cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

archz2
Adept II

Freezing during driver installation

I'm running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) on my Lenovo G500 laptop. It has AMD Radeon HD 8570 (2GB) graphics card, Intel integrated HD graphics, i5 processor, 500 GB SATA Hard disk and 8GB DDR3 RAM. My laptop had slowed down over past six months. Last time I did clean installation of Windows 8.1 was probably in 2015. Yesterday, I did a clean installation of Windows 8.1 - 64 bit (using official ISO file from Microsoft website that I downloaded few days back) on my laptop. It booted fine. It also automatically installed crimson AMD drivers for my graphic card and Intel drivers (HD4000) for my on board graphics card.

First using DDU tool in safe mode, I uninstalled Intel and AMD drivers.Then I downloaded official ISO file of Windows 10 version 1803 from Microsoft's website. I made a bootable USB from this ISO file. Then I started the installation by selecting the respective setup file from windows explorer. I chose "keep files and applications" setting in order to prevent loss of data and to get back to Windows 8.1 installation if anything goes wrong.

Windows 10 started fine. Then I let it install all the updates from the Windows automatic update feature. I let the laptop restart whenever the windows update asked to do so. After checking multiple times that my windows 10 was up to date I downloaded Adrenalin Edition 18.4.1 Optional drivers from AMD's official website, and ran the setup. The windows update automatically installed Intel integrated on board graphics drivers too.

Then I started the setup of AMD graphics drivers.

The installation got stuck in midway with the white progress bar nearly half filled. My laptop froze. I waited for 45 minutes before I forced it close using the power button. Now upon pressing the power button, I got the message that windows was attempting to repair the startup. Then I got a blue screen telling me that it couldn't repair. Restarting multiple times gave the same messages.

I am now back to my windows 8.1 installation. I got back using advanced startup settings. Now what should I do to install Windows 10 on my laptop?

0 Likes
0 Replies