cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tim4
Adept I

FR: More power limit options for Radeon VII (Windows)

Hello. Currently power limit setting in 'Radeon Software' limited to -20%, but on Linux it possible to lower up to 110W and less which equal to -60%. This makes card run absolutely silent without any risks (i suppose) and this requires zero efforts for user. This especially useful for prolonged workloads or even 24/7 for rendering and such. With current -20% almost always not possible to run silently card on such workloads which is huge issue sometimes.

Can you add please this opportunity and lower limits in next version of 'Radeon Software' at least to -50% for Radeon VII cards?

Current version: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.1.

0 Likes
7 Replies

These limits are set by the card manufacturer....not AMD. I have seen the same video card from different suppliers with a -10 power setting and the other with a -80 setting.

0 Likes

But there is basically the only one manufacturer for Radeon VII isn't that correct? Card is being criticized mostly because of being loud and this tweak could easily fix this for this who doesn't need maximum performance.

0 Likes

Again...the limits are imposed by the card manufacturer to suit the purpose for which it was bought..i.e. Gaming/workstation/,etc.

Setting your computer power plan to balanced/or better yet, energy saving might affect this.

0 Likes

> the limits are imposed by the card manufacturer

How this should solve my issue? Manufacturer is XFX but we all know that nothing is prevent to add this option for 'Radeon Software' developers and this is trivial. And it works flawlessly on Linux as i already said.

> Setting your computer power plan to balanced/or better yet, energy saving might affect this.

What exactly "this"? I described the problem. The problem is that the noise like aircraft take-off when Radeon VII is running at 100% for 5 mins when fans spinning at 2000-2900 rpm. The only solution there is lowering power limit or messing with frequency/voltage manually. PL is safest and simplest method to solve this. Even -40% would enough i think. I have a case with good ventilation, 2 intake fans, 1 outtake. This is still not enough for UX which i want from my hardware and this could fixed trivially by 'Radeon Software' devs. Computer power plan balanced or energy saving doesn't solve this problem in any way and why it even should solve it.

0 Likes

Talk to any card manufacturer.....like XFX. maybe they can explain better. 

Are you not using zero rpm ? 

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/zero-rpm-mode-in-amd-radeon-wattman-is-it-safe-for-the-card-...

As far as the computer power plan is concerned, high performance mode does several things...number one is disabling core parking..(google it).

0 Likes

> Talk to any card manufacturer.....like XFX. maybe they can explain better.

Thanks. This is helpful just can you share proper link for XFX support please or i should email them? Don't get me wrong, maybe there even a real reasons why they made -20% and not less, i don't know, but if there rational reasons for such limits then it's okay since there is always other options available in 'Radeon Software' which could help achieve this. But power limit is still looks more safe and also could produce better performance rather lock frequency and voltage manually.

> Are you not using zero rpm ?

Not using manual fan curve and zero rpm feature. Fans hardware controlled.

> As far as the computer power plan is concerned, high performance mode does several things...number one is disabling core parking..(google it).

Now i understand your point, yes. But in case with this card this didn't help, i've tried and tested now. If i set power saving mode in Win this will not affect power limit slider in WattMan and it still limited to -20%.

0 Likes

https://www.xfxforce.com/support/contact-us

Zero RPM can be applied through Global settings. Normally it is on by default, but some people open the global settings and make changes. Global settings should be left at default , never be opened or changed. All of that is done in game/app profiles. When a profile is not being used, or a game/app closed the graphics revert to Global settings where zero rpm is applied.

0 Likes