cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

indextm
Adept II

Freeze at startup ( dxgkrnl.sys / 0x3b / LiveKernelEvent 1a1 and 141 ) RX Vega 56 - Windows 10

I had a freeze two days ago (14.09) when starting Windows and then in a game (PC hung up, still image but the sound worked) and an error message from Radeon Software that different versions are installed. So I could not open the Radeon Software.

The faulty Radeon version was probably version (20.8.3 Optional) from 09.09.2020. After I uninstalled the version by Windows repair in safe mode with amdcleanuputility, I reinstalled the version (20.8.3 Optional) from 09.09.2020 and had no errors until today.

But this morning (16.09) I had another freeze on boot and a message in the Windows Reliability Monitoring: AMD Crash Defender Service not working anymore > APPCRASH > amdfendrsr.exe > WERInternalMetadata.xml

I uninstalled the Radeon software again in safe mode with amdcleanuputility and tried the version (20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL) from 26.05.2020. During installation the screen went black and a short time later Windows rebooted. After that I had again the error with freezing when starting Windows. 

I uninstalled the Radeon software again in safe mode with amdcleanuputility and let Windows install the graphics driver with Windows Update. Now he has installed "Advanced Micro Device" Version 26.20.12028.2 from 15.08.2019. With this driver I don't get any more freeze when starting Windows. Under optional updates he offers me an update to version 26.20.13002.133 from 26.08.2019.

0 Likes
30 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Freeze at startup ( dxgkrnl.sys / 0x3b / LiveKernelEvent 1a1 and 141 ) RX Vega 56 - Windows 10

Could from a corrupt AMD installation. Try using this basic method to remove and install the latest AMD Driver, preferably the WHQL one:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

After following the above procedure see if Windows continues to freeze at startup.

By the way, When you mentioned that your PC froze when starting Windows you are talking about when Windows starts loading and not during POST, Correct?

That Dxgkrnl.sys error has been mentioned to be either RAM Memory defect or not being compatible or HDD/SSD issues. You might want to run test on both just to rule out Hardware defection.

Also run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell the following command: SFC /scannow to verify your Windows OS is not corrupt or missing files.

To see if it is a Driver causing the problems after doing the above method try enabling Windows Verifier.

Here is the explanation and how to use it from Microsoft Docs: Driver Verifier - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs 

0 Likes
indextm
Adept II

Re: Freeze at startup ( dxgkrnl.sys / 0x3b / LiveKernelEvent 1a1 and 141 ) RX Vega 56 - Windows 10

Several tests have confirmed that the RAM and the SSD are free of errors.

no errors >>> chkdsk

no errors >>> mdsched
no errors >>> sfc /scannow
no errors >>> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

no errors >>> dxdiag
no errors >>> CPU-Z / GPU-Z / HWinfo64 / CrystalDiskInfo
no errors >>> Windows troubleshooting / Windows drive status / Windows Update troubleshooting /
no errors >>> Automatic repair > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Advanced options > Startup help

I am trying to uninstall the driver with DDU in safe mode and install driver 20.4.2.

Thanks for the tip with the "Windows Driver Verifier" I didn't know that yet.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Re: Freeze at startup ( dxgkrnl.sys / 0x3b / LiveKernelEvent 1a1 and 141 )  RX Vega 56 - Windows 10

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You don't have any hardware or software problems with the Vega GPU. Maybe RAM, maybe motherboard ... If I were you, I would use one DIMM and reset the BIOS. I'd try to find the problem... So the problem is not the GPU....

0 Likes
indextm
Adept II

Re: Freeze at startup ( dxgkrnl.sys / 0x3b / LiveKernelEvent 1a1 and 141 )  RX Vega 56 - Windows 10

Only if I install the "AMD Chipset Driver" I occasionally get a black screen during the installation and always get the error that the PC hangs at startup.

No other program causes an error. Neither during installation, nor during execution, nor during startup. Also no games cause problems. Error analysis tests were all negative. Stress tests are without errors.

Without AMD chipset driver the PC works perfectly! As soon as I install the chipset driver, the errors occur.

I reinstalled Windows yesterday. Clean full install. I did not install anything, just run windows update. After the restart the PC hangs up at startup. So I delete the chipset driver in safe mode with DDU and the Pc boots without errors!

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I cannot make suggestions for you. Because I don't have a Ryzen system. It would be best to find the cause of the error, and act according to the situation that you found. Because a different user may be getting same error because of something different. I just warned you that there is a problem with the motherboard in general not the GPU.

0 Likes
indextm
Adept II

AMD Chipsatz.jpg

AMD Chipsatz1.jpg

AMD Chipsatz2.jpg

AMD Chipsatz3.jpg

AMD Chipsatz4.jpg

0 Likes
indextm
Adept II

I have also tested this driver. Same problem. No driver works. every time will the screen black during installation and freezes at Windows startup. if I remove it, booting works fine.

Radeon Software 20.4.2, 20.8.3 or 20.9.1 or AMD chipset driver 2.07.14.327 or Microsoft Update Version 26.20.12028.2 or 26.20.13002.133. Everything causes this error.

0 Likes
indextm
Adept II

stuck @ boot after installing "any" AMD graphic Driver. After about one minute the PC will automatically shut down. After 3 failed boots the automatic recovery starts.

0 Likes