Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jaan95
Adept I

Freesync is not working in apex legends and insane fps drop

Hello everyone !

Before explaining about my problem, I'm so sorry for my english.

I have some problem with freesync. Freesync cannot eliminate tears or micro stutters in apex legends. (in Cod Warzone works great) I read several topics. Actually I was using nvidia card with my freesync monitor, I hadn't any problem with it. I just moved to amd gpu for using freesync but it's a little bit disappointment.

I also have problem with fps drop in apex legends. I'm not only one trouble with it. I checked reddit and another platforms.. People getting fps drop from 230 to 100fps.. dats insane. for 144 hz user it's really bad and this is seriously problem. I think this is problem with amd's driver.

my specs ;

Ryzen 5 3600x

Rx 5600 xt

2x8 16 gb ram 3000mhz

ssd, m2 sdd 1tb

650w psu gold moduler

asus vp249qgr ( display port 1.2 vesa certificed )

So what did I try to solve this problem ; 

-DDU 

-RTSS capped to 141 and 138 (138 was better but tearing was) and I don't know what's the reason.. RTSS does not work with amd gpu in Apex legends well. Giving me stutters. I had gtx 1660 super , I did not have kind of problem.

-Installed and Reinstalled Apex legends

-Tried to use v-sync with freesync

-Tried to use raedon chill + freesync + v-sync ( still visible tearings and sometimes weird lag for a second, But still best option for me now. unfortunately getting input lag.)

-Enhanced sync is horrible option for apex legends.

-Tried to use empty stand by list.

-and a lot of solutions.. even I can't remember. 

0 Likes
14 Replies
rillan
Adept I

Do not use any sort of frame capping with FreeSync. The frame time analysis algorithms that govern FreeSync, FRTC or other methods will conflict and break both solutions. It's unnecessary. Here's why:

The only time you'd want to turn off vsync with FreeSync is if the app's FPS can go way above your monitor's max refresh and you want the lowest possible input latency at the expense of a little tearing at high framerates.

If you're not trying to get the lowest possible input latency, or the app's FPS stays inside your monitor's DRR window on the regular, then leaving vsync enabled will cap your framerate anyways.

FREESYNC WITH VSYNC

1. If vsync is enabled, it is only active when the FPS is above or below your monitor's refresh rate range.

2. If FPS is below, the monitor has no choice but to use vsync in the double or triple-buffer mode you've set. This will avoid tearing, but add input latency.

3. If the FPS is above, the GPU will reject frames ("FPS cap") to keep the application inside the FreeSync window. It will enforce smoothness. You won't get the lowest possible input latency due to rejected frames, but no extra latency is being added.

4. When your game is in the FreeSync window, this is the lowest possible input latency.

FREESYNC WITHOUT VSYNC

1. If you really care about input latency, then you can turn vsync off.

2. If the app is inside the FreeSync window, FreeSync is active. This is the lowest possible input latency.

3. If the app is below the FreeSync range, monitor will run at max refresh until the app's FPS gets back inside the DRR window. You will experience tearing, but no frames will be buffered or held as with vsync.

4. If the app is above the FreeSync range, monitor will run at max refresh and your FPS can go however high it will. This sustains the lowest possible input latency because no frames are being buffered, held or rejected as with vsync. You will experience some tearing until the FPS falls back inside the FreeSync window and FreeSync resumes.

** IF YOUR MONITOR IS COMPATIBLE WITH FREESYNC LFC**

1. If your monitor has a sufficiently wide range to support our Low Framerate Compensation feature, this supersedes your vsync setting. It has lower input latency, no tearing, and no vsync stutter. It's much better than vsync.

tl;dr: Most people want to leave FreeSync + Vsync enabled.

PROS: GPU won't waste power/heat/noise on unused frames, game forced inside the FreeSync range as often as possible, no stuttering, no tearing.

CONS: Lowest possible input latency will not be achieved if app goes outside of FreeSync range. Vsync stutter possible when app is below FreeSync window.

If you're a stickler for mouse latency, use FreeSync + vsync OFF.

PROS: No stuttering/tearing inside FreeSync window, lowest possible latency at all times.

CONS: Tearing possible when app leaves FreeSync window

IF app FPS < min_refresh THEN Low Framerate Compensation (LFC) supersedes vsync.

source

0 Likes

make sure this option is not working in apex legends. because v-sync on(in application) and freesync on cannot eliminate screen tearing. I have freesync premium monitor.

freesync on v sync off = tears still occurs even capping frame rate or not!

freesync on v sync on = input lag and still little tearing

anti-lag option is tottally crap and getting micro stutters.

if you want see dat , I can make a video and proof it.

tried drivers 20.7.2 ( terrible option, freesync broken.)

20.4.2 (better choise)

Only way I can play without tearing and sttutters 

Freesync - on

V-sync - on ( in game )

Radeon chill - cap to 141 fps.

Buuut... we are getting insane input lag. and this card is not optimized well for apex legends, getting fps drops in some places in apex legends! another people also have kind of problems. you can check reddit or another sites. even with my gtx 1660 super, I hadn't problem like this. I don't see any solution with amd gpu for this game. I'll sell this video card soon. I recommend who plays apex legends, better to dont mess with amd gpu! you guys can check a lot troubles in forums.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Please make sure that your window is window 10 2004 and amd version is 20.7.2

20.7.2 driver is horrible and I'm using windows 10 2004. problem starts with amd gpu. Because I tested everything.

0 Likes
puddle
Journeyman III

The only thing that worked for me was to turn off freesync and turn vsync on in game.

I tried everything, this was the only way the game runned smooth.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Hi, im having the same exact issues.

I actually had these issues with my old card aswell ( 1080ti )

And not with a 6900xt.

The one thing that boggles me is that you need to keep the game capped below 190 in order for it to "run smooth" says people. And yes the game feels absolute trash at 200+.

So here i am using freesync with my game capped at 189 since thats the only way i'll get some form of smooth gameplay 60% of the time, the rest is just abyssmal, tears like crazy, affects the mousemovement aswell.

Im losing patience with both my hardware and this game

And im curious, what v-sync did you use ingame? there are several and non are called just simple v-sync

0 Likes

Cant edit my own post apperantly.

I mean: And "now" with a 6900xt

0 Likes

With 6700xt and 5600x all closed to amd adrenaline to Sam closed freesync closed and cap at 154fps from the steam menu on a 144hz screen monitor c27h the game runs relatively smoothly

Menu apex all  video settings minimum 

0 Likes

I have is setup like this:

Monitor: 144hz

Adrenalin -> Display -> AMD FreeSync Premium Pro -> Enabled

Adrenalin -> Graphics -> Anti-lag -> Enabled

Adrenalin -> Graphics -> Vsync -> Always On (in game I have it OFF!)

Adrenalin -> Graphics -> Advanced -> Frame rate target control -> 141 fps

Adrenalin -> Gaming -> Apex Legends (profile) -> Amd FreeSync -> AMD Optimized

There is maybe a little bit of input lag (but I don't really care) but no tearing at all.

0 Likes

in the amd adrenaline games apex legend performance level how many fps shows.if I put a cap on 141fps it shows 133fps in adrenaline programe. I put a cap on 154fps and I see it shows 143fps adrenaline program, like that but I do not know why.

0 Likes

Are You sure You don't have any other fps-capping software installed like Riva Tuner?

0 Likes

no i have this code with steam only

" -dev -preload -high +fps_max 154 -novid -fullscreen "

0 Likes
puddle
Journeyman III

Let me know the results if you try it.

0 Likes