cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cng
Journeyman III

FPS drops when using VSR and VSYNC

Hello, i have 5700XT and 22.11.2 driver and i think that new driver causing FPS drops when i playing games with VSR and VSYNC. I have 1920x1080 60Hz display and many games are offering only trashy TAA or not quite good FXAA(SMAA/MSAA almost vanishes) so i am using upscaling Virtual Super Resolution, so ingame i set resolution to 2560x1440 or 3840x2160(depends on performance). I am using VSYNC bcs it cuts FPS to 60(due to 60Hz display) and corrects tearing. Now i have problems with VSR+VSYNC, frames dropping down to 40 when playing, its not performance problem bcs when i disable VSYNC FPS are between 70-140(depends on game). Can somebody try that, AMD fix that?

0 Likes
8 Replies
cng
Journeyman III

So it lags w/wo VSR, just with enabled VSYNC, turning on Enhanced sync seems to work with games(partially) but now game cursor have heavy lags. Its weird, few seconds it is ok, after a while it starts lagging, next few second it get worse with heavy lags and after a while it will get better and that repetetive, like some sinus amplitude of cursor lags. dafug

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

Hi, that is a weird issue.. still, can you try a lower resolution and test if that lags? (So using native reso, not VSR) Something to check as well is if adaptive/enhanced sync (not freesync) is enabled.. this doubles frames in cases when it drops below freesync threshold (but arent counted as frames)

Disable freesync, vsync and enhanced sync, an please test at 1080p. If no issue go to vsr-1440p without fxaa/taa .. 

Also .. do you have the issue in other games?? CP2077 is mostly NV optimized, and the latest patch does not favor non rtx40xx cards. 

Also AMD released a 23.2.2 driver, which might resolve the issue (although your issue is not mentioned) and if not i would try 22.12.1

Just to be sure: did you test another HDMI or DP cable? Do you have a dual monitor setup, and if so please disconnect the second display? (Reboot after disconnect and test, reconnect the second display, and set both to the same refreshrate, test again)

Please let us know, and good luck.

0 Likes

Yeah really weird, first time i have noticed this was after spring or summer driver update, winter 22.12.1 was no change, now i am using amernime omega drivers because of DX9/11 performance boost(due to amd doesnt care about older GPUs), last game i played and were affected by this is Mafia3, Grim Dawn, Divinity Original Sin 2(DOS2) even old Aliens Colonial Marines, when vsync enabled, games have random fps drops for example DOS2, when on boat(small area) with almost static environment and camera it causes random fps drop down to 48FPS for few seconds, when i turned OFF vsync i have almost stable over 200FPS, when i turned enhanced sync and FPS lock (chill or FRTC) all lags moved to cursor only, one day i heard sound distort too, but i havent seen this in Dirt Rally 2.0 and Enlisted seems to run fine too. Really weird. Problem seem to vanish(with enhanced sync) when i turn off fps limit(chill or FRTC) but i dont want to have gpu on full power utilization all the time also 100+FPS are unnecessary. I am using only hdmi TV, another cable did nothing it will be doing all the time if it were cable problem.

0 Likes

Hmmz, you so if you dont throttle its no issue?? 

You could setup a game profile and turn down the powerlimit, or GPU clock. Then let it run without limiters. That will reduce max FPS though also reduce power draw quite a bit. (But thats a trade-off you must be willing to make)

But still a workaround (although do you need 200FPS?), and it might just be that its an issue with the driver and display or a game-issue which breaks frame-pacing. 

You mentioned that it goes to about 48FPS for a few seconds and then goes fine, until the next drop.. right? 

0 Likes
cng
Journeyman III

hello, sorry i was out for quite time, some of newer drivers makes it better but sometimes it still have this weird behavior when random games with 60HZ/FPS VSYNC are dropping few frames but when i disable vsync FPS it never drops under 100, i dont understand why it is droping when it runs flawlesly without VSYNC limitation...just curious, maybe i need to do clean windows instalation...it appears very often now so i think we can close this thread, thanks for your time

0 Likes
cng
Journeyman III

well i started playing Dragon Age Inquisition and its running awfully with VSYNC, its continuously dropping frames from 60FPS(60Hz) down to 52FPS and its lagging as hell, when i turn off vsync i get 76-92FPS in same scene

0 Likes
cng
Journeyman III

i have only one display and didnt have any freesync device until i switched my TV to newer one few days ago, in Dragon Age Inquisition if i disable vsync(freesync enabled) it gets way better(but i have to use radeon chill bcs i dont want to have over 110°C hotspot or very noisy gpu fan) but it still isnt so fluent like other games(for example rocket league) even if i disable chill and let game be rendered in 25% and have over 160fps, anyway i want to use vsync because in many games i see picture tearing even when freesync enable, also i read somewhere that AMD advices to use vsync with freesync

0 Likes
cng
Journeyman III

i get enough of this and switched to 6800XT, stutter disappear(althought it wasnt performance problem with previous card anyway) but rocket league and dragon age inquisition still doesnt running flawlesly with or without vsync 60Hz...

0 Likes