cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jord1920
Journeyman III

Force restart then no video output

I've recently built a new PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 (Ver. 20H2). Twice this has happened where I'll be 2-3 hours of continual use (Gaming, watching videos etc) and it'll act as if someone has pressed the Reset button. It'll immediately turn off and attempt to reboot. I don't get any erorrs in event viewer, no BSOD, just straight to a black screen. However, the RGB in the system doesn't turn off (RGB RAM, AIO, FANS, and the lighting on the GPU).

When the system attempts to boot back into Windows, there's no video output on the monitor. I have tried unplugging and replugging the monitors in, however this doesn't help the situation. I know that the PC has successfully rebooted however as I use a RDP tool on my mobile phone, and I'm still able to get onto the machine. I attempted to open Device Manager to see if the video card had been recognised at all, however it wasn't appearing. AMD driver software didn't recognise a GPU installed at all.

The only way I can get a video output (I've found so far) is to turn the machine back off, pull the power cable out and clear the residual power by holding the power button for 15-20 seconds. I can then replace the power cable and it seems to boot fine.

I've found that the BIOS hasn't reset (XMP profiles on the RAM are still set), and as mentioned before I cannot see any errors in Event viewer. I've been able to run benchmarks on the machine and it seems to be performing correctly. Also I've recently used the Display Driver uninstaller as well and ensure that a recommened version of the GPU driver is installed. I've ran sfc /scannow within windows and all files verified successfully.

The first time this happened I wasn't sure what to do, however when this has happened today I have reseated the GPU, RAM and cleared the CMOS. Can anyone suggest any fixes, or potential culprits?

Specs (All running stock):

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Corsair H100i 240mm AIO
GPU: RX 6800XT
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair 3600Mhz C18
PSU: 850W Corsiar RM850 (Stock cables)

AMD Radeon software info:

https://i.imgur.com/ph2vyUQ.png

Chipset driver info:

https://i.imgur.com/r0veqBn.png

0 Replies