cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Stonechat12
Journeyman III

Freesync Still on when turned off in profile

In some game profiles I need to turn Freesync off. However, when setting Freesync to "off" in the game profile it is still on. My display still receives a VRR signal and the issues with Freesync are still seen in game. The only way to turn off Freesync is to do it globally right now. Is there something that I'm missing?

Side note, for some games the Freesync range remains at 48Hz to 60Hz (4k range) when running at 1080p. Is there a reason why the range doesn't adjust to 48Hz to 120Hz? (displays 1080p range).

0 Likes
7 Replies
hawkeye
Elite

What games ?
I recently played Battlefield 1...that has issues with the video cutscenes when freesync is on so I turned it off in the game profile and it worked.
As for the 48-60Hz issue what do you mean ? Is the framerate locked to 60 fps ? Or when the framerate goes above 60 fps it behaves like vsync off and you start to see video tearing ?

0 Likes

I've tested it on several games including Skyrim (VRR causes nasty ghosting) & Rise of the Tomb Raider (VRR actually works correctly with this.) Every game I've tested still has Freesync on when turned off in the profile.

As for the Free Sync Range. I have my desktop set to 4k and the VRR range at 4k is 48Hz to 60Hz. However, when I run some games at 1080p the range doesn't update to the 1080p range of the panel of 48Hz to 120Hz. Rise of the Tomb Raider actually does change correctly. Basically some games will have screen tearing at 120Hz 1080p when they shouldn't. The AMD overlay will state that the range is 48Hz to 60Hz in these games. I don't know if this would be driver related anyway.

0 Likes

There is something that doesn't make sense to me.
"I have my desktop set to 4k and the VRR range at 4k is 48Hz to 60Hz. However, when I run some games at 1080p the range doesn't update to the 1080p range of the panel of 48Hz to 120Hz."

What do you mean ? What monitor are you using ? Is it a 4K panel with 60Hz or is it a 1080p panel with 120Hz. Freesync range doesn't change with resolution. I have 1440p 144Hz monitor and my freesync range is 48 to 144 at 1440p, 1080p, 720p etc. it doesn't go higher than 144Hz.
If you have a 4K 60Hz monitor than it doesn't go higher than that. You get a 48 to 60 freesync range regardless of the resolution.
If you have a 1080p monitor at 120Hz than how are you using 4K at desktop ?

0 Likes

I'm using at TV. Technically it is 4k 120Hz, but I have a 5700XT that only goes up to 60Hz @ 4k. At 1080p it goes up to 120Hz. I run games at 1080p. As far as I know most TVs have specific VRR ranges based on resolution. 

0 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. Yes, TVs support different VRR ranges based on resolution. I thought you used a PC monitor
The 5700XT supports 4k@120Hz but only on DisplayPort and I suppose you use the HDMI port on the TV and that is limited to 60Hz.
I never used any GPU on a TV and I have no idea what works and what is buggy. I heard that VRR support on TVs is kinda broken ....I have zero experience using VRR on a TV, sorry I can't help you with this issue. 

0 Likes

My biggest issue is that turning Freesync off in a game profile does nothing. I've tried re-installing drivers with no luck.

0 Likes

On my monitor turning freesync off or on from the radeon software game profile works fine. I think it is a bug in drivers with your TV. Just write a support ticket to AMD and be sure to specify your exact TV model and GPU. https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form
or just use the bug report tool from radeon drivers.

0 Likes