cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

acetken
Adept I

Forced reformat after Adrenalin Edition 21.11.1

I've been doing IT for the better part of 20 years and I've never seen anything even remotely like this. A week ago, I upgraded my video drivers on my Lenovo E15 G3 (current BIOS) laptop running Win10 x64 like I always do.

Starting with the previous non-WHQL adrenalin release, after the factory reset it would install the drivers as normal, reboot and then just sit there booting forever. After about 20 minutes I force powered it off, powered it back on, and then it just hung while booting. It would not repair or even boot into safe mode.

The current WHQL driver seemed to run fine and all other system drivers were current. As soon as I went to the latest adrenalin instead of the strictly WHQL ones, I actually had to reformat to get my system back. I've tried it again with the 21.11.1 release and I'm still having that problem. The system is on Windows 11 now (since I figured if I had to format anyway, I may as well try it) and it's the exact same issue. I've now had to reformat 4 times.

Is anyone else having this weird glitch? It's severely annoying and once I get this back I don't know if I'm going to be able to upgrade my drivers anymore if I have to do a full rebuild every bloody time to test.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ah, thanks for the update.

Well I suggest you open a AMD Service Request and let them know that, in your situation, with your laptop the last 2 AMD drivers (Non-WHQL) are causing a severe crash where you need to reformat the laptop to get video output again after installing the drivers.

If interested here is AMD Service Request (AMD TECH SUPPORT) to advice them of your problem: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Also open a Lenovo Support ticket and let them know about the AMD Driver issue in case other Customers with the same model have the same issue.

I would stress to both Tech Support site, AMD & Lenovo, that AMD basic Laptop Drivers does work normally only the last two versions that were Optional.

I believe the Optional Drivers are really BETA drivers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

went to Lenovo E15 Gen-3 Download page and selected "Critical" updates.

Lenovo has 2 AMD APU processor AMD VGA Drivers for Windows 11: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e15-...

You didn't mention if you are using Lenovo or AMD drivers from AMD Download page.

Also has a AMD CHIPSET driver to download that is critical for Windows 11:

Screenshot 2021-11-03 150948.png

In my opinion it sounds like there is a conflict or not compatible with the AMD Drivers you are using which is trying to initialize when Windows is booting up.

If you were using AMD basic Laptop drivers then I suggest you use Lenovo's AMD drivers first and see if it makes any difference.

Also you might want to run Lenovo's Laptop diagnostics just to see if it spots any hardware or software issues.

Truthfully, I don't know how that would cause you to reformat the drive to get video output on your Laptop. Since when you start booting up there are no Windows driver active.

After restarting your laptop 3 times in a row, the Windows Repair mode menu should have popped up. If the problem reoccurs see if you can use a Windows Installation Flash drive to run Diagnostics on your laptop unless you don't have video output.

Sorry, should have specified. As Lenovo stops updating their drivers pretty quickly and is also generally way behind in posting new ones, I always install drivers from the manufacturer of the hardware. All other drivers on the system were current including AMD chipset drivers from AMD.

I was installing current AMD drivers from the AMD site as they run significantly faster and have better battery utilization as well.

I did attempt repair, but it said it couldn't do anything.

True that Laptop Support generally have out-dated VGA drivers. but the point I was trying to make is see if by installing Lenovo's AMD driver if the laptop works normally. But in this case Lenovo's Windows 11 AMD drivers are from 10/2021. So they are quite current.

If it does then AMD basic laptop drivers somehow is not compatible with your laptop or some other driver installed in your laptop.

If the same thing continues then you need to check your laptop hardware since it should have worked.

AMD Chipset I don't see any issues.

By the way, I always make a System Backup whenever I do any major changes or update drivers on my PC.  That way if something like what happened to you, I can just restore my PC back to the way it was exactly at the time I created the System Backup.

Not sure if you can run a System Backup from a Flash drive or not but should work from an external HDD or SSD.

What is the Make & Model of your laptop's APU and discrete GPU card if installed?

Yeah, as I have been running the laptop for about 6 months now, I have used every new driver coming from AMD. It's only the last two non-WHQL ones that cause this lockup loop.

Even the current WHQL one works without issue (again, all from the AMD site). The CPU is a 5700U with no discrete GPU.

It just makes me paranoid that the new crop of these drivers may kill a laptop out from under me.

Ah, thanks for the update.

Well I suggest you open a AMD Service Request and let them know that, in your situation, with your laptop the last 2 AMD drivers (Non-WHQL) are causing a severe crash where you need to reformat the laptop to get video output again after installing the drivers.

If interested here is AMD Service Request (AMD TECH SUPPORT) to advice them of your problem: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Also open a Lenovo Support ticket and let them know about the AMD Driver issue in case other Customers with the same model have the same issue.

I would stress to both Tech Support site, AMD & Lenovo, that AMD basic Laptop Drivers does work normally only the last two versions that were Optional.

I believe the Optional Drivers are really BETA drivers.