can assure you. I say "been" because for the last few days there's been a hiatus with no problems. But that's happened before. When I next restart (I keep my machine running all the time as much as possible, but of course sometimes I am obliged to restart) it will come flooding back with a frozen cursor every couple of hours or so obliging me to Sleep and wake up the computer to clear the problem.

0 Kudos
monsieurgaz
Journeyman III

I'm getting this almost constantly with my new RX 5700 - really really annoying and making the PC almost unusable, has become worse with the latest driver update (20.5.1), turning on Mouse Tails seems to have resolved it somewhat though the pointer can disappear now when trying to finely position e.g. in text selection.

Having further issues with stability of this card so may have to return it, I can swap in my old R9 380 with zero other changes and everything is fine!

0 Kudos