Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

samsam77
Journeyman III

Force laptop to use ATI graphic card instead of Intel

Hi!

Simple is my problem: I have a laptop with 2 graphic cards:  Intel 4000 series and ATI 7600 series.

When I launch a game (for instance Overwatch), my ATI card is not detected and the game runs with the Intel one. I tried to use the AMD Catalyst Control Center, with switchable graphic and all, I tried to shut down the Intel graphic card in the control pannel, but it didn't work (the game wouldn't lauch when I shut down the Intel graphic card).

I really don't know what to do now. I'm on windows 8.1 (can't  upgrade to windows 10 because of the power of the BSoD), and I can't run any game properly....

Thanks for reading, and sorry for my english, i'm a dog .

0 Likes
4 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Force laptop to use ATI graphic card instead of Intel

Update your laptop using Windows Update, especially the relevant Optional and Recommended updates, which will include .netframeworks and C++ upgrades. This must be done before attempting to install AMD graphics drivers.

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics must be the current version. Go to this Intel link, and  use the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest graphics driver for your laptop. Download and save it to your desktop.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Download these AMD drivers to your desktop.... http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows 8.1 - 64

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.****see below

NOTICE IMPORTANT:

****Computers with Intel processors select the entire package for uninstall. ....uninstall everything.

****Computers with AMD processors uninstall the AMD graphics driver only.

Reboot.

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Now install the Intel drivers first....reboot. And lastly the AMD drivers....reboot.

NOTICE: If you do not want raptr/gaming evolved installed with your new drivers, select 'custom install' and uncheck the box for "gaming Evolved".

If you are having issues with the normal installation of the Mobility drivers, use the clean install method , making sure you install the latest Intel drivers.

samsam77
Journeyman III

Thx for your answer!

I did everything but it didn't work, when I launch Overwatch for instance it says that I'm using an Intel 4000

0 Likes
samsam77
Journeyman III

I still need help!

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

In device manager...do you have any yellow marks?

Some laptops allow you the change the graphics solution from 'dynamic' or 'switchable' to fixed' or something similar in the bios. This disables the integrated graphics.

0 Likes