Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Freesync flicker with CF791 @ ultimate with new driver version

Thanks, that's good information.

I have BFV and can download 18.6.1 and compare it to 19.2.3, i'll let you know what i find out. 

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you using Radeon Overlay Performance Metrics?

I tested BFV at 3440 Ultra Settings DX11 on Vega 64 on 18.6.1 and 19.2.3 both using HDMI. I could not reproduce the issue.

I saw very subtle menu flickering on both sets of drivers while moving the mouse around in the video options. Most importantly, there was no flickering during gameplay only on menu screens. I tested a portion of single player and online conquest mode. 

When i last investigated menu flickering for this display we had improved it as much as possible and there was no further room for improvement. 

I have a Samsung Ue32850R 4K PLS FreeSync display and that does not experience any flickering on menu screens, unlike the CF791. 

srsbsns
Adept I

Matt I also have this problem with Acer XF270HU. Its a 1440P IPS 144hz display. I created a thread with a possible fix. Im still not 100% but it seems like when relive is installed its causing the problem even if its not active. Is there any chance we can look into this display or my issue?

FreeSync flicker source solved? 

0 Likes
wechhe
Adept II

Thanks for the tip. I have reinstalled 19.2.3 without ReLive and the Flickering is the same. So no fix for me.

0 Likes
wechhe
Adept II

Thanks for testingamdmatt

You said you do have flickering using 18.6.1 which is interesting because I do not have it at all with that version. So we have two observations now:

1.) I do not experience flickering with 18.6.1 while you do.

2.) I seem to sense the flickering a lot more than you seem to do with 19.2.3

The flickering with later drivers is not that subtle in my eyes as you described. I guess it depends on what happens on the screen, your graphic settings, FPS, etc. and it might be very subjective.

Does that mean the case will be closed because you couldn't reproduce it on your PC? Or is there anything else we can test or look into?

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

As the flickering is limited to menu screens in some games and we cannot improve on that further, i don't think there is much else that can be done. 

0 Likes
wechhe
Adept II

I've been playing with FreeSync Ultimate for last couple of days:

- Overwatch: Flickering only in menus, no problem. But since I have max FPS (set to 98) anyway - I don't need Ultimate and I guess that is the reason why there is not flickering

- Battlefield 5: Flickering mainly in menus, but also ingame. It bothered me too much in the end so I will switch it off.

- Division 2 open beta: Flickering is everywhere - it is sooo annoying and absolutely not playable. I have around 55-70 FPS so I would really like to have the extended FreeSync range. I guess the reason for the flickering is actually the lower FPS compared to the other games.

In conclusion:

FreeSync Ultimate is usable when I don't need it, i.e. the FPS are above 80 anyway. And when I do need it because the FPS are below 80 - it is unplayable.

Question:

When I have VSync enabled ingame & FreeSync set to Standard, what happens when I drop below Freesync range, e.g. play with 60 FPS? Do I use VSync without FreeSync, so have increased Input lag? Shouldn't I also have half FPS or something? I remember in the old times when using VSync having less FPS than the monitor refresh rate the FPS will be only half of the monitor's refresh rate.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't see any flickering in BFV in game, other than in the menus. How are you reproducing?

0 Likes
wechhe
Adept II

By menu you also mean the "Deploy" menu? Because that is already annoying enough since you spend quite a time in the deploy menu during a game (depending on how bad a round is ;-) ).

I just played a round Conquest and I've been experiencing flickering during the game, i.e. not on any menu - of course only noticeable when the picture is more or less static, e.g. I am behind cover aiming. Often it is "just" one or two flicker, but every time I am pulled out of the game.

0 Likes
yodamann
Adept II

are you using DP or HDMI 2.0 I find there is less issues with HDMI then DP in general. Division 2 retail has some flicker in menus but gameplay seems ok for the most part for me on my Radeon VII. I really hope AMD holds monitor vendors to higher standards in regards to flicker in the future, this is pretty unacceptable imho. freesync is supposed to improve the experience not make it worse...

0 Likes