Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

snackoman
Adept I

Freesync stops working, heavy microstutter and flicker

Hi all,

I recently bought an rx 590, to try out freesync with my AOC C24G1 monitor. It worked great, but after a 1 or 2 hours freesync would suddenly stop working, and instead give me microstutter in all games.

I can get freesync to work again by reinstalling my graphics driver, but it always breaks a few hours after i've installed the any graphics driver. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. I also use a second monitor that does not have freesync, is it possible that it is causing the problems?

0 Likes
10 Replies
snackoman
Adept I

Also, forgot to mention that I noticed the flicker problem that some freesync users seem to be getting, but that only happens for me when the heavy microstutter kicks in.

0 Likes

Sorry you are having issues. While there have definitely been some issues in drivers regarding FreeSync. Not all those issue are the drivers. One of the often overlooked things are the monitors themselves. One being, make sure FreeSync is enabled in the monitors settings. Second is people don't download the driver for their monitor. This monitor does have a driver so make sure you use it. AOC Monitor | Download drivers

The drivers work really well on my RX 580 which is very similar to your RX 590. My range only goes to 75 and yours to 144. I have seen more driver related complaints in that higher range. Also note that IPS panels typically don't flicker. VA panels are know to have some flicker. TN panels seem to be the worst. From the specs I read yours is a VA panel so some flickering may be normal.

None of that explains the moniotor suddenly stopping working randomly with FreeSync. Hopefully if you aren't already using the driver that fixes it. Please don't assume that if you loaded that driver at one time it is still loaded. WIndows update likes to switch the driver back to the Generic PNP. So make sure you have the right one.

From there many have said they bought a quality Display Port cable and that fixes things or they switched and try the HDMI port or vice versa. So that may give you a couple things to try.

Hope you get it working. Please let us know if something did or didn't work.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response.

I only assumed it was the driver since I could always get freesync to work again by reinstalling it.

I didn't think of updating the monitors driver, thanks for that advice.

I'll come back later after I've tested freesync again with the monitor drivers.

It may have no affect but may help a lot. Worth a shot! Look forward to hearing how it worked out.

0 Likes

Hi again, sorry  for the late reply, been busy with other things with life.

Installing the monitor driver and then restarting the pc fixes freesync for me, but again, stops working after a few hours.

HOWEVER, now that nvidia has started to support adaptive sync, i tried installing my gtx 1050 ti again, and turned on gsync.

I have no clue how or why, but it's been 5 hours now, and my monitors is working as it should be, on the 1050 ti.

I'm starting to think that there is a problem with the driver here, but I may be wrong.

Doesn't surprise me.

0 Likes

been letting my pc run for a while now, still works as expected. Shame that freesync won't work with the rx 590.

Have you resolved this issue I know I am replying a bit late but I have this same issue on The 20.2.2 drivers after 2 hours of gameplay Freesync stops working rx590 sapphire nitro it is extremely frustrating and I fix it by restarting but I juts want to play games without having to restart every 2 hours

0 Likes

I am also experience the same issue on 20.2.2 drivers with a similar amount of timespan on my rx580 MSI ARMOR. Was really hoping someone knew what was going on with these issues.

0 Likes

thank you so much, i had no idea it had drivers and it totally solved my problem

0 Likes