Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gottfriedrege
Newcomer

[fix] Making switchable graphics work for ASUS TUF FX505DY/FX705DY

Hi all,

in the beginning I had problems with getting the switchable graphics (Vega 8 integrated & Radeon RX 560X discrete) to work with my new ASUS TUF FX505DY. Inside Radeon Software the switchable graphics tab itself and the tab for the discrete graphics card RX were vanishing very often. If that was the case the discrete card was also not to be found in the device manager and under the display part of system information (msinfo32). The discrete card would just vanish out of nowhere without any notice. One would just see it when opening any of the above dialogs.

At that point I was running on the very newest drivers:

Radeon Softwareversion - 19.5.1
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019

In this forum I've also seen old threads regarding a very similar issue, but they were not of direct help for me, but at least they gave me some pointers

Having an issue with switchable graphics not using my high performance GPU 

and this AMD article Configuring Laptop Switchable Graphics on a Windows® Based System was also helpful. E.g I learned that one can use the performance tab of Windows' task manager to debug usage of the dedicated graphics card. You can also set the task manager to stay on top of all windows to see it when switching to your game.

Well now to the fix, I read that people tried BIOS updates, that's what I did but the update didn't help with this thing but hey BIOS updates are always good. Asus help in the end gave me the best approach to fixing the problem in their support article [Gaming NB] Setting-up advanced functions of AMD graphic cards in AMD Radeon Setting. (FX505DY/FX705... 

where they link a Radeon package to download from ASUS' servers. I've used the uninstall tool as outlined in the artcle, installed the latest AMD chipset drivers from the ASUS website and thought maybe the chipset drivers will already fix this and installed the latest Radeon software 19.5.1 again. The bug appeared again. So uninstalled all AMD software again, installed the latest chipset drivers again and then actually installed the older Radeon software from ASUS's server that they link to in above article. It is:

Radeon Softwareversion - 18.41.28.04
Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin

and with this now switchable graphics are stable and the discrete card no longer vanishes.

The game Endless Space 2 picks the discrete graphics card (Radeon RX 560X) after I switched away from "energy saving" mode to "high performance" mode in the switchable graphics tab of Radeon settings.

Now I could be happy with what I have, but there are other things to this laptop that I don't like (I don't want a gamer laptop, want a touchscreen and USB-C) so I'm switching to the more expensive HP Enxy x360 15-ds0007ng now. Back to HP, I'm a fanboy of them. The Asus was the only exception in several years.

All specifications of the Asus TUF FX505DY:

Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

Radeon Vega 8 integrated graphics

Radeon RX 560X discrete graphics

8GB RAM

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Best Regards,

Gottfried Rege

0 Likes
4 Replies
galentot
Adept I

Finally fixed this issue on my fx505dy. First, update your bios to version 309 then download both the latest CHIPSET drivers on the asus (version V25.20.14128.4002) and amd (version 19.10) page. Then download the latest rx 560x drivers on the amd page (version 19.6.1). Then I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall the amd drivers currently in my system. After reboot, I started installing the drivers I downloaded in this order: amd chipset from asus => amd chipset from amd => rx 560x driver from amd. Then I tweak it a bit with msi afterburner so that the global settings in the radeon setting would have global wattman tab present (additional tweaks gets me 15% more performance from the rx 560x, saw it from a you tube post). Haven't gotten any issues since I did all this, but I do hope both asus and amd makes a more stable driver in the near future. Hope this helps and goodluck! *results may vary*

Dude you are the BEST I finally got my FX505DY working with your method after formatting my laptop so many times. I can't thank you enough

0 Likes
einlya
Journeyman III

is this method can be done in fx505dv?

0 Likes

I'm running the FX505DV as well. Has anyone successfully tried this with the FX505DV? 

0 Likes