cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

matrimc
Adept I

Re: FFXIV Heavensward dx11 client game crash w/ R9 285

I'm rather playing the dx9 version then 'cause having the game in borderless window mode, having it on the whole day and just alt tabbing to do other stuff has become pretty much a routine. Having it in fullscreen isn't a solution for AMD's whole card lineup not working properly.

Nothing from AMD yet. I would think they are happy to fix problems that pretty much affect 90% of their new sellable cards (fury x excluded).

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

I use DisplayFusion to play my games in fullscreen and multitask. Unfortunately, this program doesn't work in all games. Freesync only works in full screen so I force myself to play in that mode.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss

Can you link us the bug report you posted on SE's forum?

I have been experiencing the exact same problem with the 390x with both the CD drivers 15.200 and the latest 15.15 R9 300 series drivers. I even exchanged the 390x at the store for another thinking it was defective hardware, but the 2nd one ran into the exact same problems.

I was running the DX11 client perfectly without issues previously using the 290x with 14.12 drivers.

So many ridiculous problems with FFXIV DX11 crashing, Metro Last Light crashing, Tomb Raider (2013) crashing and probably other DX11 games I haven't tested. What's even better is I can increase the frequency of the crash simply by starting up any random youtube video on the 2nd or 3rd monitor. My guess is none of the reviewers ran into this problem because they were benchmarking using single monitor setups without background programs running.

Imagine the typical Twitch.tv streamer. They usually have 2-3 monitor setups with the game running in Borderless Fullscreen mode and several other applications running on the other monitors. As soon as a handful of those guys upgrade to these, there is gonna be tons of negative feedback.

This smells like lousy drivers that weren't thoroughly tested.

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

I think the DX11 client is partially to blame. There are a lot of Nvidia users who have their DX11 client crash as well. At the same time, I have had no issues with the Fury X and 290X so there might be something with the drivers as well.

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss

I've seen Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider crash in the same fashion as FFXIV. All 3 are dx11 based games and all are crashing on 390/390x with multimonitor running in borderless full screen mode with youtube video playing on the 2nd monitor.

0 Kudos
matrimc
Adept I

Here's the link on the bug report I made for SE:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Forum

It was shortly highjacked with a report or 2 with nvidia cards reporting the same issues. I haven't heard anything from SE for the matter so far.

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

I'm guessing we won't really see drivers until the end of the month when Windows 10 rolls out. Hopefully crashing issues will be resolved.

0 Kudos
postcards
Adept II

It also looks like they take a look at in-game bugs more than tech support. I should post my FPS issue there (most likely a client isssue).

0 Kudos
theacclaimed
Miniboss

Are you using the 14.12 Omega Catalyst drivers or are you using 15.6 beta?

I never experience the crashes with dx11 client running on 14.12 with a 290x.

I always experience the crashes with dx11 client running on 15.15 with a 390x.

0 Kudos
matrimc
Adept I

12.14 driver... It's not the older architechture cards of 200 series that have this problem, only the tonga line up.

0 Kudos