Not to go offtopic but may I ask a quick question about the crimson 16.1?
1. Does it still have the old CCC GUI implemented into the crimson GUI?
2. How is the GPU usage? Is it still fluctuating?
3. Does Crimson still reset your Afterburner overclock profile on either bootup or a restart back to default speeds?
Thankyou for your time.
1. You mean the gpu options and stuff in the control panel controlling tessellation/controlling AA/Shader Cache/Frame Rate Control and Overdrive? If so yes. I have been only using an AMD GPU for 4-6 days.
2. It does not fluctuate as bad at least in Fallout 4 if you overclock an i7 to 4.3ghz.
3. No clue I have not bothered overclocking my Fury X yet.
1.Yes, it still has old CCC GUI burried in it's settings.
2.Yes, GPU usage is still fluctuating but theres nothing wrong with that. It's fluctuating in many games with v-sync on, thats normal for any GPU on the market BUT throttling and downclocking IS still a problem and it's not fixed.
3. Wouldn't know 'cause i'm back on Catalyst
The issue with low perfromance in big city areas is normal for all ppl. Even GTX 980Ti users have these drops in cities. It's game engine's fault. It still uses updated Morrowind engine so the shadows are still being calculated by CPU thus huge drops the higher your shadow distance is set. Thats also the reason why you get better fps if you OC your CPU.
Set shadow distance to Medium or use FPS BOOST mod which most ppl probably do. It helps A LOT.
1. Pretty much. Most options are available in the Crimson Settings, some are semi-hidden behind an "additional settings" button which takes you to a cut-down version of the old CCC.
2. GPU usage ALWAYS fluctuates. I don't know why people are complaining about this. GPU clocks rise and fall in accordance with demand, and this has been the case for many years. The only way to keep your GPU clock locked at its top speed is to use a program like MSI Afterburner to enable unofficial OC modes. If your GPU clock does not max out when playing a game, it's either because the game is not very demanding or because the game is inefficient.
3. Never had this problem with Crimson. I'm using the same Afterburner profiles I was using under Catalyst and they function the same as they always have.
Yes and no, on my GTX Titan my FPS stayed smooth. Yes lowest fps hit 50, but nothing like my AMD R9 Fury X of the 10-19 withmy I7 4770k at stock with Turbo, with overclocking my cpu to 4.3ghz it's at least not dropping below 20-25. If it was the shadows to blame then when running Morrowind/Fallout 3/Fallout NV/Oblivion/Skyrim we would be seeing similar results but that is not the case. With a stock CPU I can reduce shadows to their lowest settings, Godrays off, even going into the Radeon Control Panel lowering tessellation to off, performance does not improve and the only thing I have accomplished is making the game look horrible literally. A FPS drop in heavy assets areas to 50 something fps is acceptable at stock clocks on higher tier hardware, 10-19 is not. People are running older/refresh AMD cards and not even experiencing the drops in FPS like we are with Fuji in Fallout 4.
Well in games that AMD has taken the time to iron out the GPU fluctuation on clocks and gpu usage do not really happen the gpu goes into full overdrive staying at 1040-1050mhz with gpu usage staying at 90-100% constantly.
If AMD can do an overhaul to get Fallout 4 to run on as much of the gpu as possible like they did the Witcher 3 that would be great, but to have that happen they have to go to Bethesda and give us an alternative to gameworks.
Right now the best solution I have found and gained an extra 10 min fps is this tool on the nexus Fallout 4 Configuration Tool - By Bilago at Fallout 4 Nexus - Mods and community
Just have to make sure you put in how many cores your processor has, Set Shadow Distance to 6500"for whatever reason sometimes bethesda sets this to 100k+ killing performance", Make sure the game is running High Priority. On a stock 4770k, Fury X you will see about 40-60 FPS, you can bump the Shadow distance to 2500-3k and you should keep a steady 50-60 FPS at 1920x1080. Use the app above for some reason Bethesda has a bug that sets shadow distance to crazy amounts... on high and Ultra.
I just read this post again, saw what you wrote, launched the launcher normally set shadow distance on medium. Ran the game still horrible performance, used the config tool from the nexus, apparently medium to Bethesda is over 20k.... Now I am getting a Solid 60 FPS all over.
Nope, Ultra is 20000, High is 14000 and Medium is 3000. Must be a bug in Beth's settings not saving properly for you or something.
Have you tried FPS Boost from Nexus? It's better than just setting Shadow distance to Medium because it lowers or raises Shadow distance automatically based on how many fps you have.
Yes I have, in the beta atm so its not working. Just went though and manually set the shadow distance to 6500, so far that yields an fps drop to 45-48 lowest fps average is 60, going to see if I can drop it a little more without it being noticeable. Yeah my Shadow Distance was set to Ultra and Bethesda had it set to 200,000, High was 140,000, and never tried medium... Bethesda really needs to get with the times rockstar and cd project red is doing it shadows on the gpu...