cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

prefixal
Journeyman III

FreeSync problem with laptop

So I own a Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 with a 4700u processor.

When I first got the laptop there were preinstalled AMD Radeon Lite drivers on it. I figured I'd upgrade those drivers to the "real" drivers, by which I mean the Radeon Adrenaline ones. The thing is, FreeSync was working fine when I still had the Lite drivers and it said it was supported. But when I "upgraded" my drivers to Adrenaline ones, it says that FreeSync is not supported and it no longer works. I also have an external monitor that supports FreeSync, but when I plug in my laptop it still says that FreeSync is unsupported.

Have anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

0 Likes
2 Replies

Sorry to hear about the problem.

Can't say as I know how many have this issue if any. Don't remember any specific complaints on this. 

What I can tell you is that the fact your laptop doesn't even use the normal driver and uses "Lite" drivers, is a red flag.

Many laptops and especially the convertible type use CUSTOM DRIVERS. 

They do so because the hardware makers are not using a reference design for the graphics. 

They may be using custom cooling, power and even features that differ or are omitted.

The "Vanilla" driver from AMD has no idea what changes the laptop maker made on your model and just installs a reference set of drivers that may or may not work on that device properly depending on what changes the hardware maker did.

Your best bet is to always get a laptop driver from the laptop manufacturer.

Unfortunately many laptop makers don't supply updated drivers for an extended period.

You can always talk to the laptop makers support department about what drivers they feel are compatible if newer ones are not working on your device.  

If you decide to return to a driver from you laptop maker you should download that and then run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com to clean the slate for the driver regression. You do this from safe mode with the internet disabled.

Then with the internet still disabled re-install the driver.

Good Luck!

PS   If none of that helps do ask for the help from Lenovo's support team. They are really very good in my experience.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

Can't say as I know how many have this issue if any. Don't remember any specific complaints on this. 

What I can tell you is that the fact your laptop doesn't even use the normal driver and uses "Lite" drivers, is a red flag.

Many laptops and especially the convertible type use CUSTOM DRIVERS. 

They do so because the hardware makers are not using a reference design for the graphics. 

They may be using custom cooling, power and even features that differ or are omitted.

The "Vanilla" driver from AMD has no idea what changes the laptop maker made on your model and just installs a reference set of drivers that may or may not work on that device properly depending on what changes the hardware maker did.

Your best bet is to always get a laptop driver from the laptop manufacturer.

Unfortunately many laptop makers don't supply updated drivers for an extended period.

You can always talk to the laptop makers support department about what drivers they feel are compatible if newer ones are not working on your device.  

If you decide to return to a driver from you laptop maker you should download that and then run DDU from wagnardsoft dot com to clean the slate for the driver regression. You do this from safe mode with the internet disabled.

Then with the internet still disabled re-install the driver.

Good Luck!

PS   If none of that helps do ask for the help from Lenovo's support team. They are really very good in my experience.

0 Likes