cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

niquist
Adept I

Feature Request: Radeon Boost to work together wth Radeon Chill on every game!

Radeon Chill is a great feature! I use it in all my games because it really keeps the system cold.

Radeon boost is very good to help us reach high fps in some games but if we enable Radeon boost, the Radeon Chill is automatically disabled. They cant be both enabled at the same time!

These both features are very good together because we could use Chill to keep the system cold and present the best image quality when are not moving our game character or camera, and when we move, the Chill unlocks the FPS, and simultaneously the Radeon Boost would help reach very high frames per second!

Please AMD, make theses technologies work at the same time and make them available in every game!

0 Likes
5 Replies

RE: Radeon Chill is a great feature! I use it in all my games because it really keeps the system cold.

It keeps your system cold because it drops keyboard only input FPS to 55 FPS maximum on any setting that will actually save you any meaningful power and drop temps with no mouse and keyboard input.

Most people say 60 FPS is bare minimum acceptable when gaming. 

RE: Radeon boost is very good to help us reach high fps in some games.

It has to drop resolution significantly when you move mouse to rotate or run fast in DX11 games. 
Very few games are supported.

What is the point of that exactly if the FPS when standing still at the default resolution is still lower than the FPS you get with Boost on and character runs, at 1/2 the resolution for example?
The drop in resolution is often very noticible and the frame rate variation is all over the place, just like Radeon Chill. 

Why push up the FPS and reduce resolution when character rotates anyhow? All you see is a blur anyway.
Why not just drop the FPS to minimum whilst rotating and then ramp it up as mouse decelerates to a stop? 
Wouldn't that make more sense?

There is a way to do that with Radeon Chill, but AMD are not interested to implement it. 
I have been asking for many years now. 

Low FPS when rotating blur, (maybe with a resolution drop, but probably not worth it), then when mouse stops GPU would be at lower temp and run at higher FPS when you can actually see something properly.

RE: They cant be both enabled at the same time!
That ~ makes sense to me. 
One is trying to drop FPS to save power whilst the other is trying to increase FPS at the cost of resolution, to pretty much waste power if you ask me, since low res blur = normal res blur to me.  

I think it would be better if AMD could fix Keyboard Only Input FPS response for Chill, allow Chill to run at min FPS when fast rotate. Been asking foir years. 

I think they should forget about Radeon Boost as it is implemented today for DX11. 
I tried it on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider recently for example. 

Best way to get faster FPS is to use the DX12 interface and that way your AMD GPU will run much faster at the resolution you want w/o using Radeon Boost at all. 

I think they should  just make sure that Variable Rate Shading (VRS) in DX12 and Vulkan works.
That is a smarter version of Radeon Boost in DX11.  

In addition they need VRS in DX12 work with and increase RayTracing performance on RX6000 series GPUs.

0 Likes

RE: It keeps your system cold because it drops keyboard only input FPS to 55 FPS maximum on any setting that will actually save you any meaningful power and drop temps with no mouse and keyboard input.

I just made a little test here to check what fps my system keep when Im only input keyboard to the game.

In Battlefield 4, I set Chill minimum at 70 and max to 90. When moving the camera with mouse the Chill fully unlocks fps to 90 and when using just keyboard it kept fps at 80.

I then change Chill minimum to 60 and max to 120. When using mouse it unlocks fps to 120 and when using only keyboard it kepts fps at 80 too.

I dont know what you are talking about 55fps. Maybe that just happen in some particular game.

RE: Why push up the FPS and reduce resolution when character rotates anyhow? All you see is a blur anyway.
Why not just drop the FPS to minimum whilst rotating and then ramp it up as mouse decelerates to a stop?
Wouldn't that make more sense?

Absolutely not!
When we are rotating our view in game, specially in shooters or first person games we need the maximum fluidity. So when rotating is the exactly moment we need the max available fps for fluidity and precision aim.
Also when we rotate the view fast we cannot realize the minimum details in image so the maximum image quality is not necessary despite the amout of blur and thus max resolution is not necessary at these moments. (its a player preference anyway, nobody is obliged to use it).

When we are standing still with a still background image is when we need the maximum image quality and clarity because is when we realize the full image details. Usually at theses moment just other NPC or other players are moving and if we keep fps at 60 (or orther depending of player preference), is more than enough to other objects (or players) movements seem continuous and natural.

Any time you cap you fps you will maintain you system cold but Chill is a smarter fps cap. I see we should have also one more setting to adjust the max fps when we are just imputing from keyboard.
AMD could surely implement this feature too.

0 Likes

You need to drop Chill_min to 30 to save significant power when stationary, especially at higher resolutions. 
Then you get max Keyboard Only Input Fps of 55 fps.
Chill was originally designed by Hialgo to run at ~ 60 FPS max.

RE: When we are rotating our view in game, specially in shooters or first person games we need the maximum fluidity. So when rotating is the exactly moment we need the max available fps for fluidity and precision aim.
Also when we rotate the view fast we cannot realize the minimum details in image so the maximum image quality is not necessary despite the amout of blur and thus max resolution is not necessary at these moments. (its a player preference anyway, nobody is obliged to use it).

I disagree, but you you are entiltled to your opinion. It sounds like AMD Marketing to me though.

A blur is a blur to me. I cannot aim or do anything accurate during a blurry screen when I move my mouse rapidly. What I want is for the FPS to ramp up quickly when the mouse input speed drops to almost stationary, that is when I can see properly and aim and fire. 

How can you "precision aim when you are rotating and all you see is 1/2 resolution for the entire screen including the central region of your vision on top of that anyhow? That is what Radeon Boost does in DX11. I had to set 50% resolution to see FPS uplift when running forward in the titles I tested. 

Variable Rate Shading in Radeon Boost for DX12 on a few games for the RX6000 series cards is better in that it only reduces resolution outside the focal area of vision.  If they can get that to work with their initial implementation of RayTracing that would be good as they need all the performance improvement they can get. 

RE: Any time you cap you fps you will maintain you system cold but Chill is a smarter fps cap.

There is nothing smart about Chill. 
It detects input on certain keys on the keyboard. 
In some games it does not detect certain keyboard inputs and sticks the game FPS at Chill_Min when it should not. 
Chill also detects mouse movement. 
That is it. 

There is lots of AMD Marketing BS about Chill and many people think it is far more complicated than it really is.
I have heard the lot over the years about Chill magical abilities that are actually total tripe.

RE: I see we should have also one more setting to adjust the max fps when we are just imputing from keyboard.

There are already a couple of windows registry variables to do it, last time I looked.
AMD just need to add adjustment slider or radio button to set them.

There is also a way to make mouse movement be ignored and NOT ramp up the FPS if you move the mouse rapidly. 
That prevents wasting FPS when rotating so fast you see nothing anyhow, but clicking on mouse fire button or keyboard can ramp the FPS up to 60FPs or higher immediately if you set the variables I mentioned. 

But AMD they will not do it. Been asking for years. 
Original posts about it were deleted from this AMD Forum when they went to the new format. 
Multiple bug requests. Nothing. 

RE: AMD could surely implement this feature too.
Yes they could.
But they clearly do not care or listen.

I think you are on a "hiding to nothing". 
Good luck though. 

0 Likes

I think you are the only person in the world that thinks high fps is not necessary when you are rotating all the screen.

Gamers along time starts want more and more fps in their games just because the movement become smooth and moment it is more important is when you are rotating the mouse.

Radeon chill is great. It really makes my system works a lot colder here without cause any trouble to me. Its a lot smarter than just cap your fps. If you know what it is and why you want it, so its great.

The main problem this topic explain is that Radeon boost cannot be enable together with Radeon Chill. Chill works very good in any fps range I choose here.

A lot of uses would benefit from it. If you dont like it you simple dont use it. I think it would be great.

0 Likes

RE:I think you are the only person in the world that thinks high fps is not necessary when you are rotating all the screen. 

I do not think that higher fps at lower resolution for the entire screen including the central field of vision and using more GPU power than achieved with game character stationary is a good idea. High FPS just before mouse rotation stops is more important to me.  Probably best to use FRTC with Boost to prevent Boost FPS going too high or above the monitor FreeSync range anyhow, if you prefer in game VSync off. 

I use Radeon Chill when I game at 4K Ultra ~60FPS with an RX Vega 64 Liquid. BFV is one such title. 
That is how I know to set those Chill Variables and how to stop mouse movement ramping up FPS with Chill. 
The RX Vega 64 Liquid cannot run that game at those settings and actually hit 60 FPS "in action" w/o Radeon Chill. 

0 Likes